News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

PROMOTION TO ADAPTIVES

Started by Firewall99, July 19, 2011, 08:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

How would you word an ad or flier to signal adaptives that it's OK to come to a shoot?

All I've got now is:

WE ARE ACCOMODATING TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND HAVE AN ADAPTIVE PROGRAM THAT ACCOMODATES THOSE WITH PHYSICAL ISSUES.

Any better ideas?  (We need to keep the wording short and sweet.)

"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

Unbridled Liberty

Something short?  How about "Disabled shoot free.*"  And the "*" disclaimer: with ID (i.e. proof of disability).  The word FREE usually gets peoples attention real good.

Also, I would not get so specific as to mention "physical issues" to the exclusion of all other kinds of disabilities.  For instance, those shooters on your line who constantly ask you to repeat the details of the next stage of the AQT may have some kind of learning, processing or memory disability.  I'm not saying they should shoot for free (although, as the blue hat who is checking them in,  I would advocate to the SB on their behalf if they showed me a written copy of a professional diagnosis of such a disability.), I'm just saying that many disabilities are not visible.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Firewall99

You made great points.

I keep forgetting that there are so many types of disabilities.  Glad I asked.

Thanks!

"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

desertrat144

Quote from: Firewall99 on July 19, 2011, 09:27:26 PM
You made great points.

I keep forgetting that there are so many types of disabilities.  Glad I asked.

Thanks!

You might consider building on Unbridled Liberty's
Quote"Disabled shoot free.*"  And the "*" disclaimer: with ID (i.e. proof of disability).
by directing the the readers and target audience Adaptive Appleseed Program for admissions criteria, and mention that "Husbands of currently deployed wives are guests of AS upon showing proof of deployment.  There should be a shorter URL directly.

A Vets organization that I'm on the BOD of in NV- the  Paralyzed Veteran's of America (PVA), gets a lot of recreational opportunities for the OEF/OIF/OND Vets, but virtually nothing for families that are separated via deployment.  We're not the USO, Red Cross &c., but Fred has graciously consented to allowing husbands of deployed females to be guests.

Tom

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Ishy

The wording I would suggest is "Physically Challenged" rather that "Disabled."  My two cents.   :)
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

The ][rishman

Ishy's two cents here is likely worth a dollar.

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abĂș
KD0OHT

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Ishy on July 20, 2011, 11:10:09 AM
The wording I would suggest is "Physically Challenged" rather that "Disabled."  My two cents.   :)

I would tend to disagree.  Again, not all impairments ("challenges") are physical in nature.  Personally, I don't care for the term "disabled" either, but in using the term "disabled" above I was trying to stay consistent with the information on the Appleseed website.  I tend to favor the phrase "individuals with disabilities".  Just my $.02  ;)
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

We can [dis]cuss Physically Challenged v. Disabled until we are blue in the face, and the original request to include A.AS becomes moot due to publication dead lines.

For what its worth, Disabled is a term used in most state's laws, and federal laws- it has a meaning attached to it that is across the board in use.  Unfortunately, Physically Challenged is used in some states in a way that makes the individual handling a firearm questionable.

Since this request is going out to the general public as a promotional item, perhaps the term Disabled would be better.  Once folks go to the A.AS Admissions Manuals and start [hopefully] reading them, their 'education' begins, starting with verbiage.

My 2/100ths of a dollars worth.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Firewall99

Taking the suggestions so far, this is the updated copy for hunters (with the adaptive suff near the bottom):

HUNTERS

WANT TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE HEART OR THE LUNGS?  ACCURATELY?

HOW ARE YOU GONG TO DO THAT IF YOU SHOOT LESS THAN 51 ROUNDS A YEAR FROM A BENCH?

COME TO APPLESEED, AND LEARN NOT ONLY HOW TO HIT WHERE YOU WANT, BUT ALSO HOW TO GET THE FIRST SHOT OFF IN LESS THAN 2 SECONDS.  ACCURATELY.

WE TAKE YOU THROUGH THE ENTIRE WWII MILITARY MARKSMAN COURSE FROM SQUARE ONE TO 400 YARDS IN ONE DAY AND HAMMER IT IN ON THE SECOND DAY.

500 TO 800 ROUNDS LATER, YOU CAN SHOOT MORE ACCURATELY IN ALL FIELD POSITIONS.

WE ARE ACCOMMODATING TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND HAVE AN ADAPTIVE PROGRAM THAT ACCOMMODATES THOSE WITH DISABILITIES.

COURSE FEE IS $80 FOR BOTH DAYS ($70 IF YOU PREREGISTER ONLINE AT WWW.RWVA.ORG).  WOMEN ARE $10, AND THOSE UNDER 21 ARE $5.  WITH PROOF OF STATUS: ACTIVE MILITARY, LEO's, REENACTORS IN AUTHENTIC GARB, AND THOSE WITH DISABILITIES SHOOT FREE.

GO TO RWVA.ORG AND REGISTER FOR A SHOOT IN YOUR AREA NOW!

(Please forgive the all caps.  I didn't want to type it all over again.)

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

desertrat144

FW,

Quote ...REENACTORS IN AUTHENTIC GARB, AND THOSE WITH DISABILITIES SHOOT FREE.

If you add QUALIFIED in front of DISABILITIES, that should work.  Adding QUALIFIED at least implies everything isn't carte blanche.  If there's room could you add HUSBANDS OF DEPLOYED SPOUSES (just keeping with your format here) to the FREE category?

Thanks for you asking about and help with the project.

Tom

Firewall99

Are there some disabilities that are not "qualified?"  Or do you mean qualified as in "with proper ID?"

As to the latter, I was trying to cover that with the "proof of status" part without getting too detailed on all the various disclaimer ID requirements.

I like the "spouses of deployed troops" idea.  Is that official yet?  How would they prove that?

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

desertrat144

FW,

Yes there are disabilities not allowed.  First and fore most, the individual must be able to handle a firearm safely even with assistance i.e. know what cease fire means, know what a secured firearm involves, &c..  A very close second issue is they must be legally allowed to use and possess firearms under their states laws.  We could split hairs with domicile v. residence, and travelling interstate, but you get the idea and intent.

Proof of status criteria can be found in the Adaptive Appleseed Admissions Manual.  For some disabilities there are prerequisites for admission.  The original team, myself and another departed AS member cussed and discussed every phrase in excruciatingly painful detail to maximize everyone's safety while not disqualifying everyone at the start.

The "spouses of deployed troops" is Official to the best of my knowledge, or at least until last Feb. when I had to step back due to a vehicle accident.  I'm still catching up on a lot of the changes, and have not heard differently from anyone. 
The Proof of status would be an active Military Dependant's ID Card, along with a copy of Deployment Orders or branch of service equal.  Most the SBs, IITs, &c. are current or recently separated service mm embers, so final authentication would be their area of expertise.

I hope this helps a bit.  Mt apologies for referring to the manuals, but there is a broad number of issues and prerequisites discussed.

Tom

Firewall99

Quote from: desertrat144 on July 23, 2011, 06:29:57 PM
FW,

Yes there are disabilities not allowed.  First and fore most, the individual must be able to handle a firearm safely even with assistance i.e. know what cease fire means, know what a secured firearm involves, &c..  A very close second issue is they must be legally allowed to use and possess firearms under their states laws.  We could split hairs with domicile v. residence, and travelling interstate, but you get the idea and intent.

Proof of status criteria can be found in the Adaptive Appleseed Admissions Manual

Guess it's finally time for me to read the manual!  I've been on sabbatical myself lately.  Time to catch up.

Quote from: desertrat144 on July 23, 2011, 06:29:57 PM
The "spouses of deployed troops" is Official to the best of my knowledge, or at least until last Feb. when I had to step back due to a vehicle accident.  I'm still catching up on a lot of the changes, and have not heard differently from anyone. 
The Proof of status would be an active Military Dependant's ID Card, along with a copy of Deployment Orders or branch of service equal.  Most the SBs, IITs, &c. are current or recently separated service mm embers, so final authentication would be their area of expertise.

I hope this helps a bit.  Mt apologies for referring to the manuals, but there is a broad number of issues and prerequisites discussed.

Tom

There aren't any military SB's around here, as you can surmise from my ignorance on military ID's. 

Now, on to the manual for me....

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.