News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A LibertySeed in a college speech class? No Way!

Started by Blue Five, June 14, 2011, 11:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Five

Way!!

This summer I am taking several general education classes to work ahead of next semester.  One of these is a Speech class whose text book has been very anti-American, especially in regards to First Amendment ideals.

I have an informative speech assignment coming up in two weeks and have decided that I shall be doing mine on the events of April 19, 1775!  All three strikes rolled into a single speech, in a college classroom!  Sounds crazy, right?

I have not gotten the details yet about requirements, so I am hoping that this topic will stand under the teacher's criteria that will be out next Monday...and her studious gaze.

I shall keep everyone updated as this assignment progresses   :) :)

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

George63

I did this in the spring, 3 strikes in 5 minutes, went well

4bfox

Sounds like a plan!  O0 I have come to REALLY dislike PC textbooks...there seem to be a lot of them... :wb:
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Blue Five

Quote from: George63 on June 15, 2011, 12:10:49 AM
I did this in the spring, 3 strikes in 5 minutes, went well

Looks like I have to do mine in 5-7 minutes, as that is the requirement.  I was kind of hoping for ten minutes so I could go into greater detail  :wb:

Quote from: 4bfox on June 15, 2011, 12:57:13 AM
Sounds like a plan!  O0 I have come to REALLY dislike PC textbooks...there seem to be a lot of them... :wb:

If you've been following my statuses on Facebook in regards to the class, you know exactly how I feel....  >:( >:(
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

4bfox

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Nickle

5-7 minutes is great. A few tips from someone that has been doing this kind of thing for more than a few years.

Practice, practice, practice. Run through your speech, in front of a friend, and better yet, record it too.

Have a clock going, where you can see it while you talk, so you don't go under or over the time.

Keep the details simple, and just pick out the key points. Yes, that shortens it some, but, that is the whole point, right? Use last names as much as possible, instead of Captain John Parker, just use Captain Parker.

If you stumble on a name, don't back pedal, just keep going.

Watch for "umms" and "uhhs". They kill time, and aren't professional. To avoid this, record yourself, keep the facts simple and tell the story in your own words.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Blue Five

Great advice!  Thanks, Nickle  O0 I am open to any advice, tips, and criticisms ( :o ) to do this the right way.

Quote from: Nickle on June 15, 2011, 03:55:22 PM
Watch for "umms" and "uhhs". They kill time, and aren't professional. To avoid this, record yourself, keep the facts simple and tell the story in your own words.

That's the biggest thing when I present things.  I managed to get through my Source Summary Speech without too many...goal is none with this next speech.

George63

Blue Five

I was just looking over the requirments for this assignment...and four sources must be used, no websites allowed, and there must be two different types in there.

I'm going to have to search for some magazine article that confirms what Dr. Fischer wrote in PR's Ride, as that was going to be my main source.

Quote from: George63 on June 15, 2011, 06:34:09 PM
I have the DVD of that speech if you want it

Hey, that'd be awesome!

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Nickle on June 15, 2011, 03:55:22 PM
5-7 minutes is great. A few tips from someone that has been doing this kind of thing for more than a few years.

Practice, practice, practice. Run through your speech, in front of a friend, and better yet, record it too.

Have a clock going, where you can see it while you talk, so you don't go under or over the time.

Keep the details simple, and just pick out the key points. Yes, that shortens it some, but, that is the whole point, right? Use last names as much as possible, instead of Captain John Parker, just use Captain Parker.

If you stumble on a name, don't back pedal, just keep going.

Excellent advice--especially the recording and listening to one's presentation.

Blue Five

Update:

I will be giving my speech tomorrow on the topic, probably about 10am.  Wish me luck!  O0

Working an Appleseed this last weekend in La Crosse sure helped me freshen up my memory of events...  ^-^

TomM1Thumb

As they say in the Acting Bidness, Knock Em Dead!

From Me: Go forth and do Good Deeds!
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

The Log

Way to take the battle to the belly of the beast! Be strong - and let us know how you did.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Josey Wales

..It is almost 10:00 AM, and I know deep in my heart there must be some in your audience starving for this historical American truth.  This small speech is so important, this small window of time can help educate, help to wash the stain of treason put upon us.  This is Project Appleseed at it's best, this is grassroots, low tech, we have taken a weekend event and spread it to the classroom.  This time it's our turn, we do not use deceit and our message is clear......Liberty....

.......Strength & Honor............Josey Wales............

.......Thank You Blue Five........Great Job.......
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

4bfox

O0 No problem, dude...you'll do fine! Keep us posted on how it goes....

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Blue Five

To those who have access to the Libraryseed IAAR thread, here is the link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23692

To those who do not, here is my retelling of the event.

I was able to speak at about 10:30am on the three strikes of the match in 5-7 minutes.  I would have liked to go into detail, but as it was I was at 7 min and 44 seconds after the speech.  I heavily emphasized that Paul Revere did not shout "The British are coming" because everyone was British.  Also pointed out that many did not want to go to war until the Third Strike, if even "wanted" was a proper word to use.

I also emphasized the sacrifices made by individuals, such as Captain Isaac Davis and used Jonathon Harrington as my "attention getter" in the beginning.  Additionally, I pointed out several times the Revolutionary War began that day and ended some years later, however the American Revolution still lives on in our hears and minds.

The audience was very receptive including, to my astonishment, the instructor who had been in Boston a week or two before.  She pointed out afterwards I would have made a great tour guide for Boston...as she went on several of the tours at the three "strikes".  I also handed out trifold brochures to the audience and the instructor, and in between speeches they all were reading them.

I also "accidentally" left my guide to follow my outline, which was one of those fold over Appleseed business cards, on the podium in front.  Hopefully someone finds some use for it  ;)  >:D

Nathan

4bfox

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Blue Five

Thanks everyone :) 

This was a great..."practice" for when I plan do to a First Strike in detail at my next Appleseed, either next month or month following.

^:)^ ^:)^

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Blue Five on June 29, 2011, 01:47:47 PM
To those who have access to the Libraryseed IAAR thread, here is the link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23692

To those who do not, here is my retelling of the event.

I was able to speak at about 10:30am on the three strikes of the match in 5-7 minutes.  I would have liked to go into detail, but as it was I was at 7 min and 44 seconds after the speech.  I heavily emphasized that Paul Revere did not shout "The British are coming" because everyone was British.  Also pointed out that many did not want to go to war until the Third Strike, if even "wanted" was a proper word to use.

I also emphasized the sacrifices made by individuals, such as Captain Isaac Davis and used Jonathon Harrington as my "attention getter" in the beginning.  Additionally, I pointed out several times the Revolutionary War began that day and ended some years later, however the American Revolution still lives on in our hears and minds.

The audience was very receptive including, to my astonishment, the instructor who had been in Boston a week or two before.  She pointed out afterwards I would have made a great tour guide for Boston...as she went on several of the tours at the three "strikes".  I also handed out trifold brochures to the audience and the instructor, and in between speeches they all were reading them.

I also "accidentally" left my guide to follow my outline, which was one of those fold over Appleseed business cards, on the podium in front.  Hopefully someone finds some use for it  ;)  >:D

Nathan

Great job, Nathan!! I'm happy you got through your speech and that your audience was receptive to the message.

dragonfly

Wel done my friend  O0

D-fly  Keeping the Faith  :)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.