News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Libertyseed opportunity

Started by azmule, July 14, 2011, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

There's an event coming up in your state that is looking for speakers to present an interesting topic - hmmm, got anything that fits that description?  Details at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23751.0
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Another D.O.M.

This is great stuff!  Thank you azmule for bringing this to our attention!

This is another outstanding opportunity to get the Appleseed message out to the masses, and we should make every effort to secure an appointment to speak at the meeting scheduled for Sept. 2-5.

Who wants in on this?  So far there are no NY events scheduled for this time frame.  Ideally there should be one speaker for each Strike, to give the audience a different effect.  D.O.M. can be melded w/ the Third Strike to keep it moving along.

And don't forget our neighbors in PA.  I'm sure Chainsaw would be happy for offers from our nearby instructors to help present at the Pittsburgh event as well.

Let's make this happen folks.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Josey Wales

..I would be interested in speaking at this event..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Nickle

I might as well. I checked their website, and oddly enough, this old hick woodchuck qualifies for MENSA membership. Now, that's scary.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Nickle on July 15, 2011, 10:11:03 AMI might as well. I checked their website, and oddly enough, this old hick woodchuck qualifies for MENSA membership. Now, that's scary.
Maybe not so much.  They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about...

Thanks JW & Nickle for jumping right into this!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nickle

Actually, I'm now in the process of joining. I have acceptable proof of pre-existing qualification for membership. I just need to get a notarized copy of it, and join. Isn't cheap, the qualification is up there (only 1 in 50 people qualify), but it is something to consider doing.

Albany, NY 2-5 Sep is the local event.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Spartan

WOW Nickle!!!  Congrats!!!  I never knew but should have realized:))
"With your shield or on it"

Nickle

Membership only requires a pre-1980 GT score of 136, or AFQT score of 98. I'm well enough over that (144 GT). Truth be known, had I scored just one point higher, I could've joined another organization.

And, yeah, that was a major eye opener for me. I knew I was smart, didn't know I was THAT smart.

Another D.O.M.

Sorry folks - I had forgotten the link leads to an IAAR, which is 'eyes-only'.

Here's the post:
Quote from: azmule on July 03, 2011, 09:48:41 PM
Date:  July 3, 2011

City, State:  Tucson, AZ

Venue Name:  Tucson Mensa meeting (at Murphy-Wilmot Library)

Number of Attendees:  15 for the full presentation, 1 busy librarian and a few other library patrons looked in briefly, 1 (possibly homeless) woman came in to fill a plate with the snacks we were serving, grabbed a soda and left, even though invited to stay.

Volunteers involved:  azmule

Pre-Event promotions:  Tucson Mensa newsletter calendar item & separate "teaser" - signs posted in library - two separate email reminders to membership, as follows:
---
What: Independence Day Special Presentation by Scott Benjamin.
When: Sunday July 3, 2 PM
Where: Murphy-Wilmot Library Meeting Room, 550 N Wilmot Rd near 5th Street on the east side of Wilmot.

The Forgotten Stories of Battle Road

Exactly what did happen on April 19, 1775? Did Paul Revere really warn the British? What American hero earned the name "Death on a Pale Horse" and why? What is the real significance of the North Bridge? How did one frail old woman come to take six of the Kings Grenadiers prisoner?  Come hear Scott Benjamin present a few things about the opening day of the American War for Independence that you probably didn't learn in school.
---

Promotional material handed out at event:  Arizona Appleseed event schedules, Trifolds

Props used:  PowerPoint presentation found at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2077

Booth cost:  $0

This particular plan may not have been necessary, but I've heard that a couple of libraries in town have in the past had problems with some local "patriot" groups (for which some closed-minded city bureaucrat might too easily mistake us) and have established "unwritten rules" about certain types of organizations, which is why I wanted to start-off Libraryseeds here by slipping one in with a group they already know, to give the librarians a chance to see the presentation in person before they can form any mistaken opinion.  However...

Good:  Mensa should definitely be added to everyone's list of potential speaking opportunities, they seem receptive to the topic and are otherwise quite eager for any speakers who are A) not charging a fee, B) not a politician, and C) not trying to sell some other bill-o-goods.  Not only a presentation to a local group, which is what I did, but there are regional and national conventions that consist primarily of a wide range of scheduled presentations by various speakers and experts - I was told that many members had expressed regret that they could not attend my presentation because they were at the national convention, which is held in a different city every July 4th weekend, hosting thousands of members.  Likewise the regional ones are held annually in nearly every state and can draw hundreds of participants.  This is definitely something we need to get in on.  I'm going to report back with contacts for these events and other information when I get it.

Oh, yeah - I was presented with a framed certificate of  appreciation at the conclusion.

Bad:  Though this was a spur-of-the moment thing I did on my own, I should team up with somebody for future events to break up the presentation a little.  I still need to work on smoothing up my presentation style - but at least the more I do this the better it gets.  I don't know if this counts as bad, but I ran pretty long - a little over two hours - but for very good reasons...  lots of intelligent questions and sidebar discussions delving into much more detail in spots than I usually present, the audience was quite interested in the topic.

A few took fliers and shoot schedules, but only one expressed an open interest in attending an Appleseed.

Then librarians seemed quite busy, and didn't get to see much.  I didn't get the opportunity to speak with them afterward either.

Revman

either missing or off limits to you.???
I will help with the 18th Cent impression
location NYC but will travel to get the word out

Norman "Revman"
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country