News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

fogged / steamy glasses

Started by farmguner, May 10, 2011, 04:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmguner

Does any one else have problems with their glasses fogging up while shooting?  I managed to leave work early the other day, and maid it out to the Canton McKinley rifle & pistol club range for a short practice session. It was raining of and on and my glasses were fogging up real bad. I did notice that by exhaling out my mouth, instead of my nose, the glasses did not fog as bad.

MeanStreaker

A neat trick is to take a foam ear plug and put it between your nose and the pad of your glasses.  That extra height will greatly reduce fogging.

Happy shooting!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Old Dog

Haven't tried either of these but I've read they work:

smear soap on the inside of the lens and then wipe clean with a soft tissue/cloth

spit on the inside of the lens and then wipe it smooth/clear wth your finger tips
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Fred

Somewhere on this forum is posted a whole list of things you can do - in addition to the above good suggestions: A bandaid over your shooting eyebrow (to keep sweat dripping/rubbing off on the lens); antiperspirant on your forehead and around your shooting eye (not too much - you don't want it migrating into your eye over time); a sweat band soaked in  cool water to lower the heat impact, etc.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

slim

A good ol' maxi pad does wonders as well! Place it down low to sit between the rim of your glasses and your hatband.

In this wonderful Ohio weather, sometimes your best bet is just break down and buy the glasses that don't fog up. They're more expensive, but they could be worth it.

Baminal

I found a bottle of 'stuff' at a dive shop for coating the inside of scuba masks, wiped it on both sides of lenses and for $1.99 it works wonders for weeks if not months.

Good Luck
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)