News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Manhattan July 15-16

Started by kDan, July 17, 2011, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revman

kDan I know the feeling well.I take cabs in 18thc attire with musket.Way too mant iphone photos of me .
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country

kDan

Quote from: Revman on July 19, 2011, 11:51:53 AM
kDan I know the feeling well.I take cabs in 18thc attire with musket.Way too mant iphone photos of me .

Is that you, Norman?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

lakesideoflife

Quote from: Cooper on July 18, 2011, 04:40:38 PM
@lakesideoflife:
thank you for paying it forward   O0

Coop

@Cooper

I learn from the best, my dear Coop! Hope to see you again soon. :)
Pat aka 'Lakeside'

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffusd and Virtue is preservd." ~Samuel Adams

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism." ~Alexander Hamilton

"The history of a free people is a history of hard choices." ~David Hackett Fischer

Cooper

Quote from: lakesideoflife on July 19, 2011, 08:07:43 PM
@Cooper
I learn from the best, my dear Coop! Hope to see you again soon. :)

Tip of the tricorn to ye, Ma'am!  ;)
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

kDan

Vietvet just sent me some more pics, so here goes! 

Some of our shooters didn't wish to have their photos posted and I'm not exactly sure which so I'm not posting any group shots.  We spent Friday in the classroom and then Saturday in the range room and just outside at a table where we had discussions, prepped mags and ate dinner.

Last minute prep

Matt and Lakeside layin down the law

Josey Wales giving the First Strike.

This is what it looks like to be an instructor on the line. 

WFMU DJ Bronwyn takes on the red coats.  Believe it or not, this is our "table-top prone" position.  She will put that trigger elbow down when she's done manipulating the rifle.

Big Matt watching a very shallow line.

Lakesideoflife, Josey Wales, and CharlieHotel

I think this one's okay.  Our prep table.

Have you ever seen a more beautiful range?

sitting was a little cramped

especially for marines

we'll discuss the difficulties of instructing in the IAAR

another WFMU listener!

Josey Wales helping a shooter

Norman x 2

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

AviaMR

James, Abby and I had so much fun at this event, it was great. All of the instructors were wonderful! I not only enjoyed the marksmanship portion of the program, I loved learning more about the events of April 19, 1775.

I wore my Appleseed t-shirt when I brought my dog to Central Park yesterday, and a couple of people asked to read it. One woman said "that's a hoot" thinking it was some sort of a gag. I went on to explain about the Appleseed Project to the group, two of whom stared at me like I had three heads and couldn't believe that we were shooting in Manhattan, and two of whom thought it was great and were pleasantly surprised to hear that we were able to involve our daughter. The one woman was a little outraged instead. Oh well, you can't win them all!

Thank you for holding this event here in Manhattan! The whole family is looking forward to attending another Appleseed somewhere where we can actually shoot from the prone position!

Avia

lakesideoflife

Avia and James - how exciting to see you both posting here! It was wonderful to meet you and your daughter Abby and thank you for sharing the Appleseed message and mission with others.  ..:..

We certainly look forward to seeing all of you back at another event...maybe Calverton at the end of July?
@)

Lakeside
Pat aka 'Lakeside'

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffusd and Virtue is preservd." ~Samuel Adams

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism." ~Alexander Hamilton

"The history of a free people is a history of hard choices." ~David Hackett Fischer

kDan

:Pditto what Lakeside said...

James, Avia and Abby,

You guys are the ones we set this up for, and if you come out to Calverton great, but don't worry, another Appleseed is just a subway ride away for all of you.  Trust me.  The next one will be slicker, more comfortable, more informative , more fun and... well just plain better. Maybe Abby can convince some of her teen-age friends to come out; after all they are the future.  Or maybe you can get some of those Central Park soccer moms to choose something "new and exciting" for the family.  Moms make most of the planning decisions for the week-end, honey do lists and what not.   

"Honey, can we be the first family in our building to shoot Rifleman!"  Look out for a write up in Time Out New York.  Family's like your's are just the thing!

-d-

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

The Log

Did anybody state the obvious - that this was a "Big Apple-seed"?  :slap:

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

R1SGx2

PROUD,

Nice work all....

Thank you to all for your service,

Shooters, your journey has just begun.....
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

vernic82

Intresting to see how you made this work at a Bullseye Pistol Range kdan.......

I've always discounted these types of ranges (although I come from a Bullseye background!?) as "non-workable" for Appleseed due to the walls between shooting ports.

There are several Bullseye Pistol indoor ranges here in CT I could target for future or at least Wintertime Appleseeds!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

kDan

Here we go again! 

We have an event on the schedule for the nights of Friday August 12 and Saturday Augutst 13 at the same bat time, same bat channel, but with a different plan of batstruction.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24179.0

We have figured out how to make this event better.  Less talk, more rifle time.  WSRP has several rifles with the firing pins removed, so we will be using them to dry-fire as much as we can on Friday night.

Dry-firing is key.  Anybody ever heard of the guy who won an Olympic gold medal after all he was able to do was dry fire everyday for two years?  Sounds like he lived in Manhattan right?

Come out.  Get the word out!  Tell your friends.  Heck, bring your friends!  Bring your kids.  Bring your friend's kids!

See you in Manhattan in two weeks.  Flat-iron district; be there or be someplace not as important...

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Johnnyappleseed

The founders are smiling  ;D

Great job New York O0

Semper fidelis !!!

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

mjwas

I just was browsing the AAR's and ran across this.  I've worked in Manhattan a bit and just clicked on it figuring it was another Manhattan (I live near manhattan IL and have to specify NYC when talking about manhattan).
I was shocked to see an Apple seed in NYC.
Great Job.
I also dropped a quick email to Westside Rifle and Pistol Range thanking them.
While all our ranges deserve a big thank you, this one just seemed extra special.
When I was working in NYC I could have gotten co workers into shooting if there had been some where close and easy to go.
I will try to spread the word to some of those still in the city about this.

Now we just need a range in Chicago to open  and then host an Appleseed.

Thanks for all the hard work, these things don't just happen.

Matt Wehland