News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa CA, 11-12 June 2011

Started by Rocket Man, June 13, 2011, 02:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

What a difference a couple of months makes.   :D

Our last Appleseed in Azusa, at the Burro Canyon Shooting Park in the rugged yet beautiful San Gabriel mountains, was great but... kinda warm.  But that was April.  June, on the other hand, has so far been the mildest and kindest in living memory.  Far from the 105+ F we're used to, we were treated to the mists and cool breezes of a day at the beach.  What could be better?

Sixteen folks answered the call and took advantage of Nature's offer, joining myself along with hardworking IIT's penny's dad and gratefuldog to begin their journey on the road of the Rifleman.  We began the day with an intensive look at safety and a couple of stories about our forefathers, and the feats they could accomplish with rifled muskets, and then the fun began!

I think all but three were first-time Appleseeders.  Made no difference.  Even the opening Redcoats revealed that we had quite a lot of good old-fashioned talent in our group.  Californians do know how to shoot.  All we needed to do was polish it up a little bit.  By the end of Saturday we were already in sneezing distance of reaching our goals, with shooter Kevin posting a best-of-the-day 202 on his second AQT!

Sunday was just as nice as Saturday, and we went right back to work, eleven shooters returning along with an Appleseed "frequent flier."  ;) (yeah, bad pun, I know)  Our IIT's led the charge, and by the end of the day I'd lost count of all the Marksman and Sharpshooter AQT scores I'd added up.  Unfortunately, no new Riflemen today, but it won't be long -- there were several in the 190's, lots in the 170's, and one new Appleseeder cleaned the final Redcoat (with centerfire no less!).  Another chose to take up Daniel Morgan's challenge and concentrated on the "Bonus Box," scoring 60% hits on the elusive, nearly invisible little rectangle.  That's some fancy shooting! 

One highlight for me was the friendly redtail hawk that took a keen interest in our line, swooping over and over as if to provide air support!  We watched her like a hawk (so to speak) in case she decided to pounce on the little puffs of dirt we were kicking up, but she was just there to cheer us up.  You may recall that in the week before April 19th, there was an owl in the home of Isaac and Hannah Davis, something they took as an ill omen.  I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe this was the opposite, as Hannah sent her good wishes and smiled over our line today.   @)  Either way, this is one group who won't forget about our forefathers, or the sacrifices they made for us.

It was great to shoot with you all this weekend, and hope to see you again soon.  Pictures coming up in a little bit, and if you've got any of your own, please post 'em up!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

pennys dad

Something to note.

Ryan it appears our weekend was fought for by Jerry.
We are the only folks that got to use any of the back 4 ranges at all and that includes today as well.
I went up to practice sitting and standing positions and the main office told me that the back 4 are closed and the 4 Police Depts that had range days today in the back 4, had to be moved because they are closed even to PD.
We got lucky.

Rocket Man

Quote from: pennys dad on June 13, 2011, 10:07:33 PMRyan it appears our weekend was fought for by Jerry.
We are the only folks that got to use any of the back 4 ranges at all and that includes today as well.

There's no doubt about it.  Jerry and the other folks at Burro Canyon have been a great help to Appleseed for quite a while now.  We certainly do appreciate it!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

While I'm at it, here's some pictures from the shoot.  If you have any, feel free to post 'em up, or just come on in and say hi.  Also, drop me a Message if you want a copy of any in high resolution.

Here's the line on Saturday morning.  Students are ready to have at those Redcoats, and have some fun!

Heading downrange to listen to those targets talk...  What's that?  You say I need to get my elbow further under the rifle, and adjust my sights 6 MOA up? 

Everybody got involved on Sunday.  Here Matt works on his prone position, while IIT's Penny's Dad and gratefuldog provide the fine points

And here Harbell works on the proper standing position.  Chicken wings up and bring the stock up to your face, folks, that's how it's done.

Shooter Justin works on the sitting position, and learned he's awfully good at it

And now everyone gets a chance to instruct one on one -- here Mac works with Jacob, while Pedro works with Jonathan

On the other side, Matt and Mike, and Fabio and Harbell team up

If it looks like fun, it is.  See you at the next one!

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

gratefuldog

BTW, Jonathan cleared that Sunday p.m. Redcoat in a "textbook" Rifleman's Cadence:
Bang pause Bang pause Bang
shift
shift
shift
shift
pause pause BANG!!! :---

Rocket Man

Yeah, he sure did... which is part of why he cleared it.   ..:..

Pity we couldn't have run one more AQT afterward.  I'll bet his score would have been even better.   Sometimes we all have that kind of "breakthrough" where everything suddenly clicks into place.