News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC Puryear, TN, July 24-31, 2011

Started by dond, August 08, 2011, 10:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

OOPS! I can't believe I posted this in the wrong place earlier. Just in too much of a hurry I suppose.

Five people were signed up for this event and it was disappointing when only three attended. Two were new to Appleseed and one is a current IIT2. In addition to these, I was ably assisted by the RH, Calfret. The first few days were devoted to instruction, shooting, and history. Everyone shot the Rifleman Score except one who was experiencing much pain after such intensive shooting. Following this, Known Distance material was covered. A good portion of this was material which I developed independently of the RBC POI and the Appleseed KD material. The shooter who was experiencing pain decided it would be better for him to leave at this time, before the KD shooting began.

After the KD presentation, Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, we went to the 600 yard range where the KD shooting began. In spite of the heat, which was oppressive all week, much good experience was obtained. One of the attendees, the IIT, had to leave for the rest of the week, although he did return for the concluding AS. Another shooter, who was shooting a Mosin-Nagant, was doing very well, but realizing he would never be able to obtain a Rifleman's score with it, opted to spend Thursday immersing himself in IMC, history, and other AS essentials instead of returning to the range. He accomplished much in this endeavor. Calfret and I returned to the range during this time, and I am convinced he would have obtained the KD Rifleman's score if it hadn't been for the devastating heat and humidity. An application of the KD material presented enabled him to use his mil-dot scope to obtain the distance to the targets with excellent precision.

Calfret and I conducted the mock AS at my home on Friday for the Mosin-Nagant shooter because of the better proximity of air conditioning and sustenance. Besides, they were both staying at my home anyway. In addition, this shooter spent additional time on AS essentials. Unfortunately, he had to leave for home Friday evening before the concluding AS due to a family emergency. However, he is committed to Appleseed and accepted an Orange Hat. He intends to work at the next available AS near his home to advance in rank.

The concluding Appleseed, which followed, has been described in the usual AAR and IAAR.

During the RBC we formulated a Rifleman's Team AQT which was highly entertaining and useful. A description follows. Two shooters, shooter 1 and shooter 2, teamed up to engage a single AQT. On Stage One, each shooter prepped a magazine with five rounds. On command, the shooters each shot five rounds into the target in a time limit of one minute.

For Stage Two, each shooter began with two magazines prepped two and three, and on command began with the magazine containing two rounds. Shooter one then delivered three rounds to the first target and two to the second target. Shooter two delivered three rounds to the second target and two to the first target in a time of 30 seconds.

For Stage Three, each shooter again began with two magazines prepped two and three and on command began with the magazine containing two rounds. Shooter one delivered three rounds to the first target and two to the third target while shooter two delivered three rounds to the second target and two to the third target in a time of 35 seconds.

For Stage Four, each shooter prepped a magazine with five rounds. On command each  shooter delivered one round to each of the first two targets. Then shooter one delivered two rounds to target three and one to target four, while shooter two delivered one round to target three and two to target four. The time permitted was 20 seconds, but it was discovered that this could be reduced to 10 or 15 seconds.

In spite of the low attendance, this RBC was a success. It highly impressed the shooter who had to leave in pain, it gained us a new enthusiastic recruit, and it enhanced the abilities of the existing instructors.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken