News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Houghton Lake, MI June 4-5, 2011

Started by ITB, June 06, 2011, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

We're starting to get spoiled here in Michigan.  Two straight Appleseeds that were warm and dry!  Dusty is much better than muddy.

A beautiful weekend at a beautiful facility.  Temps were in the low 80's with lots of sun.  We had 27 shooters on Saturday, but with some Saturday-only shooters (6), a graduation event Sunday, and a few folks cooked by the sun, the numbers dwindled to 13 shooters on Sunday.

Everyone showed up with very teachable attitudes, and there was much improvement seen by the end of the day.  WE covered A LOT on Saturday, and still managed two AQT's in the late afternoon.  We had two shooting lines going, so all 8 instructors were working hard.

I'd like to thank all the kids we had on the line - Mackenzie, Matt, Kaylee, and Sammi.  You guys did a great job.

We only had one new Rifleman (Swamp Thing), and he happily accepted the Orange Hat.  Congrats to Steve, and huzzah!!!!  Now get to work.   ~~:)

A few more shooters are knocking on the door - Beth shot a 204, and Roger shot a 195 even though he only got 5 shots off on stage 2.

We also had the opportunity to smack some steel after our KD instruction on Sunday.  After a few sighters, gongs were ringing and those bears were falling at a fast clip.

Thanks again to all the shooters and instructors.  This event was a joy to Shoot Boss.

Special thanks to Bob, Art and Vince at the Houghton Lake Sportsman Club for being such gracious hosts. 

On with some (Sunday only) pics.  More HERE in my album.  Password is applseseed.

Right side shooting line:

Bill Winkle explaining prone:

explaining seated:

Prone shooting

Instructors and shooters

Showing good form:

History:

Mike serving his awesome sandwich (and much appreciated!):

Swamp Thing with his Rifleman score and patch:

Swamp Thing accepting the Orange Hat!

Superheat doing his Paul Bunyan impersonation:

Kyle showing some good form smacking steel with the Garand:

Instructor Crew Pic, with Woodchuck, our host, in the Blue Hat

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Swamp Thing

Well it looks like the third time was the charm. I can honestly say I owe it all to Appleseed.

I can think of no other way to get the type of instruction in marksmanship that I received from all of the instructors over my last 3 shoots. I owe you all a debt of gratitude.

Now, I've just realized that scoring rifleman was the easy part. Living up to the funny orange hat and taking that "seventh step" is going to be even tougher. But, I'm ready to jump in head first and start swimming with the big kids.

Thanks again to all the instructors I've met over the past few months, and I'll see everybody soon out on the line.

Huzzah!!

ST.

Swamp Thing

P.S. Almost forgot.

Hey Burbs, I don't know who took that picture of the two of us but please thank them as I've already stolen it.  :)

ST

Superheat

WOW!  Houghton lake started with a bang.  What a great group of students.  The club personnel was VERY accommodating.  Great history, great attitudes and wonderful weather, priceless.  I cant wait to come back.

Miki

89 is low 80s?!? I'll let you borrow my dictionary.  :D It was HOT! And our persistent shooter persisted. It was my honor to work with you all this weekend.

I saw amazing improvement from everyone. The teachable attitudes were a pleasure to work with. You guys and gals ROCK! Remember a rifleman is persistent. I look forward to seeing you all again to earn that patch.

Mike, thanks for lunch! I was so not looking forward to those soggy chicken wings I brought with me. Remember that 'thumb thing'. Get yourself a tacti-cool pen and practice.

And thanks to Houghton Lake Sportsman Club. You have an amazing facility. Thanks for allowing us to use it. Thanks Vince for being our local BOTG. (And thanks for the sugar for my coffee.) Art, thanks for coming out and seeing what it is we do. You rocked with Burbs garand!

Bubbles, sorry to turn you to the left...but once you became a left handed shooter you let those targets know who was boss.

Mackenzie (sp? sorry if I got it wrong) you shoot like a girl! (That's a good thing.) I was honored to work with you. You are the future of our nation and I know it's in good hands with you and those like you around. Wow, did you make quick work of knocking those bears down.

Lyle, sorry I blew our team challenge.  :sos: Thanks for covering my slacking. We'll get 'em next time.

Drew, nice rifle, me want!

Tom, a rifleman persists. Keep at it. As I look in my crystal apple I see a rifleman patch in your near future.

Mike and Beth, always nice to see old friends on the line. You both have great attitudes and are a pleasure to have on the line. Glad we were able to have an Appleseed closer to home for you.

Kyle, you're putting it together. Persist and you'll get there.

Swampthing...welcome aboard...now get to work!  ~~:)

And to those I haven't mentioned by name (names are not my strong point) thank you all for your attentiveness and teachable attitudes. It was my pleasure and honor to work with you all. I hope to see you again in the future.

Grindstone

Great shoot. I think next time we get to the club there will be a lot of patches and orange hats to hand out. The folks in Houghton Lake have what it takes.

I'm back from Texas, so finally getting around to putting up the pics from the weekend.
http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/Qn2m7g4DE/Appleseed/Houghton%20Lake%202011_06_04/

Grindstone

JustTom

Great to see Appleseed in my neck of the woods.

The local paper had a little story.

IRONSIDES

My wife and I had a great time. The weather last weekend was the best we have ever had for an Appleseed.
We really enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones.
Thanks for posting all of the pics,  We'll be seeing you on the trail.
Mike and Beth