News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

T-shirt not seen on THIS forum before

Started by Old Dog, July 18, 2011, 01:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

I went to WalMart with my youngest son (now 24 years old) the other day.  He was walking along in front of me as we travelled back to the electronics section of the store when I realized his shift was "different".

I didn't realize he still had the Appleseed T-shirt he got at the first Virginia Appleseed down at Stuart, VA in Sept. 2006.  I took cellphone pictures of the front and back and I'll try to remember to post them after I get home today.  I wonder how many of those t-shirts are still being worn around these days?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old Dog

as promised, the front and back of the first Virginia Appleseed t-shirt

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

jmdavis

Thanks Old Dog. I don't think that I had ever seen that one.

For those that don't know. Sic Semper Tyrannis (Thus Always to Tyrants) is the motto on the Virginia State Flag adopted in 1776. If you look at that flag you will see how men like Patrick Henry believed that Tyrants should be dealt with.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

slim

jmdavis

Quote from: slim on July 19, 2011, 08:46:13 AM
You've uploaded those to peopleofwalmart.com already, right?

Why would we post it there Slim? Is there something about the photos, the motto or the T-Shirt that suggests it is funny or should be made fun of? I don't think so, though I will let Old Dog speak for himself.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Son of Martha

Still got mine.

That was the first stand-alone AS I worked as an instructor, fresh out of the first EVER boot camp.

Good days.  You ever see the guy who was so good with the Garand anymore?

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

techres

Quote from: jmdavis on July 19, 2011, 10:48:07 AM
Quote from: slim on July 19, 2011, 08:46:13 AM
You've uploaded those to peopleofwalmart.com already, right?

Why would we post it there Slim? Is there something about the photos, the motto or the T-Shirt that suggests it is funny or should be made fun of? I don't think so, though I will let Old Dog speak for himself.

Slim was thinking about all free advertising being good advertising I expect.

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Roland

IMHO, that shirt is WAY cooler then our current ones. Then again, I don't own either a Garand on an M1A/M14
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

jmdavis

Quote from: techres on July 19, 2011, 12:55:58 PM
Slim was thinking about all free advertising being good advertising I expect.

Take a look at the site. I'm not sure that we want Appleseed associated with photos like this:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/47533

slim

Quote from: techres on July 19, 2011, 12:55:58 PMSlim was thinking about all free advertising being good advertising I expect.
Yep. Millions of hits a day.

George Hacker

Despite the number of hits a day, is it a good idea to associate Appleseed with such epic failure?  Sometimes it is good to just say "no" and walk away...

- Shadowman
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Old Dog

Quote from: Son of Martha on July 19, 2011, 12:29:03 PM
Still got mine.

That was the first stand-alone AS I worked as an instructor, fresh out of the first EVER boot camp.

Good days.  You ever see the guy who was so good with the Garand anymore?

SoM

No, I've talked to him a time or two on the internet (other forums).  He left the old RWVA forum after one of those nasty threads about law enforcement officers attendance fees (or attending for free) turned into a bash the LEO's series of posts.  Last time I talked to him he was still living/working down in SW VA after returning from a deployment to the mid-eastern conflict.

His demonstration of 4 clips in 60 seconds convinced me that if you took the time to learn your M1 Garand you could do just about what an M1A shooter could do (and do it with more style  @)).

Every now and then my son asks me about "that guy that loaned me a sling for my FAL".  I tell him you're an even nicer guy now than you were then.  Yes, that was a great weekend.  That weekend is what got me to go to the 2nd ever RBC in Feb. 2007 (where you instructed).

You are the only one of the three instructors from that weekend still in the program.  I have not seen or heard from the other two in years.  The last time I talked to Mountain Logger was the Sept. 2007 Stuart, VA Appleseed and I haven't seen/talked to you know who since April of 2007.

Have a good one.