News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Final Thoughts for Butner

Started by wildman, April 30, 2011, 10:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

We will assemble at 10:00 hrs near the sign-in station. That will give us time to get the through the trigger weight in and be at the squading table at 12:00.  It is very important that we squad together in order to get firing positions adjacent to each other.

Things to bring and think about:

Make sure you know your rifles Ser # or have it written down and the number kept on your person.

Bring a coupe of end blocks.

Check you rifle before coming gas plug thightness, make sure your sights aren't lose and the rifle is lubed and read to shoot.

Rifles must be as issued no match sights.

Read the rules available at the CMP site and become familiar the range commands as they are slightly different that what you are use to.

Bring some snacks that won't be damaged by hot weather. In the past water has been available on the firing line but bringing some of you own wouldn't be unwise. Sun block.

A small stool that can be easily carried will be most helpful to rest your rifle on during the off hand course or sit when not shooting.

Binoculars will be very helpful even a must. Scorers will have to be able to see marked targets and score boards. They don't have to be very powerful, 8 power is plenty.

If I  have missed something please add you 2 cents.

We'll see on Saturday.

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

CplTurner

Hi Wildman.... Good post

I've got a Garand newbie question..... Is a sled needed/recommended for single loading on slow fire, or can you safely drop your round in the chamber without worrying about a slam fire?

-Allen
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert
Competitive Marksmanship Unit
Far East Division Matches

M1NC

To piggyback on Allen's question - is single loading required during slow fire or can a full enbloc be loaded and changed out to a 2-round 'crossed' enbloc for the last 2 rounds of the slow fire?

Also, would it be recommended/does someone have a carbide lamp for sight blackening?
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

CplTurner

Hey Matt. I don't have a lamp, but do have a can of sight black. I'm sure someone on the line will have a lamp though  ;)

-Allen
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert
Competitive Marksmanship Unit
Far East Division Matches

wildman

Single loading only for standing and slow fire. I wouldn't worry about slam fires.  We are assembling at 10:00 we will have time to demonstrate some single load techniques.  It is easy to load two rounds in a clip there are a couple of ways to do it we can go over them Saturday.

I have a can of sight black I'll pass it around.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Heavy Cav

I recently found out that "slings" are not allowed in standing.  Can slings be used to pull on if not allowed to be used in the normal appleseed cource of fire.  I have just recently been made aware of this shoot and would like to practice correctly for the next few days.  I have tried the 1907 sling and pulling it back with My knuckles supporting the rifle and not using the sling for anything else.  I have also tried gripping the hand guard and not using the sling at all.

As usuall using the sling in any way seems to improve "steady hold".

If I'm going to practice standing I just want to be sure the way I'm practicing is correct.

Thanks!
22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...

hawkeye

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

NEWGUY556

A stool to rest your unloaded rifle on between shots is very helpful. The M1 gets very heavy real quick.
I tighten the laces on my boots as tight as I can get them too. It stiffens up my ankles. Try it, but it is not for everyone.
If you look at my avatar pic. you will see how I place my support hand. Just watch your thumb, when the op ro comes back and hits it, it smarts. Don't ask me how I know.
Experiment at home (Dry Fire) with your support hand in the differrent positions until you find what works for you.
Most importantly... Have fun. CMP matches are the most enjoyable ones I have participated in. You guys will nee to post an AAR.

RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

wildman

A couple of more things worth mentioning.

If you registered on line print a copy of receipt or at least have your competitor number.

I will bring some government issued inert practice rounds. If you have questions about single loading we can get off to ourselves and you can practice.

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

hawkeye

Remember to bring empty Garand clips I believe they will pass out the Hornedy M2 ammo, it may not be in clips. In the past CMP passed out HXP on clips. Hope to see everyone there. Steve
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

jmdavis

Steve, +1 on the clips the Program says that they will issue the Hornady M2 Ball.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Patent guy

Have fun, guys.  I wish I could join you.   :(

At the risk of belaboring the obvious & telling you something you may already know:   If you squad in pairs, you can have one AS pair on a point giving target service to another AS pair, so you may want to choose your firing positions in pairs.  Either way, make sure you give fast, accurate target service in the butts.  The other CMP shooters and coaches are generous with advice and a helping hand, and there will be at least one CMP-GSM clinic while you are there which will cover how and when to single load during slow fire, etc. (BeSwift & I teach these clinics, BTW)

The pair shooting can be divided into a shooter and a scorer, which allows the shooter to focus on shooting.
Take your mats and gear to the line and move and store your stuff together as a squad during the matches.  I've never seen anybody take anything (fingers crossed) so your stuff is likely to be okay no matter where you leave it while down in the butts, but if another AS pair is shooting at your position while you are in the butts, they can watch your stuff.
Also, um...watch out for ticks (just saying...)

Have fun!
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"