News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

**AAR: Zanesville, Ohio June 11/12**

Started by Ratchett, June 13, 2011, 04:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchett

As the ready line, firing line, and target line were being set up early Saturday morning, KAH, Dangerous D, Western Rose, Shooter08, and myself kept wondering if we would get to utilize the range as the sky looked ominous. Severe thunderstorms were predicted. However, Divine Providence changed that weather forecast and beautiful weather prevailed the entire weekend and Appleseed we did!

The shooters all arrived on Saturday with a great attitude - some were returning Appleseeders, others were first timers - it didn't matter, everyone became acquainted and got down to business.  As the day went on, progress was shown by all the shooters.  From the Steady Hold Factors, Six Steps of Firing the Shot, to NPOA, IMC, Rifleman's Cadence and Dance, the AS firehose spewed information and technique that every shooter absorbed quickly. The weather was beautiful, and so was the progress that was being made behind the rifles.

Anwalt, One Who Makes the Rules, and three little stinkers, you guys were simply amazing. Your enthusiasm to learn and soak up all the information given as rapidly as it was thrown out was great. Your positive upbeat attitudes helped keep the entire line pumped! Isabela and Carolina, your energy running down range to see your progress---WOW! We should all be so fortunate to keep up with you both. J-IV don't let that trigger leg get lazy  ;) , you really showed great improvement this weekend, keep practicing at home. Alex, I think you are a natural shooter, you had great groups from the get go, keep it up!! Anwalt, great attitude and shooting, keep practicing---dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! Best wishes in your run for school board, we will be watching! Another Ohio Dangerous Ole Family on the trail?!?!?!? ^-^

Melissa and Mallory you two really rock! It was super having a mother and daughter team on the line this weekend. You guys just kept drinking from that proverbial Appleseed fire hose and taking all the instruction in like human sponges. Great improvement all weekend -I see another Dangerous Ole Mom on the horizon  :D

Michael, thanks for returning to another Appleseed and congratulations on that RIFLEMAN patch! 211 is a most honorable score. Future orange hat  ::) ????

Bradley and Davis, a father and son shooting side by side--how neat is that!!! Brad thank you for returning to yet another Appleseed and bringing Davis with you. I am sure he made Luther Blanchard smile down this weekend. Missed you guys Sunday!!

Tim and Michael you guys define persistence! It was great having you back on the line again. Great shooting all weekend. Seeing the smiles and excitement on your faces shooting the AR was worth the whole weekend. Hopefully, you guys can join us again real soon.

Greg and Benjamin, you guys were so knocking on the door of that rifleman patch. Dry fire!!Practice those positions and keep that muscle memory going!

Donna and Josh, we missed you Sunday!! Hope all is ok with you guys. You were both showing great improvement Saturday, I hope you are able to make it back to another 'seed to continue those skills you so readily learned!

Michele, it was great seeing you on the line again! You continue to show improvement, great job! we missed you Sunday. Thanks for bringing your son, John, too. So many young men his age were out on April 19, 1775, having him on the line this weekend gives renewed hope in generations to come. What a terrific big sister he has! Thank you  Sarah for bringing your brother back on Sunday, I am sure John appreciated that you gave up your Sunday so that he could shoot. I know we instructors did! It was good to see you back on the line shooting too! O0 O0

Before the official start on Sunday, Louie offered some very appropriate thoughts about " no greater love than giving ones life for another." Definitely a message to think about during the day's COF. After a brief review of the Saturday material , we got down to the business of Appleseed, did a little ball and dummy along with carding the sights to be sure everyone was on task. Then, we tried the trigger control drill suggested by YHJ, it worked ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ Triggers were being held back and that 'finger popping time' disappeared, and then the AQT grind began.

Shooterwolf, a big THANK YOU for stopping by and bringing your AR for the young shooters to give it a try. Their smiles made the whole weekend, it was a great way to end the day. See you next time ? :--- :---

Will and Mark, thanks for stopping in and checking out what Appleseed is about and giving it a go! Hope we see you on the line again soon.

Bolt Gunner and Vern, thanks for making the drive over today and joining us on the line. Thank you for all you are doing with Applecore! Your seventh stepping efforts and all you do for AS is greatly appreciated!

Spanner, thanks for border raiding and joining the Ohio instructor core in yet another successful shoot. We appreciated your help and words of wisdom :) We can never have too many tools in the tool kit ;)

To the Zanesville instructor cadre, thank you all for all your help and support in making my first solo shoot as SB successful. You all rock!!
Having plenty of Red and Orange Hats enabled lots of one-on-one attention with the shooters, and gave everyone a chance to learn ^:)^  ..:.. ^:)^.

I'm looking forward to seeing many of these shooters again on the AS Trail - and hopefully our paths will cross at Briar Rabbit, a BEAUTIFUL club! Thank you for hosting Appleseed, we will be back in August! Shawn, thank you for all the hospitality and taking care of shooters and instructors. Pictures will be coming soon!

Everyone, please feel free to chime in and add anything I have forgotten. Thank you all again and I hope everyone made it home safe and without incident!

Stay strong, SOM, SOM!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Ratchett

Ok at 4AM, I was a lot forgetful!!!

Mary, it was so nice to finally meet the loving 'cookie mom' who always takes care of the Ohio Instructor cadre with yummy redcoat cookies and other delectable treats! I think I can speak for all on the trail how much we appreciate your energy and efforts to keep us all happy with those healthy treats you send along with Dangerous D and KAH! Thank you for sharing KAH, Pink-E, and Captain Hook so many weekends throughout the year! Hope we see you out on the trail again real soon O0 O0

'Mid'---Western Rose, I think you have become part of the Ohio instructing cadre---hehehe, maybe we will just forget about that return flight and keep you here! Thanks for being you, never change who you are ;)

Much love to you both!!!

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

Dougum

Seemed like Ya'll had a great weekend weather wise and I think we had a good group of students with some people definiteatley coming back. Melissa and Malory, please PM me when ya'll get on the forum. I'm still trying to get my mother into the program and I think that a couple of words from women might influence her decision. Any way, Western Rose, Ishy, Greenlight, Lyberty, I was glad to have the chance to finally meet you out on the AST. D, Kah, Rachett, Good to see Ya'll again.  Hope to see all Yall again on the AST

Doug :---
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Shooterwolf

Quote from: Ratchett on June 13, 2011, 04:52:53 AM

Shooterwolf, a big THANK YOU for stopping by and bringing your AR for the young shooters to give it a try. Their smiles made the whole weekend, it was a great way to end the day. See you next time ? :--- :---

I wanted to shoot with you all Sunday, but that High Power match was really calling my name. A shooter in the relay behind me mentioned that he shot with you guys on Sat. I guess I wasn't the only one applying my AppleSeed learnings at the match.

The smiles on the young'uns faces made the day for me  8). For the cost of a couple a boxs of shells, grins and giggles were abound.

Nice meeting the new instructors aand talking to a few I knew (Recharge, where were you?). WesternRose, Good Luck on your mission.

I'll try to make the next shoot, but if I can't make it, I'll still be supporting you behind the scenes.

Jim.

TruTenacity

Sounds like a great event!  Nice job all.  I hope to see pictures soon.

Ratchett, would you mind explaining the "trigger control drill suggested by YHJ" please?

Quote from: Ratchett on June 13, 2011, 08:15:30 AM

'Mid'---Western Rose, I think you have become part of the Ohio instructing cadre---hehehe, maybe we will just forget about that return flight and keep you here!

Oh no you don't ... she's only on loan!
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

KAH

Ratchett recapped the weekend quite well.

Thanks again to all the shooters that came with such great attitudes and spent a wonderful weekend with us.  It was incredible to see so many families, parents/kids, siblings, etc. on the line together sharing the experience!

I'll post a few photos.  I'm sure (Mid)Western Rose has many more to share.

I'm looking forward to seeing you folks again on the Appleseed Trail - all of you progressed quickly and many are knocking on the Rifleman's door - keep dry firing and you'll be there soon!

take care,
kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

and now the photos!
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

KAH

and more

KAH

KAH

KAH

Ratchett

PM in bound!

I guess we will let her come home, but only if YOU come get her  ::) --LOL!

Quote from: TruTenacity on June 13, 2011, 07:23:24 PM
Sounds like a great event!  Nice job all.  I hope to see pictures soon.

Ratchett, would you mind explaining the "trigger control drill suggested by YHJ" please?

Quote from: Ratchett on June 13, 2011, 08:15:30 AM

'Mid'---Western Rose, I think you have become part of the Ohio instructing cadre---hehehe, maybe we will just forget about that return flight and keep you here!

Oh no you don't ... she's only on loan!

Dangerous D

I hope that all you shooters muscles have stopped aching but that your minds are churning on the lessons learned at the Zanesville AS.  It was a great weekend filled with learning, fellowship, and hopefully inspiration (not just perspiration).  Thanks to all present IIT's, Red Hats, Rachett the SB, Apple Core, guests, and shooters for making it a great weekend.  Looking forward to seeing you on the line again.   

Louie

WOW, What a Weekend!!! What with the weather (Perfect on Sunday), seeing Ratchett on her own, being our leader (as we always knew she was), meeting Western Rose, seeing all the Ohio Hats, and meeting all of those fabulous shooters!
Can't wait to be out on the Trail again...
Thanks everyone for a wonderful, wonderful weekend!
"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." --George Washington, Thanksgiving Proclamation, 1789

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."

Western Rose

For now, here is the link to the full album.. I will add a commentary (**)) and pictures to this post asap. :) More pictures will show up in the album as time allows...

Link to full album: https://picasaweb.google.com/116159849346002620591/ZanesvilleOHJune1112?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And as an FYI, I have no idea how the pictures got out of order. #)
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Western Rose

Here are a few pictures. Photobucket has way more...

Safety briefing

Learning from KAH

Despree explaining the prone position with Pink-E demoing

Louie teaching IMC

Talking in the shade

J-IV

Isabella

Part of the line

Cousins

One-on-one instruction

KAH

Dangerous D

Lyberty

Wildcat (your welcome ;))

KD Instruction

Well done!

Family

The instructors of the weekend

Miss you guys
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Johnnyappleseed

Wow --sure looks like a great AS event  O0
I have not seen a safe rifle board like was used . I would surmise it saves time and gets the wording exact .

Thanx to all.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

KAH

The board works great!  It was made by Ratchett and actually is one of two that she uses - the other is a list of the steps to make a "Safe Rifle".  They are great tools for those that are more visual learners.

The test comes when Ratchett turns the boards around, and has everyone repeat the information back!!

Ratchett

CONGRATULATIONS MALLORY for your excellent 4-H Rifle Project that won a bid to the Ohio State Fair Rifle Shooting Sports judging. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Best wishes at the fair  O0 O0 O0 Enjoy Camp Perry too!! Shoot well. See you soon.

Ratchett