News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

VA AIBC is a Go!

Started by jmdavis, August 08, 2011, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

There are still some details to work out, but it appears that the VA AIBC is going to happen August 27-morning of Aug 28. It will be followed by a trip to St JOhns Church for a reenactment of the Second Virginia Convention and Patrick Henry's Speech. I am in the process of reserving the Clubhouse at Cavalier for us to do the AIBC. It has AC, a fridge, is beside the bathhouse, etc.

You do not need to participate in the AIBC to attend the speech. But I do need numbers to go ahead and reserve seats. If you have not please respond on the Patrick Henry topic if you would like to join us.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

The Wolfhound

Disappointing to see the morning of the 28th suddenly added.  It will make the weekend difficult with church commitments.  What is the COI for an AIBC.  What do we need to come equipped for?  Is it limited to IIT and above or is it open to possible IIT candiates?

jmdavis

Quote from: The Wolfhound on August 08, 2011, 03:55:46 PM
Disappointing to see the morning of the 28th suddenly added.  It will make the weekend difficult with church commitments.  What is the COI for an AIBC.  What do we need to come equipped for?  Is it limited to IIT and above or is it open to possible IIT candiates?

That morning is a worst case scenario in my mind. Come for what you can attend. There will be some people camping at the Range so I added that "just in case."

I hope that we get stuff done on Saturday. I am only expecting 6-8 people so things could move quickly.

Mike

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

jmdavis

You need yourself, something to write with/on and an open mind. That should be it. There are some suggestions for stuff to read from the forums.

Call me about the prospective IIT.

Mike

Patent guy

BeSwift & I may be able to join you all for this.  Who else can join us? 
Having attended the WV AIBC last March, I can tell you that the shared experience is very worthwhile.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

sashok.privetov

There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

BeSwift

Quote from: Patent guy on August 11, 2011, 12:07:21 PM
BeSwift & I may be able to join you all for this.  Who else can join us? 
Having attended the WV AIBC last March, I can tell you that the shared experience is very worthwhile.

I am now 100% confirmed for attendance at both this and the Patrick Henry speech..
BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Patent guy

Where, exactly, is the "Clubhouse at Cavalier"?
Some of us want to choose a hotel and that info will help us find the closest option.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

The Wolfhound

That would  be the club house at the Cavalier range.  See this week's shoot for directions.  It is the same place.

Tidewater_Shooter

Quote from: Patent guy on August 19, 2011, 02:10:27 PM
Where, exactly, is the "Clubhouse at Cavalier"?
Some of us want to choose a hotel and that info will help us find the closest option.

Ashland is about 20-30 minutes away and offers a good selection of hotels.  I stayed in that area this weekend and it worked out well.

Patent guy

We are considering camping, but now we have this:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/085712.shtml?5-daynl

It appears Irene may be joining us on Saturday.

This storm track is a prediction which, for us, may mean nothing, because the storm may stay east, slow down, lose strength or do all 3.

Fred

Hmmm, is there a chance that the Patrick Henry event will be canceled?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Old Dog

Channel 12 (Richmond, Va) news/weather stated this morning that there is a chance the hurricane will turn eastward and pass by farther off the coast but they are urging folks not to go to the beach this weekend (wait till Monday they said) and for the eastern part of Virginia to prepare for flooding, winds that could exceed 100 mph and loss of electrical power.

Its still a few days off (the storm and the weekend) but big storms can have big effects.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Tidewater_Shooter

If the track of the storm does not change I will not be able to attend this weekend's events.

Patent guy

Shaken, but not stirred here in Maryland, but we felt it and had a few trinkets to pick up. 

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/se082311a.html

Is everybody okay?  Also, we are still doing this, correct?

Maybe we need a slogan like the Postal Carriers:  "Neither hurricanes nor earthquakes..." 

Fred

Since an AIBC is a lot of work and commitment for all of us, which means we want the maximum number of people there, let me suggest that we set Friday at 3 PM as a "GO-NO GO" decision point.

If the storm heads out east into the Atlantic, I don't see why the AIBC can't be a "Go", like the thread title says.

If it heads in any other direction, I think we should postpone it, as someone will not be able to come - maybe many "someones".

So, stay tuned, check in here about 3 PM Friday - any of you can check the storm track and make the call, and we'll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

jmdavis

Quote from: Fred on August 23, 2011, 04:25:11 PM

Since an AIBC is a lot of work and commitment for all of us, which means we want the maximum number of people there, let me suggest that we set Friday at 3 PM as a "GO-NO GO" decision point.

If the storm heads out east into the Atlantic, I don't see why the AIBC can't be a "Go", like the thread title says.

If it heads in any other direction, I think we should postpone it, as someone will not be able to come - maybe many "someones".

So, stay tuned, check in here about 3 PM Friday - any of you can check the storm track and make the call, and we'll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

That sounds like the smart bet. Regardless we have tickets for Patrick Henry.

Like Tidewater_shooter, if hurricane damage is expected in Richmond I will be on call for our data centers.

Mike

Tidewater_Shooter

Mike,

We got a good jolt from the earthquake down here how was it in Richmond?

BTW, earthquakes, hurricanes, what's next swarms of Locust?

jmdavis

Oh it was interesting. We were in a faculty meeting at the time. After the shaking stopped we evactuated the building and then I started the process of checking chiller and in-row AC water connections. We found no real damage to our infrastructure in this building.

It is funny that I had been meeting with other Technology Directors yesterday morning to discuss whether we were ready to implement our hurricane contingency plan. What would you like to bet that we will have an Earthquake contingency plan mandate soon?

Mike

Fred

FWIW, the current weather forecast for Montpelier, VA:

QuoteFriday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 80. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 69.

Let's see what it says, Friday morning...

jmdavis

It's looking worse for Richmond. WXRisk meteorologist Dave Tolliver is forecasting tropical storm force winds >39<75mph and 5 inches of rain. Things are still fluid but it appears that the various computer models are converging and indicating a track that hits Morehead City and Norfolk. Most of the forecasts aren't showing this but they are from yesterday. We should expect updates today.

Fred

Well, this is weird! Current official national weather forecast for Montpelier, VA (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Montpelier&state=VA&site=AKQ&textField1=37.8144&textField2=-77.6777):

QuoteFriday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. East wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 80. East wind between 8 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 74. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Sunday: Partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 84.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 59.

No hurricane here! Remember, the decision point will be tomorrow, Friday, at 3 PM. By then, the weather forecast should be getting pretty accurate.

Also remember, the goal of this event is to have as many people show as we can - so if our guys from Maryland can't show, or anyone else is prevented by foul weather, we may want to put it off to a nice weekend when everyone can be there.

Stay tuned for 3 PM tomorrow. If any of you at that time, checking the local forecast, do not think you can make it, please post here by 3 PM tomorrow, so we can have a better assessment on which to base the decision. Thanks!

jmdavis

Latest Euro computer model shows high likelyhood of landfall at Morehad City NC, then up to VA Beach and up the Bay to Ocean City and finally NYC.

VA Beach has issued a voluntary evacuation for Sandbridge.

The problem with the forecast is that they have not caught up to the simulations from today yet which show a more westward track.

Regardless I think that we are likely to be down two people (The_Wolfhound will be on call for work and Tidewater_Shooter probably will be too). No word from BESwift or Patent-Guy yet.

Mike

Tidewater_Shooter

My apologies.  I will definitely not be attending this weekend activities.  I intend to ride this one out and then see what help the neighbors need.  After the last hurricane, we spent a week helping people dig out.

Here's to hoping that Irene turns east.

Then again, I could always use the opportunity to get sight dope in randomly shifting 70 MPH winds. 

The Wolfhound

Yeah but remember that that site dope will include tagets also moving at 70 MPH.  Now that becomes a challenge.

Patent guy

I'm afraid this storm is keeping me closer to home guys, at least for Saturday.   :'(

Fred

All: The event has been postponed due to weather concerns - see http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24760.msg190610#msg190610