News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Charlotte, NC July 30-31

Started by Lawrence, August 02, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Project Appleseed enjoyed confirmation and encouragement anew this weekend at the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club.

Prudence Cummings Wright would have been proud of Lisa from nearby Waxhaw, NC. Planning for her extended family's visit from Virginia, she took charge and courageously encouraged each and all to participate in an Appleseed event. Everyone was pre-registered and arrived excited and enthusiastic despite the predicted 100 degree temperatures. During introductions, it was immediately apparent that all "parental units" actively participated in their children's educations. Each young student listened attentively, displayed manners and repeated all safety rules and procedures without mistake. Lisa mentioned that she discovered our program through researching home schooling ideas and thought it would be a good experience. Our admiration abounds!

The family firing line was a heart warming sight. One 8 year old, two 9's, one 10 and one 12, with two Moms and two Dads. Another young father from Charlotte increased our total attendance to 10.

Neil R (IIT3), member of our host range and chitty (IIT 2), recent graduate of the Ramseur RBC last May instructed and contributed loaners and needed accouterments and encouragement.

The morning went quickly and without incident, a compliment to all parents. Because neither family could return on Sunday and this being everyones first Appleseed, we devoted most of the afternoon to heritage and history between marksmanship practice,  as relief from the heat was much needed. Very early in the telling of the "First Strike" it was clear that both families had laid a foundation of learning and travel which enabled their children to truly appreciate the uniqueness of their heritage. The level of participation and responsiveness was remarkable. True hope for the future on display. Even some of the club's RSO's were able to hear portions of the history presentations while cooling off in the air conditioned clubhouse.

After lunch, everyone's marksmanship showed great improvement but neither family took part in the afternoon AQT. Everyone was "cooked" by the heat. Our young father stayed for the only Saturday ATQ and returning on Sunday earned his Rifleman patch. All promised to return for another Appleseed in the fall.

It is my hope and prayer that families like these grow, prosper and abound! They are all the encouragement I need for the future.

Lawrence

My attempted photo of Jonathan, our latest Rifleman would not download, so any photos you may have will be much appreciated.

AndrewC

This was our first experience with Project Appleseed and we could not be more excited by it. We had asked our good friends from Richmond, Virginia to come and join us. Kevin, a retired New York City Police Lieutenant and his family all had more experience with firearms than my family and I was slightly nervous this would be a disapointing experience for them. As it turned out, his family was as excited by the event as we were. We headed out that morning expecting that the projected100 plus degree temperatures would make us want to leave at lunch. As it turned out, the quality of instruction, on the range, and the fascinating look at history was enough for us to brave the high temps. Our only regret is that we did not sign up for 2 days. We are already making plans for the the event in October. Kudos to Lawrence, Neil and Randy for their patience, professionalism and helpfulness. We all left there better shooters, but more importantly, better Americans.

Lawrence

Andrew,

Thanks for posting the great photos. The T-shirts you were shorted are in the mail.

Look forward to seeing you at Ramseur or the next Charlotte event in October!

Best regards,
Lawrence

jbachman

This was my first Appleseed and boy was it great.  I had a wonderful time and learned a ton.  Through the great instruction of Lawrence, Randy, and Neil, my shooting improved a lot over the two days.  I really enjoyed the history lesson as well.  I definitely left there with a much greater understanding and appreciation for what our Founding Fathers gave for this country.  I will definitely attend another one!

Jonathan