News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Castro Valley, CA -- June 18-19, 2011

Started by Nero, June 20, 2011, 05:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

I'll get this started while Bob 210 and V return to base in SoCal:

Our Castro Valley venue atypically gave us awesome 'seeding weather for the Father's Day weekend.  We had high seventies on Saturday and low '80s on Sunday, under beautiful sunny skies.  While nothing to compare to the wx reported for other shoot locations, much sun screen and water were used and consumed, respectively.

We had 34 Bay Area patriots turn out on Saturday to learn some marksmanship and American heritage, and 28 got off the couch on Sunday for some serious AQT grinding.  Appropriately for the weekend, we had three sets of father plus sons/daughters on the line Saturday and two returned on Sunday. 

Congratulations to our two newest California Riflemen, Steve B and Mike, who each scored 212 on Sunday.  Two gentlemen who know very well what they are about!   O0

Special thanks to returning Appleseeders Steve, Damien, Ben and Andy.  With three instructors to cover a shoot of this size, we were stretched a bit thin, and asked them to assist us in clearing the line to speed things up.  Of course they stepped right up and did a great job.  Thanks again for making your prep periods even more hectic by helping out!   O0  You know, you'd look really good in one of these orange hats we've got.   :D

Thanks also to our Blue Hat Pat (my wife) who not only ran admin, but got her baptism of fire as Line Boss, letting us put all three instructors on the line with the shooters. 

Pictures to follow below, somewhat fewer than usual.  If you took some and are wiling to share, please post them up.  (If I took for you, put 'em up - it's payback time!  **) )

For those interested in the Appleseed-friendly activities at the Chabot range, read down the thread for a description and links for target files.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

bob 210

Another nearly sold out event at one of my favorite ranges - Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley, CA! It's always a pleasure to come up to this range and spread the Heritage to fellow Americans! Congratulations to our two new Riflemen, Mike and Steve! Huzzah! I'll post more later, but please post your comments here and feel free to post any pictures you have of the event!
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Nero

I didn't get as many as usual, due to running around like a chicken with no head being short-handed, so post 'em if you've got 'em.

Saturday's shooters - panorama part one

Saturday's shooters - panorama part two

Bob 210 demonstrating misfires giving us a realistic look at a period musket  **)

Close attention to our Heritage

Andy + John Garand's finest.  Always good to see the M1s and M1As on the line.

Rifleman Steve - HUZZAH!

Rifleman Mike - HUZZAH!

A Luther Blanchard patch for Tin, who persevered for the whole weekend (sorry about the poor contrast)

Benediction from our fearless leader, Bob 210

Lessons to be carried on

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Downloaded Pat's camera, with some nice shots of the Saturday line:

Complete album at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/timoren/ChabotShoot611

teamnoir

Grats to the new riflemen!

It was a good event, imo.  My first, which had plenty of personal challenges, but I'll be back.  (I scheduled my second before the first happened, so I'm even paying full price for it rather than coming back for free.)

I certainly will be recommending it to other people.  And will be bringing other folks with me next time.

semitch

Thanks again guys for putting on another great event.  My wife and I had a fun time. I'll be back again in the future for another go at making Riflemen with my bolt action .22lr. 

Happy Shooting

Steve M
O0

Nero

As promised at the end of Sunday's shoot and in the original post, I've put together some information about Appleseed friendly activities at Chabot, including downloads of scaled targets you can use on the public lines.  I've put it over in the Central California board as a reference, and you can find it by following this link:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome to the forum semitch.
Nice shoot California , good pic's  O0
Congratulations to Chabot's latest Rifleman ^5
See you all on the trail
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

afrancke

Thanks to everyone for putting together another great event. My first Appleseed was at Chabot in April and I wanted to get right back in the saddle and get my Rifleman patch - sadly I was not among the victorious, but I will be back. My sister showed up and had a great time, too. Sadly my father was not down for an all day experience and besides, it was his anniversary, but maybe next time.

I want to call out the folks running the shoot for improving the audibility of the instruction; between the dual bullhorns on the line and relocation to the corner of the range for come to center moments, it was much easier to hear this time than in April - great job.

One thing I did manage to pull off after the last event was getting all my paperwork together, notarized and sent in to the CMP in time to take delivery of an M1 and some ammunition for this Sunday's event. I highly recommend that everyone who attends an Appleseed join the RWVA and take advantage of this deal - it has got to be one of the bigger grin inducing moments in life to sign for a Garand sent FedEx Priority Overnight (no waiting around until 5 p.m.!) to one's front door. Thanks for the patience after I dragged it out to the line and wrestled with the sling to get my last bits of shooting done for the day.

BoxesOfLiberty

This was a great event -- my first Appleseed, but not my last (just signed up for August 20 at Chabot).

Thanks Nero and thanks to Pat, Bob, V, and everyone else who helped make the event possible.

Rest assured, you are having an impact.
"... the liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; without these no class of people could live and flourish ..."
-- Frederick Douglas

Patriotic & Pro-2a T-shirts: teeliberty.etsy.com (message me about custom apparel needs)

American Amazon

I just joined the forums recently, and wanted my first post to be on an AAR for my home range, Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley, CA!

This was a great shoot for me.  It was the 4th I've attended as a "supporter/volunteer" (in a powder blue hat, but Bob210 brought me an official AppleCore Blue Hat at this shoot).  I've usually done the morning admin tasks - sign in, collecting range fees, and so on.  And since we're often short of instructors at Chabot, I usually watch the line when shooters and instructors are downrange, or during lunch.

But today was the first time I cleared a line - since I'm not familiar with many types of rifles yet, my husband "Nero" showed me how the safeties worked on my section of the line.

It was the first time I called a line, which I did for all of Sunday afternoon, using our new double-bullhorn system.  (It's a really scary sense of power you get, when you're holding TWO bullhorns!)  ~~:)

It was the first time I got to read a quote, which is the Abigail Adams one that gave me my forum name.  (It led to me being invited by Marpat Pippi to tell actual stories at the Santa Barbara, CA July 2-3 shoot!)

We'd previously met Bob210 and V, so it was good to see them again!

Looking forward to our next shoot,
American Amazon
"We are no ways dispirited here, we possess a spirit that will not be conquered. If our men are all drawn off and we should be attacked, you would find a race of Amazons in America." -Abigail Adams (letter to husband John dated 9/20/1776)