News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hernando Sportsman's Club July 30,31, 2011 - "Sauna Seed"

Started by PHenry, August 02, 2011, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

We call these "Sauna Seeds" down here and this one was a beauty. Actually, the weather was quite tolerable owing to a nice breeze and rain both days - 10 minutes after we finished!  :cool2: For thems who failed to attend over concerns about the heat or rain - you missed out, as we suffered little of the first and none of the latter.

Four brave men showed up to celebrate their unique American heritage and improve their characters through a tiny bit of adversity. We had Bill, who's done this before and Ken who spent 20 years in the military, so he's no stranger to shooting and then Tony, who brung his two growed young men in order to expose them to some marksmanship and history.

Both Panhead and myself were not especially pleased with the low turn out and grumbled as we loaded our gear - "lotta work for four attendees", etc. But, within the first hour we both agreed that it was well worth the effort and we have Bill, Ken, George, Zach and Tony to thank for fixing our attitude problem. Ya'll were great to work with and I know I speak for both of us when I say thank you.

Bill brung a mint Garand and it's always a pleasure to see someone who knows how to handle one of those fine old battle rifles. George was shooting his dad's competition AR and Zach had dad's standard A2 version. Ken brought a 22 I had never seen, but after some work - he got it under good control and turned in some excellent scores.

There was a bit of friendly competition between Zach and George. Zach was outpacing George Sat AM, which was pretty easily done as George had never fired so much as a BB rifle in his entire life and Zach has been shooting with Dad since he was little. However, as the weekend wore on, George began to catch up and on some COFs, even beat Zach, who was a great sport about it. Two fine young men for sure.

We tried some modified KD on Sunday at the max range available - 50 yards. It actually went pretty well and afforded all of the shooters to see that what they learnt at 25M really did work out to greater distance. We also deviated from the standard Appleseed POI with a "water bottle challenge". The silly shoot boss filled up three empty water bottles with tap water and set them on the berm at 50 yards+.

I declared that we'd pitch the dangerous old men agin the youngsters and see who could hit their bottle first. Well, old timers rule! Ken (who's not so old really), put at least three rounds into his bottle, while George and Zach scarred theirn real bad, but only knocked them over by hitting the dirt underneath.

We reset Zach and Goerge's bottles at the 25M line and they both hit them on the first try. Ken did have the only scoped rifle, but hey, us old guys deserve a little slack right?  ^-^

While we didn't reveal any Riflemen at this go round, all present did show great improvement and vowed to return to give that nasty old unforgiving AQT another crack!  ~~:) ~~:)

Many thanks to all who came out and braved the heat to celebrate our unique American heritage!  O0 O0

In Liberty,
PHenry

Pics to follow ASAP
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

American51

Tray, Please send me your address.  I have something to send you.  Also, thanks for a great time.  I hope to make rifleman next time.  See you in Oct. O0