News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed friendly activites at Chabot Gun Club (w/target downloads)

Started by Nero, June 21, 2011, 12:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

[This post here because a) Chabot is in CenCal and b) I want a single topic where the info can be modified as necessary, and linked from each AAR.]

Chabot Gun Club is our regular Appleseed range in Castro Valley, CA.  In addition to the regular AS shoots - 3rd weekend of even numbered months in 2012 - there are a couple of other opportunities there to get live practice on your AQT, positions and sling use, even coaching. 

THE PUBLIC LINES

Are open Friday through Monday.  Very busy on the weekends, come early.  20, 50 and 100 yard rifle lines available.  Cost $14/day, $7 for members.

I'll start with the caveat.  AQT and other silhouette targets are not allowed on the public lines.  (A long story involving a video cam and some anti-gunners, as I understand.)  The way around it to create a purely geometric target that gives an AQT-like sight picture, and use an overlay of the authentic silhouette for scoring.  There are sets of such targets scaled for 20 and 50 yards available as attachments further down this thread.  (For those who care, Chabot is OLL-friendly.  There's a two round limit on SKSes.)

Positions:  While 95+% of the public line shooters only use the bench, position shooting on the lines is both OK and encouraged.  So bring your mats and slings and have at it.  You can shift the bench sideways to make more room, or move it entirely back of the line.  The RSO will even help you do it.  (Please remember to move them back.)

Rapid fire:  No more than one shot per second.  Since you're not breathing that fast, firing cadence should be no problem.

Transitions:  Also OK, but try it 'dry' several times to make sure you're going to be able to miss the benches and keep good muzzle control on the way down.  You might warn the neighboring shooters and even the RSO what you're going to be doing, so they aren't startled.  Alternately - do your transition move several times at home, having someone time you, subtract the average amount of time from the stage limit.  At the range, start in position and unloaded, and run a timer for the reduced stage time.  (If you're timing yourself, get one of those LOUD kitchen timers - the beeps from phone timer apps can't be heard over the gunfire.)

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Here are the geometric targets and scoring overlays, scaled for the 20 yard range at the public lines.

Some explanation:  Print the 'shoot' version onto 8.5 x 11 card stock or paper.  The two black triangles represent the 4 and 5 scoring areas; the dot is the top of 3 zone and the base line is its bottom.  Both 6 o'clock and center of target holds should be consistent with the standard AQT.

To score, print the corresponding 'score' version onto an 8.5 x 11 transparency sheet.  Align the baseline of the scoring overlay with the shot triangular target and hold it up to the light.

Notes:  If your printer offers a 'scale to fit' or similar option turn it OFF, otherwise it will alter the target scaling incorrectly.  Also note that while the targets themselves are scaled correctly, the horizontal intervals are NOT, so don't let those NPOA shifts get too automatic.  When posting these at Chabot, keep them within the boundary of the original paper target on the cardboard backer you were given at sign-in, or you'll get yelled at - TPTB get tired of replacing shot-up supporting boards.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License by Tim Oren.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Same deal as just above, but this time for 50 yards.  Read the notes above about printing and scaling.

Caveats:

There's no stage 1, it won't fit on a 8.5 x 11 sheet when scaled properly.  I use a 50 yard smallbore bulls-eye target (NRA A-23) and some imagination, and score it with a ruler at home.

Some assembly required:  And you can't fit the proper number of targets onto an 8.5 x 11 either, so you'll have to print multiple copies and tack them onto the target backer at the range.  Again note that TPTB at Chabot want all targets kept within the outline of the original paper on the target they hand you when signing in.  They get tired of replacing shot-up support boards.  That means you'll probably have to do your full 50 yd AQT in three firing period - one for stage 1, one for stage 2, one for stage 3 & 4.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License by Tim Oren.

Nero

This is a set of scaled geometric AQT substitutes plus scoring overlays for use at the 50 foot range used on the Light Rifle range (#5) mentioned above.  See the notes above re print and scaling.

(I'll typically have some of these printed out and ready to go for each session, but if you want to be sure, print some and bring them.)

Xeyed

Nero,

Like the Triangular Targets. Could you re-size those for 25 meters?

Would be a nice change of pace from shooting squares and circles.

The four and the five ring are all I m looking for. The three ring  would be nice, but not necessary. I can estimate the three's

Thanks.

X

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Nero

Here you go - triangle targets + silhouette scoring overlays for 25m.  For these and the 50yd I'm adding a central white dot to represent the 'V' and as a aiming point for those doing center of target holds.  Feel free to spread these around and repost the files elsewhere as useful.

See the notes above re how to shoot and score these, and regarding printing and scaling.  Also note once again that the inter-target gaps differ from the standard QDAQT, so don't get those NPOA shifts burned too far into your hindbrain...

Quote from: Xeyed on June 28, 2011, 02:34:34 AM
Nero,

Like the Triangular Targets. Could you re-size those for 25 meters?

Would be a nice change of pace from shooting squares and circles.

The four and the five ring are all I m looking for. The three ring  would be nice, but not necessary. I can estimate the three's

Thanks.

X

Xeyed

Nero,

Thanks those look great.

Here are some acetates for easier scoring print out on Overhead transparencies.

You know those things they used before over head projectors.

x
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

teamnoir

It would be particularly convenient if there were an index of these things on the board somewhere.

I remember seeing some 4 stage circles on 8.5x11 earlier, too, but don't remember where I saw them now.

Andtrano

Nero - Thanks for the great post and the good heads up on no silluhoute targets, and I love the geometry and overhead transparency idea, brilliant.  I just completed an Appleseed weekend and qualified, and am interested in the intermediate training you mention.  Is this still available each month?  I will PM ahead of time like you recommend.  I will check the Chabot website as well since this thread is older.  Thanks for the targets and the great info,

Nero

Quote from: Andtrano on March 07, 2014, 01:12:40 PM
Nero - Thanks for the great post and the good heads up on no silluhoute targets, and I love the geometry and overhead transparency idea, brilliant.  I just completed an Appleseed weekend and qualified, and am interested in the intermediate training you mention.  Is this still available each month?  I will PM ahead of time like you recommend.  I will check the Chabot website as well since this thread is older.  Thanks for the targets and the great info,

We are still doing the intermediate light rifle on 2nd and 4th Saturday AMs, but only for another month or so:  my wife and I will be leaving California in the next few months.

Nero

May 10th will be our last Light Rifle class at Chabot.  I'm sure the local shoot boss (Ken) will post when / if an instructor steps forward for the intermediate & advanced LR class again.

The Tick