News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

sling swivel studs into wood stock 10/22

Started by Eskimo Jim, May 14, 2011, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eskimo Jim

Hi,
I haven't posted or lurked here in quite a while.

Since the Appleseed I attended in 2008 I've picked up a Ruger 10/22 that came with a scope mounted however it doesn't have studs for a sling swivel.  I bought swivels with the studs to accommodate a USGI sling.

Can anyone tell me where to space the sling studs from the heel of the stock and back from the front barrel band?  I'd prefer to avoid putting a swivel at the front band in order to prevent any chance of putting pressure on the barrel.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

2 clicks low

First there are going to be 200 different opinions.

I like to put the front swivel as close to the band as posible and the back 1 to 2 inches from the butt.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

TN_Dadx5

All of mine are 1" in from the front band and 2" from the butt.

Good luck!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

douglas34474

The front stud should be from 14" to 17" in front of the trigger guard. I use the 14" figure for smaller shooters. Get the stud too far forward and you can't relax into the sling to gt your NPOA.

The rear stud should be 3" from the end of the stock.

Douglas

Old Dog

Wow.  You get to custom fit sling swivels/studs to your 10/22 stock that fits you instead of someone else.

When I did mine I got down in the prone position, got comfortable, gripped the forend and held on while I rolled out of prone and got to my feet.  One half inch in front of my hand on the bottom of the forend is where I put the front sling swivel mount (I used an M14 front sling swivel but the principle is the same.

At the back I put it about 1.5" from the back (used a M1917 Enfield rear swivel) so the sling swivel itself is about 2" from the butt.

Good luck with it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Mark Davis

Old Dog fired a 250 with that last post.

Eskimo Jim

Thank you everyone for your posts.

I'll get the swivels and sling mounted this week.

Jim