News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Birmingham, AL June 11-12, 2011

Started by 4merUSMC1803, June 13, 2011, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4merUSMC1803

Saturday morning started with nine attendees.  They heard the story encompassing the legendary exploits of Paul Revere, John Parker, Isaac Davis, and several other great patriots!  Then they got their turn to shoot some "redcoats".  They learned well, about the six steps of firing the shot, the steady hold factors of the various positions, and Natural Point of Aim.  Just before the thundershower at the end of the day, the shooters got to measure their marksmanship prowess against more "redcoats".

On Sunday, once again, nine attendees got off the couch and came out to strike another blow for liberty.  Several showed great progress evidenced by their improvement as they tackled the old AQT, time and again.  However, the heat and humidity began to sap energy and fatigue began to set in, but not before they got to hear more patriotic deeds from the likes of Mssrs. Whittemore, Lamson, Wyman, and the plucky Mother Batherick, among others.  Again, in the afternoon, severe weather threatened, but we were able to close out the day with a final run at the redcoats.

Matt read about Project Appleseed in Backwoods Home Magazine all the way down in Plantation, FL; he signed up, journeyed to the Heart of Dixie to pick up his father, Jim, and they came to Steel City.  He also contacted Bruce, who brought along his wife, Bethany; and he invited his friend Craig, along with brother Christian to attend, as well.  Matt was already "7th stepping" before attending his 1st Appleseed!  Then there were Callie and spouse John, who made the trek all the way from Mobile.  Callie, an Appleseed alum, who cleaned the RC target on Saturday morning, was on the verge of earning her Rifleman designation.  Alas, the heat and humidity were detrimental to that effort; but she said she WOULD be back to earn that patch!  Talk about persistence.  David, another alum, had a similar experience.  No doubt, he will persist and earn his patch as well.  On Sunday, Alec returned for his 3rd AS and shot some great groups and scores, just coming up short.  There is a patch in his future. 

I was very glad to have help from the following instructor staff: RHs, Bama & TLawley, and IITs Dane, DUHON & cadman, and, on Sunday, BhmJeep.  With these worthies on the team, and shouldering the load, "pushing the cart" turned out to be a productive, fun weekend for both shooters and instructors, in spite of the sapping heat & humidity.   

We're looking forward to after action comments from the attendees!  In the meantime, some pics are posted below:
D Lawley

cadman

A great bunch of attendees.  Thank you all for being there.

Remember what each of you learned this weekend.  Practice at home -- i.e. dry firing -- for several days.  This can be as valuable or even more valuable than range time so don't be in too big a rush to get to those targets on the range.  Some private practice at home without interuptions and/or distractions may do wonders.

I look forward to seeing you again at another Appleseed.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.  I'll try to answer or get you to the right person.

CADMAN

Semmes

Craig here.

Thanks to all the instructor for your time and patience. I learned alot and had plenty of fun.

I also want to thank 4merUSMC1803 for paying me the compliment of thinking that Christian was my brother. He is actually my 15 year old son  :)

I'll be seeing you guys again!
Craig

BhmJeep

How's that "Award Winning" Shoulder holding up today? Great to meet you and Christian!

Now next time let someone else win some prizes  &)

Mike

cadman

Craig

Don't forget when you come down to Birmingham on Mondays to to bring your son.  BGTC Jr Rifle Team practices at 5:30 pm till dark Mondays and Thursdays.  Christian is welcome and I'm sure we can find a small bore rifle for you to shoot (don't want you getting bored and/or "rusty").  Just let me know ahead of time and we'll have rifles and ammo available.

It was great working with both of you and I definitely look forward to seeing you both at another Appleseed.

CADMAN

Callie

4merUSMC1803 and other instructors,

Callie FINALLY earned her Rifleman Patch!  ^:)^ She and John drove from Mobile, AL to Rising Fawn, GA on Nov. 20, 2011.  Callie's score was 219 as she overcame stove pipe and trigger problems.  She had to reset the trigger manually due to technical problems.  Lots of practice allowed her to overcome those problems. This was her 4th Appleseed.

Thanks, Guys for all your help!  O0
Callie Goodrum
Callie
Mobile, AL