News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Afton, OK June 25-26, 2011

Started by henschman, June 27, 2011, 12:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

Another successful event at this great range.  Many thanks to Mike Nelson, the range owner, for inviting us back again.

There was a relatively light turnout for this event, I suspect partly because it coincided with the annual Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot and Trade Show, which is just up the road from Afton in Wyandotte.

This event was dalesp's final test as SBIT.  He acted as Shoot Boss for this event, and ran the entire thing.  He did an admirable job dealing with all of the wonderful and exciting things a Shoot Boss must deal with in planning and running an event.  Consequently, at the end of the day Sunday, I gave him a green hat and promoted him to Shoot Boss.  Dale will soon have his own range near Alex, OK, and will now be able to run his own events there.  He will also be taking a big burden off my shoulders and helping to move the program forward in Oklahoma.  Great job Dale, and thanks for stepping up.

We had 7 shooters on Saturday, and 4 shooters on Sunday.  Garrett (TUHurricane) shot Expert on Sunday with a score of 210.  When confronted with the dilemma of a dunking or an orange hat, he took the orange hat and joined the ranks of IITs. 

The weather on Saturday was sunny in the low 90s and windy.  On Sunday, it was partly cloudy, low 90s, and occasionally breezy.  Everyone stayed hydrated.  The range is at Excalibur Sporting Goods, which has some great facilities.  History and lunch breaks were taken in Excalibur's air conditioned classroom.

All shooters made progress -- two were close to qualifying as Riflemen (Raby the younger and Raby the elder).  A 100 meter AQT was conducted on Sunday afternoon after the instructon on full distance shooting.  All 3 shooters who participated got valuable feedback on the trajectory of their .22 rifles at 25, 50, 75, and 100m, and how to deal with wind. 

I hope to see all participants on the firing line again soon! 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

gpbbiker

Yippee!! ^:)^
Way to go Dalesp!!
It's good to see you Oklyhomers bringing new ranges into the fold! Low numbers could also be explained by the 100's; 100 degress, 100% humidity and 100 mph wind.
It was a rough enough weekend up north!! :o
And for the rest of you appleseeders reading this, no, we don't make this stuff up! :D
Congrats again Dale! ^:)^
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

TomCat

Congratulations Dale on making Shoot Boss! Thanks for bringing a number of us along.
It was good to see a variety of shooters on the line Saturday, we did good even with the competition from the auto-shoot. 
Congratulations Garrett on joining the ranks of Riflemen! Glad to see you persist and persevere.  And you Raby's stayed right in there through the heat and challenges, very proud of you!  Now let's see you make use of those skills you've learned and show us how it's done.
A special thanks to Scarecrow for taking me under his wing and guiding me through my first shoot as an Orange Hat. Glad to have you back there to lean on as a mentor.  I'm doing the required reading, and want to be the best I can, and glad to have each of you instructors to watch and learn from; you're a very special crew.
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."