News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

25m Stage 4- "Advanced AQT"

Started by boltgun71, June 27, 2011, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltgun71

In response to the recent question of firing the "Advanced AQT" COF at 25m on Stage 4 of the QDAQT instead of at 100yds on the larger Stage 1 Target, I conducted an experiment recently.  I tried the 10 shots per target on Stage 4 as a new AQT Course of Fire like was recently done at a NY shoot, please see attachment for the results.  From left to right, I fired 10 shots offhand, 10 shots sitting, and then 10 shots prone.  After firing the first prone group I decided it was a waste to do it a second time on the final one.  I fired this in the presence of two Red Hats that were visiting from NC as well.

I think the picture illustrates why you cant fire 10 rounds into such a small scaled down target and score it properly.

In offhand you can score all 10 of my shots.

In sitting you can only distinctivly count 7 of the 10 shots.

In prone you can only distictivly count 5 of the 10 rounds.

Also in the sitting and prone positions you can't tell which of the low shots may or may not have cut the line for the 5 ring.  You certainly can't tell if they are close or not with the 30 cal rule, as the ragged hole removes too much of the target.  Also I could of quit firing the prone and sitting positions after only 5-7 rounds and you would have never known the difference, as the hole in the target didnt get any bigger.  Scoring this COF would be alot of "guess-timation".  We dont want to award Rifleman patches on guess work.

With the small scaled down targets the rounds have to be spread out over several bulls, such as the way we currently do it to properly score it.  Ten rounds for score on such a small target is good practice but very poor for scoring and awarding some one for their marksmanship acheivment.

The Rifleman cut-off of 160 for the "Advanced AQT" is also not appropriatte for shooting at 25m since the scoring can involve to much guess work and the environmental effects of gravity and wind is minimal at 25m as opposed to 100yds, which the 160 score I believe took into account as it added to the difficulty, particuarly with rimfires at 100yds.

Another D.O.M.

Thank you John - good work here, and an excellent visual example of what you're describing.  My guess is that when Nickle talks with Fred about this, Fred's response will be similar.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"