News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

May Buckingham KD

Started by Patent guy, April 18, 2011, 05:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

What about a Keltec SU-16 check out these reviews. I'm not sure of accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaqPowTdqtg
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

The Wolfhound

Lacking in something called "wood".  more like this: http://molot.biz/product-e/vepr-pioner.php

jmdavis

It's a short sight radiius. But if you want wood, I understand. Make sure that the mags are readily available. Mag availability is one issue that I've had with Eastblocs.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

The Wolfhound

With that in mind, I ordered several extras with the rifle, so, when, or if.........  Sight radius is rendered irrelevant by a scope.  It has been an interesting journey looking for a"pretty" rifle.  The choices are few.

Old Dog

Wolfhound, "pretty" is in how you shoot with it, how you feel when you hold it in your hands or have to use it to get a job done, not how perfect the finish is on the metal or wood.

My "pretty" rifles are 30 to 90 years old and show it.  My nice looking rifles haven't been shot in 30 years and I'll give them to my son's/nephews some day (if they act like they deserve it).

Not trying to start an arguement, just stating my belief (that fits cars as well) that nice looking don't get it done when you're serious.

If things go right that week I might come out to watch/help (shoot maybe, but that depends on the knees/legs).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Wolfhound

I am not looking for a rifle for myself, OldDog.  It is for "Dangerous Cook" and needs to meet HER specifications in case you missed that part earlier in the thread.  I tend to like most anything that goes "bang" though for looks I do prefer wood over polymer.  To have a rifle that my wife wants to shoot because it is "pretty" is a good enough excuse to have such a rifle.  In her words, as she reads over my shoulder, think elegance.  Form and fuction together.  My own "Pretty" rifle (a CZ 452 with a Mannlicher stock) shoots under 1MOA.  I cannot say which I like better the style or the function. 

Old Dog

Sorry, I did miss it.  I was thinking of a centerfire rifle (semi-auto or maybe bolt action).  I'm not sure you can make an AR15 pretty but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder (shooter??).  However, if I was building a centerfire rifle for my wife it would be an AR15 (light, easy to shoot well, accurate and easy to alter as needed to fit her needs).

Good luck with your search.  Come back and share a picture once you get what you're looking for.

Oh, I do have one pretty M1 Garand.  It used to be my avatar.  Dec. 44 Springfield with the original barrel and a walnut stock that was just unbelieveable.  It had such a pretty appearance I polyurethaned it rather than cover up that swirly grain with stain.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Tidewater_Shooter

Quote from: The Wolfhound on May 14, 2011, 12:00:36 AM
It has been an interesting journey looking for a"pretty" rifle.  The choices are few.

Check out the rifle in this thread.  An AR-15 with wood furniture,

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18187.0

The Wolfhound

Well let me try this again.  I was sure I posted last night but the message is missing.  The gun show provided a solution.  Dangerous Cook will be shooting her new Saiga .223, if I can finish getting it tricked out in time.  Stock and handgrip are polymer but if it shoots well enough, I can order wooden replacements.  Scope and mount are ordered, mags are enroute, a case is in the mail.  If all the deliveries are on schedule , I can run it to the range for a sight-in session Friday.  Sometime in here I need replace the Saiga swivels with a set that fit 1&1/4 slings.    My week looks busy.  We broke it in today and she was quite pleased with it.

Old Dog

They say the Saiga's are some of the best of the AK type rifles (materials and workmanship). 

If you're using the scope mount on the side of the receiver be aware that on another forum where they use (hard use) AK type rifels more than anythng else some folks report the side mount sometimes begins to work loose.

Patent guy

Sadly, I cannot get out of a school event I have volunteered for on the 21st. 
Hopefully I can join you all in B'ham for the next one (in say July or ? with the Commissar)?
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

jmdavis

Sorry to hear that Andy. The next one should be in July, though the dates are in the air.

n2oguy

:---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---  :---

AS one of the older shooters in Buckingham (probly THE oldest) I can make it to the shoot on 5/21/11. And as a side note my birthday is 5/27/??.
                                                Rich T

Maybe this time I'll figure out the numbers on my scope.
"Of the people,By the people,For the people"--Abe Lincoln (Except when Big Brother is watching)-R. Taylor

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"--Albert Einstein

sashok.privetov

Well, hell, I'll be able to make it on the 21st, since that is what everybody is leaning to...
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

The Wolfhound

Dangerous Cook's Saiga is coming together.  Saiga swivels traded out for inch and a quarter Uncle Mike's quick disconnects.  Cheek piece added.  Scope, mount and magazines due tomorrow.  The case is........well I cannot find out where the case is but it is not essential.  Should be able to boresight it tomorrow and hit the range late Friday to zero.  Looks like she will be punching paper on Saturday.  Do we have a rally point and a time for Saturday?

sashok.privetov

So, is it for sure--this is happening this weekend, the 21st?
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

jmdavis

Tidewater_Shooter

The Wolfhound

The Saiga is together.  We will be there.  I can hardly wait.

n2oguy

:---  Does anyone know if the grass has been cut?   :---
"Of the people,By the people,For the people"--Abe Lincoln (Except when Big Brother is watching)-R. Taylor

"Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"--Albert Einstein

jmdavis

Probably not. Any idea how high it was?

Mike

jmdavis

If worse comes to worse we will shoot 25m and then get some excellent 400 yard shooting in.

Mike

sashok.privetov

Quote from: n2oguy on May 20, 2011, 12:11:41 PM

:---  Does anyone know if the grass has been cut?   :---

We can always borrow Doug's Mac 10

The Wolfhound

A great day!  OK, the grass was too tall for a full course of fire but  it was still a good shooting opportunity and the raised area at 400 yards mostly allowed for shooting over and through the grass.  Beautiful weather and lots of trigger time, what's not to love.

jmdavis

Thanks to everyone for coming out. It was good to see you all and a pleasure to shoot with you. Next time I will try to make sure that the grass is mowed.

Mike

Patent guy

I'm sorry to have missed this one, but look forward to the next.  Were there any LTR cookies?
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

Tidewater_Shooter

Quote from: jmdavis on May 22, 2011, 10:53:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for coming out. It was good to see you all and a pleasure to shoot with you. Next time I will try to make sure that the grass is mowed.

Mike

Thanks for spending your Saturday with us.  The grass allowed us to get some quality distance time, i loved it.

sashok.privetov

It was fun. I can now honestly say that I shot till my sights fell off.

The Wolfhound

Dangerous Cook focused on her shooting and did not bring cookies this time.  I warned her that her "danger" might be erroniously percieved as danger to our waistlines rather than her ability with a rifle if cookies became too frequent.  There are plans for the Rifle Cookie MkII at  the Montpelior event.  Her Saiga proved itself to have been a good investment and her 400 yard target was consistently better than mine.

Patent guy

It sounds like D.C. had a good day on the line with her new rifle...so Huzzah!

Good shooting AND LTR cookies though?  Hey, a guy can dream can't he?   O0