News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My first Appleseed

Started by maxmac52, May 17, 2011, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmac52

I'm Michael M.  This past weekend I attended my first Appleseed in Albuquerque.  I was scheduled to attend both Saturday and Sunday but I let life get in the way of attending Sunday.  Oh well, I have been single plenty of times in my life, being single again doesn't hurt nearly as much as missing Sunday.

I really learned a lot, just on Saturday alone!  Part way through Saturday I realized I had not had formal rifle instruction since July 1977 at MCRTD-Parris Island.  Boy had I forgotten a lot and developed a lot of bad habits over the years.  Julie, Roy, Elaine, and Chris were all very helpful and knowledgeable.  I am looking forward to practicing what I learned and God will'n and the crick don't rise, I will be able to shoot at least one other event before the year is out.

Julie and Roy were very patient and encouraging to all of us on their side of the line.  I am really impressed with the quality of instruction and am recommending this training to everyone who enjoys shooting.

The reminder of what it truly means to be an American (an active voter/determiner of my own fate) is a very important message that should be shouted from the rooftops.

Two Wolves

Welcome Michael, Semper Fi. We look forward to seeing you back on the shooting line and hope to hear you from the rooftops. Thanks for joining the chorus. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Shooter

Hi Michael!  So good to see you on the forum.  We missed you on Sunday, but understand how life gets in the way of our plans sometimes. :wall:
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience.  We were so very proud of your tenacity and desire to learn new skills.  With practice, they will become second nature and you'll wonder how you ever shot a rifle without them!  O0

I look forward to seeing you at a future event!
Elaine

Gideon

Quote from: Shooter on May 17, 2011, 11:55:56 PM
Hi Michael!  So good to see you on the forum.  We missed you on Sunday, but understand how life gets in the way of our plans sometimes. :wall:
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience.  We were so very proud of your tenacity and desire to learn new skills.  With practice, they will become second nature and you'll wonder how you ever shot a rifle without them!  O0

I look forward to seeing you at a future event!

I couldn't agree with more with Shooter.  Chris, Elaine, Deb and I enjoyed working with you on Saturday. 

I hope all works out well in your life. 

Come down and spend a weekend with us when you get another opportunity.

Gideon

P.S. Did you get your mag well sanded out?

maxmac52

First let me apologize for calling Deb "Julie".  Julie is my newest ex.  Deb was a great instructor and gave a lot of calming, reassuring advice!

I got the magazine well sanded, but that did not completely fix the problem.  The add-on extended mag release doesn't retract the magazine latch (this is on a 10/22) as far as the original.  Of my seven magazines, five have a slightly longer pin.  Two drop out just fine (probably the two I tested it with) and the five with the longer pins have to be pried out.  Of course I managed to try only four mags at the shoot and they were all of the longer pin variety.

On that note, it turns out that the 10/22 I had put about 300 rounds through was not the one I put in the Christie's stock.  So the rifle I brought had only been fired for about two magazines worth.  No wonder I had ejection problems.  Oh well, maybe next time!