News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: DFW, TX (Quail Creek) - June 11-12, 2011

Started by spitstickler, June 13, 2011, 06:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

Just wanted to kick this off by saying thanks to everyone that came out this event. It was a bit toasty this weekend, but you all pushed through it and everyone continually improved.

We had a few familiar faces on the line this weekend. We always encourage everyone to bring a friend with them next time, but Trevor has been doing some serious 7th stepping since his last Appleseed in Leonard. He brought along a group of FIVE  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 other shooters to the event and also posted some really, really close scores on Saturday. Next time you should go over the top pretty easily. Keep at 'em Trevor!  :---

We also had several families on the line this weekend. The Sung father and sons, The Erwins, and the husband and wife Macdonald team. It's always great to see this.

A couple of the highlights from the weekend for me was Tony's comment as we were posting the final Redcoat target for the day.

"What was the name of the big burly Redcoats who were knocking down peoples doors?"  I respond "You mean the Grenadiers?" Tony says, "Yeah, yeah, the Grenadiers! All these silhouettes are going to be Grenadiers for me on this course of fire!"

Another was Ellen helping us out with the proper New England pronunciation of Concord as "Cahn-cad" For the life of me, I still can't spit it out correctly. (I think it may actually be illegal to say it that way in Texas!  ;D )

Thanks to Quail Creek for being a great host for our event and for all the instructors who volunteered to help make it all happen. Especially Dale, for driving down from Oklahoma to lend a hand!

I'm sure pictures will follow either here or on Facebook. Please go to http://www.facebook.com/appleseedtexas and give us a "like"
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

alonso1

Quote from: spitstickler on June 13, 2011, 06:09:45 PM
   Ellen helping us out with the proper New England pronunciation of Concord as "Cahn-cad" For the life of me, I still can't spit it out correctly. (I think it may actually be illegal to say it that way in Texas!  ;D )

Looks like y'all (not you guys) had a good shoot.  By the way, you are right.  According to the Texas penal code, it's highly illegal to say "Cahn-cad" in Texas, a crime punishable by tar and feathering ;D

starfox

Quote from: alonso1 on June 13, 2011, 06:35:30 PM
Quote from: spitstickler on June 13, 2011, 06:09:45 PM
   Ellen helping us out with the proper New England pronunciation of Concord as "Cahn-cad" For the life of me, I still can't spit it out correctly. (I think it may actually be illegal to say it that way in Texas!  ;D )

Looks like y'all (not you guys) had a good shoot.  By the way, you are right.  According to the Texas penal code, it's highly illegal to say "Cahn-cad" in Texas, a crime punishable by tar and feathering ;D

Does not the aggravated variety also include "being ridden out of town on a rail?" 

Will post more once my sleep and travel addled brain has had a chance to decompress...
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

ryantx23

Thanks a lot to you guys. We really enjoyed the Appleseed and will definitely be back. I am glad you enjoyed my dad's Grenadier comment. He's quite a character and says that he's going to build himself a proper Appleseed 10/22 for the next shoot. We were somewhat unprepared this time, but that will not be the case at the next shoot.

Thanks again to all the instructors and shoot boss for volunteering your time and spreading the knowledge and spirit that has sadly faded over time.

We all owe it to ourselves and our future generations to fuel the fire and do our part to ensure that this heritage remains and regains strength.

grenadier

Just been reading some of the responses and comments others have shared, and wanted to add my thoughts. I've been shooting most of my life, and have always cherished the freedoms we have, that has allowed me to do so. The spirit of Appleseed reinforces my fundamental belief that patriotism is still alive and well in this country we all love. The passion expressed by the instructors during their telling of our early history, and at the birth of our nation, was very touching and inspirational. I enjoyed it immensely.  The shooting skills portion of the day taught me a more disciplined type of shooting, one that was painfully obvious I was not familiar.  How embarrassing, but as my son stated, next time will be different, in a good way I hope.  He and I had a great time, and have talked often about the experience. My sincere thanks go out to all involved in Appleseed, especially to those who volunteered their time to share with us. I really look forward to the next shoot, and hope to see you all there and in good health.