News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Manhattan July 15-16

Started by kDan, July 17, 2011, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

Boy did I get some looks on the L train Saturday afternoon on my way to Union Square in a shooting jacket with the world "Rifleman" all over it and a second amendment patch.  Hat says "Shoot Boss".  Reflective aviator glasses.  Would have been less conspicuous if I was in a gorilla suit riding a unicycle.

Congratulations to CharlieHotel - NY's newest RED HAT INSTRUCTOR!!!!

And congrats and thanks to SunnyAM for taking the Orange.  Our newest IIT, she is fearless in crisis and almost saved us all.

Pics later.

Thanks to Darren at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range for hosting us at absolutely no commercial gain for either himself or the range.  They lost money as a matter of fact - sold us ammo at less than cost and charged nothing for anything else - but hosted a very important event.  We here in the city and on Long Island have taken to calling this "The Second Amendment Event of the Year".  Got a problem with that?   >:( 

It was an honor to hold an event at the range where Travis Bickle learned to shoot all those years ago.  Some day a real rain IS going to come.

An Appleseed in Manhattan.  Sounds like some sort of coup, don't it?  It was the easiest thing in the world to set up.  The shooters were excited to be there.  We had two shooters that I remember from previous events upstate and one whom I've seen at Calverton, but everybody else was brand new to AS and most were brand new to shooting.  I don't think any of them really knew what to expect.

And neither did we.  VietVet, Josey Wales, Big Matt, CharlieHotel, lakesideoflife, and SunnyAM rounded out an excellent instructor group, but this was brand-new territory for all of us.  Friday we did a classroom thing, from AS history, to Rev War History, to Re-enactors (thanks Norman and Mike!) all the way through NPOA, Six Steps, and getting everybody on the carpet, one at a time, to experience the prone position for the first time in most of their lives.  They looked GOOD!  Everybody left visibly excited and everybody returned the next day, last night, for the shooting portion.

We went in with very broad and general ideas (that's not to say "no idea") about how to run an indoor AS with limited space and time, and I don't think there were any real surprises to the Instructors.  We knew it was gonna be tough, and it was.  It was tough, not easy.  Hard work.  Again I can't say what shooters were expecting, but they got to shoot.  They got to study trigger and breath control; they prepped mags and dropped bolts;  they squeezed sitting positions into tiny little stalls, and they broke paper.  They were instructed on group size, and sight adjustments which we did on some of those stock rugers.  I've had my share of experience with those sights of course, but I'm looking forward to becoming expert at messing with those nasty little buggers in the coming months.  As Josey Wales proudly shamed me when we first got ready to dive in, "I'm not afraid of those things!" 

We even shot an AQT and Chun fired a 207!  He was 1/16" away from a 210, but Big Matt is hardcore and wouldn't budge.  Who said NYPD can't shoot?  Certainly not I, gentlemen.   :)

Speaking of the coming months...  Darren has invited us to come back as often as we like.  "This is the beginning of a life-long friendship," he separately informed both myself and Josey Wales.   Expect a Manhattan AS once a month in perpetuity.  We'll fine tune the program.  We'll get those rifles dialed in faster.  Maybe we'll even get some tech-sites and scopes on that line (donations?), but we're going to do everything we can to keep the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range and RWVA's Appleseed on very good personal friendship terms with the Second Amendment.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Ratchett

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Congratulations Manhattan!!! What a great day for America O0 Job well done shooters and instructors alike.
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

crak

Check your drama at the door.

Roland

Great job guys! Indeed, I would say that's a coup. Washington DC, here we come...
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

kDan

Forgot to say we had 22 folks on Friday night, and a sold out firing line of 16 shooters on Saturday.

I also forgot to thank our shooters for choosing to spend a Friday and Saturday evening with us in the city that never sleeps.

Welcome to the Appleseed family, 20,000 strong and growing every day. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Spartan

What a great turnout!!!!  I bet your subway ride was a hoot!!
"With your shield or on it"

The Log

Huzzah! If this becomes a once a month thing, I'd love to get in on the action. I'll just save my pennies for a night in the city and take the train in from New Haven.

Congratulations on penetrating the final frontier! Twenty-two down, 7 million to go...

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Big Matt

What an experience! The shooters were as wide eyed and enthusiastic as any I have ever been around. Imagine, citizen's, drilling with rifles, in Manhattan! Probably hasn't been done since around the Civil War. This was possibly the most exciting shoot I have attended yet. Congratulations, and a big thank you to SunnyAM, who really stepped up and performed RSO and instruction duties like a pro. Congratulations also to CharlieHotel on moving up to a Red Hat. That was just a matter of time. And thanks to all the shooters and instructors who made this event a tremendous success. I can't wait for the next one.

Odin

Good job to all the instructors and students.  Congrats to CharlieHotel for getting the red hat and SunnyAM for taking the orange.

This I would say is a huge milestone for the program, I don't think many thought it was even possible to have an Appleseed in NYC. 
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

VietVet

Whenever we hear a report of "Shots Fired" in Manhattan, well, it tends to give us an uneasy feeling.

Last night at the West Side Rifle and Pistol Range 16 shooters stepped up to the line and gave these words a whole new meaning.

Appleseed had broken through a barrier and started a whole new chapter for both the RWVA and NY right smack dab in the middle of MANHATTAN!

The first (of many) Appleseed Events in NYC was started.

It was fantastic to say the least.
To be part of this HISTORIC event was an honor.

Honestly word escape me on how to put this Event into proper perspective.

Shooters...thank you for making this a complete success.

Instructors...job well done.

WSRP...Thank you falls very short, but it's the least we can say.

Charlie Hotel and SunnyAM....congrats to you both.

A new Range.
A new Red Hat.
A new IIT.

A NEW ERA!!!! O0
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

jmdavis

Great Job! Dan, VietVet et al.

You have basically succeeded at something many would judge as impossible. That success should give us all hope.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

kDan

One more huge thing I forgot to mention!  No, not just one more...  the biggest thing, the main thing...  the thing that made this what it was...  I'm so used to it I don't even think about it anymore; I just assume that Rich has it taken care of.  Vietvet (Rich) not only brought just pretty much all the Instructors in his car, but also most of the materials, flags, and everything else we needed to run this event (chamber flags, dummy rifle, visual aids, hand-outs, liability forms, t-shirts...).  He promoted and fretted over this event like it was another child.  He and Josey Wales decorated the classroom with flags.  All I did was show up with 1 KD target, a tangle of slings and swivels, and a folder full of down-sized 50 foot AS production targets that r1sgx2 upstate made for us (thanks Stick Mark!)  Vietvet even sent me these photos. 

CharlieHotel looking REEEAAL happy that I'm putting Rich's smelly hat on his head. (o yeah, Rich even donated his hat!)

SunnyAM hasn't realized she's gonna actually have to put CharlieHotel's stinky hat on her head!

Norman and Mike in their own hats.

kDan talks too much

Flannel shirt, blue jeans, rifle, sight picture...  Where are we?

THANKS TO VIETVET FOR THE PHOTOS!!!  SEND ME MORE!!!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

SPQR

Hmm.  sniff sniff  What is that?  Oh.  My goodness.  This must be what it is like when someone as arrogant and egotistical as myself is thoroughly impressed. 

Congratulations.  Very impressive effort.  O0
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

kDan

SPQR,

We have more in common than just arrogance and egos!  You taught SunnyAM's mom and siblings at Carrolton, KY!  You gotta remember the gentle lady and her cubs.  Well, the full grown cub is now an IIT in NYC!  Look at the photo above.  Apple from the tree.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CaptMac

Awesome!!

The Subway was my favorite place to read firearms magazines while I lived in NYC.  Yes, I got looks, but I loved it.

If this is going to happen again, I will be on a train faster than The Log. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

sgtrock

GUYS and GALS

My hat is off to you, on putting on one of the most important shoots to happen that I can think of,,,,  ABSOLUTELY GREAT JOB,,, HUGH ATTA BOY TO ALL OF YOU         >>>>>>IN NEW YORK CITY<<<<<<

SunnyAM, CharlieHotel, my most firm handshake to the both of you, Congratulations on a job (well started) not done,,,,

Everybody involved with this shoot should be very proud, you guys accomplished a monumental task here,

Yes I do think a Rocker is most justified for this shoot,,,

Again Great Job

I will be looking forward to working with you guys again before too long,,,

sgtrock

LittleMo

Congratulations on a successfull event in an unlikely location! ^:)^

Congrats to the shooters, to SunnyAM, and to CharlieHotel! O0

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Dakota

Excellent job O0
Sorry I missed this one, I will be sure to work a future shoot there, sounds like we have a new home.
Thanks for all your hard work in making this happen!
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

Another D.O.M.

This is Great Stuff!  Historic, important stuff - the stuff that books are written about.

Congratulations to all of the Appleseed instructors who helped put this event together and helped teach citizens of our nation's largest city rifle marksmanship skills, and some of the history that makes this country unique.  Congratulations to the students for taking part in the first Appleseed to be held in an area most might consider out of reach for an organization such as ours.  Congratulations to CharlieHotel on your promotion to RHI - see you in Lake George!  Congratulations and thank you to SunnyAM for stepping out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary!

Thank you to each who attended, instructor and shooter alike.

The IAAR should be a learning experience for all, particularly how you worked the AQT strings.  I think we gain significantly more knowledge and practical experience from our 50' indoor shoots than from a fist full of 'standard' Appleseeds.  At least that has been my experience.

Thanks again folks!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Oh Three

I attended this event this past weekend with my wife and daughter. It was informative and fun. The instructors were all top notch; friendly, helpful and professional. We enjoyed the blend of history and instruction that was provided. I thoroughly enjoyed the history portion of the event and learning about the things that aren't taught in our schools. The two gentlemen dressed in Revolutionary War uniforms added to the event and just made it come alive for us. Josey Wales shouting out battle cries and giving out inspiring stories while on the firing line just added even more flavor. It was more like "being there" instead of learning about it.

The Westside Pistol Range was a gracious host and both my wife and I plan on joining as soon as we receive our pistol permits. I couldn't think of a better place to spend a couple of evenings a week.  The range itself is filled with history and the staff bends over backwards to ensure you have a great time.  O0

My only issue would be the realization that my marksmanship skills have seriously deteriorated in the past 25 years. It gives new meaning to the expression "use it or lose it". However, under the tutelage of the fantastic RWVA Instructors I was improving by the end of the evening.  Anyone who can teach an old Marine anything deserves all the credit in the world. After all, God has never created a creature more stubborn, dense and obstinate than an old Marine.  :bow:

Once again I want to thank everyone for putting on this event. KDan, Viet Vet, CharlieHotel (Semper Fi Devil Dog), Josey Wales, Big Matt, lakesideoflife, SunnyAM and the Westside Pistol Range. Job well done!   ^:)^

My girls are already talking about attending another event and about the rifles and equipment they will need.  :)

James, Avia and Abby.

Difficulties are things that show a person what they are - Epictetus

kDan

It's hard to remember everything when you first sit down to write one of these AARs, and going back I can always find things I forgot.  Just see above where I didn't even mention Vietvet in my first post...  the guy who brought a truckful of everything we needed, including Instructors!  One of the jobs of Shoot Boss is to get this up and started, to set the tone and then make room for everybody else to post their thoughts and suggestions.

Well it is definitely necessary to give more mention to lakesideoflife.  This was her first event working as an IIT and she came prepared to work.  She was studying up to the minute we started to run things; she expected and was prepared to call the line after Big Matt got things started.  Well it seemed like we only just barely got started when it was time to call it a night.  In the rush and hustle of working things out, we left Big Matt (and his big voice) to run the line for the 4 hours we were shooting.  Lakesideoflife settled into a routine on the line where she was assigned and I was told by the shooter who benefitted the most from her instruction that the special attention was appreciated.  A shooters first impression of Appleseed always comes from their Instruction.  Did they get any?  Were they ignored or overlooked?  It would be easy to lose somebody if they feel like nobody stopped by and helped them with their position, trigger, malfunctions, whatever.  I saw ladesideoflife instructing, and her contact and communication with me before and since the event is appreciated.  I'm sure she'll be a real asset to an already outstanding group of people.  She's serious and intelligent and it's nice to know she's going to be moving up the ladder.  I'm expecting her promotions paperwork to come over the fax any second!  Who knows, but maybe next year's Calverton LadySeed will have a Calverton Lady Shoot Boss.  That would be something.

It's been a long road getting female Instructors down here on Long Island and now Manhattan (basically the same crew), and the NY state family are very happy and pleased to have the few we have.  Lakesideoflife, thanks for stepping up, and thanks for doing what you were asked to do, what was needed, and doing it with the quiet professionalism of the colonials at the North Bridge.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

lakesideoflife

Thanks kdan, and thank you to my fellow instructors who made me feel like part of the team from the get-go.

Proud to have been part of the historic NYC debut of Appleseed!
Pat aka 'Lakeside'

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffusd and Virtue is preservd." ~Samuel Adams

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism." ~Alexander Hamilton

"The history of a free people is a history of hard choices." ~David Hackett Fischer

The Mrs.

Well done, well done.

To the Instructor crew, a heart feld congratulations.  To the Shooters, I am proud of you all.  While the score is nice, the important thing is that you are there on the line...learning how to shoot better, and about the debt we owe our forefathers and the responsibility we owe our progeny.

A big thank you to Westside Rifle and Pistol Range.  Thank you for the opportunity.

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Cooper

@lakesideoflife:
thank you for paying it forward   O0

@the entire shoot crew:
Incredible, simply incredible!  A turning point in our Nation's history!   :bow:

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Rattlehead

Awesome stuff - Dan your ability to think outside the box is truly commendable.

Congrats to CharlieHotel  O0

Quote from: kDan on July 17, 2011, 03:36:21 PM
Would have been less conspicuous if I was in a gorilla suit riding a unicycle.

I don't think this statement can stand until you support it empirically...

CaptMac

Quote from: Rattlehead on July 18, 2011, 05:22:10 PM

Quote from: kDan on July 17, 2011, 03:36:21 PM

I do not think I can offer empirical evidence, but Dan's statement is right. 

NYC is full of people doing things for attention.  Because of this, New Yorkers get used to it and stop paying attention, sometimes completely.  It is often when they see something completely different that doesn't seek attention that they look. 

So the gorilla suit and unicycle, as obvious ploys for attention, might be ignored.  The swarthy-looking, beared guy with all the gun stuff on him, that's someone to watch. 

If Dan had gone clean-shaven, with a buzz cut, and tried to lead the subway car riders in calesthenics like a drill instructor, then he would have been ignored. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

kDan

Quote from: Rattlehead on July 18, 2011, 05:22:10 PM

I used to know this guy; his name was Don, and he drove a truck for an art company.  Some days he would wear a gorilla suit.  He'd be at Sotheby's picking up millions of dollars worth of art in a gorilla suit.  No gorilla mask, no gorilla hand gloves and he'd be wearing regular sneakers, but he's wearing the furry gorilla body suit, maybe unzipped and you could see his t-shirt underneath.  Nobody paid any attention to him.  Just sign the paperwork and go, Magilla.

And then he would drive away in a Freight-Liner straight job reefer, in a gorilla suit like it was just Wednesday or something.  He actually kept the mask on the seat next to him and would put it on sometimes in traffic if he felt like it.  Imagine being cut off in traffic by a twelve ton 40 foot truck being driven by a guy in a gorilla suit waving his fist at you out the open window.

Not really Appleseed related I guess but kinda, cuz I guess Rifle Instructors in Manhattan are weirder than a guy in a gorilla suit.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

gratefuldog

As the folks on the Calguns forum would say:    THIS.  IS.  EPIC.  !!!

SPQR

How could I forget?  We had near freezing temperatures, blowing wind and sideways rain all weekend.  I was sincerely surprised when they returned on Sunday.  I was then honored to share the line as a shooter with mamma bear when she treated herself to a Mother's Day one day at Cloverdale.  She probably got better instruction the second time around.  :slap:

Quote from: kDan on July 18, 2011, 12:02:43 AM

SPQR,

We have more in common than just arrogance and egos!  You taught SunnyAM's mom and siblings at Carrolton, KY!  You gotta remember the gentle lady and her cubs.  Well, the full grown cub is now an IIT in NYC!  Look at the photo above.  Apple from the tree.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter