News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas History at Houston Museum of Natural Science

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, June 09, 2011, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Texans - If you can make the time you owe it to yourself to see this museum exhibit.

I realize this is "off Appleseed Mission" but it relates to Texas history, firearms and freedom. I was going to send this as an email to the Texas Instructor Corp but decided that would be a disservice to omit other Texans on this board. We all know how proud us Texans can be of our state.

On June 2nd I took a half-day off from work. Me, my sister and parents went to visit the Houston Museum of Natural Science exhibit titled "Texas! The Exhibition". We picked a weekday to avoid crowds. There were perhaps 10 other people in the exhibit that day, including the security guards. Dad walks with a cane now, so I got to take my time.

http://www.hmns.org/?option=com_content&view=article&id=408&Itemid=447

There is a photo link on the above page.

The Exhibition lasts until September 5, 2011.

The regular price is $25 but we got our tickets at a discount through some internet thing my sister participates in.

What made the price worth it for me is the fact that most of these artifacts are normally housed in separate museums, but in this case they are in one convenient place. The exhibit begins with Native American items, then as you walk through the exhibit you walk forward in the timeline.

Some of my favorite items were:

The cannon believed to be the one used at Gonzales from which the phrase "Come and Take It!" originated. It amazed me that the bore was only about 1.25" in diameter.

The Texas Declaration of Independence.

An 1816 Springfield - same type commonly used by Texian forces

A custom percussion rifle (it has rifling) in what appeared to be .36 caliber reportedly used by a Texian veteran.

A percussion pistol found in the wall of a building at La Bahia where Fannin and his men were executed and then left in the open to rot.

The captured Mexican flag flown at the Mexican camp near the Battle of San Jacinto. I'm pretty certain my ancestor laid eyes on this same flag.

Santa Anna's ornate, sweat stained vest, as well as several of his personal possessions.

Sam Houston's sash.

A very large Bowie type bone handled knife dug up at the San Jacinto Battleground.

A knife and percussion pistol that were owned by David Crockett.

Money used by the Republic of Texas, including some that was misprinted DOLLRAS.

Several Texian Army enlistment records from 1835-1836. One was dated the same day that the Alamo fell.

A Colt 1847 Walker Revolver. This type of revolver was used during the US Mexican War. The particular example on display was claimed to be captured by the US sometime during the Battle of Gettysburg.

Hopefully some of you can make the time to visit this exhibit.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

sleepy Joe

By the numbers

voortrekker

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.