News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Foam

Started by Edheler, May 01, 2011, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edheler

I am making a cheek piece for my M1A and am having extreme difficulty finding what appears to be pipe insulation foam. I have tried Home Depot, Lowe's, Pool City, Tractor Supply and a few local places and can't find this foam anywhere. I received the foam at the last New Philadelphia Appleseed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

KAH

I'm not sure what type of foam you are looking for, judging by the photo, it seems like it's different that what I use.  If you look in Home Depot plumbing dept, and ask for the 4' lengths of pipe insultation, you should find what you need.

If you PM RedNekEngr, or Posterboy, I'm sure they can tell you where they got the blue foam pictured.

good luck
kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Edheler

I did find the dark gray foam at Home Depot and Lowe's. It is 1/2" thick vs the blue foam being 3/4" thick and it does not seem to be as resilient as the blue foam.

Thanks for the suggestion about the PM, I will send one a bit later.

LaneArein

Look in the pool supply at Wal Mart.  It is part of a child's float.  They come in 6 foot length for about 2 dollars and they are available in your choice of colors

Xeyed

Once you find the foam. Visit the first aid section and pick up some self adhesive wrap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/COACH-reg-Sports-Care-Self-Adhering-Elastic-Bandage-3-x-2.2-yds./13423345

Quick and easy to apply and adjust.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Edheler

I had asked what the wrap was they were using, and was told it was this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?catalogId=10001&sType=SimpleSearch&ip_text=vetrap It costs effectively 5x less since you're getting 3x more is a good thing and you can get it in fashion colors as a bonus. :)

posterboy

Yes latex vet wrap......cheap ....

Spanner

Edheler, if you are making just a couple of cheek pieces, then the foam used for beer coozies is pretty good.  Those old split ones aren't much good for their intended purpose.
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Edheler

Spanner, somehow I went through my formative years without acquiring a taste for beer. Since single malt scotch doesn't require a cozy I just don't have any. I am going to go look for the foam in Walmart pool supply after work.

PHenry

George63 taught me to carry the pipe insulation to all events along with some tape - makes for a quick cheek riser on rifles with scopes mounted too high to git a proper weld.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Wade

Or you could get some crep from a shoe repair shop brown or black or tan  myself I would think  the orthopedic crep would be best (lighter then normal stuff)  Just a taught .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Spanner

Quote from: Wade on May 02, 2011, 02:02:40 PM
Or you could get some crep from a shoe repair shop brown or black or tan  myself I would think  the orthopedic crep would be best (lighter then normal stuff)  Just a taught .

Wade

Wade.  I like the way you think.   :)

What is Crêpe Rubber?

What Is Liquid Rubber?

I predict some messy fun in my future.   :D
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

Wade

I would use ether shoe makers cement or 3m adesive or gorilla glue  with the crepe,,,,not sure what kind of sander you have to work  with for final shape when you are done putting the crepe on the stock.

Remember to sand bolth the stock and the crepe a little so it will stick well.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Longshot

Edheler,

Wal-mart toy or pool dept, trade name Fun Noodles.   OR..... go to www.desertwarrior.com and check out the adjustable cheek rest made JUST FOR M14/M1A    $50, but it's cool and forever

LS
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co