News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Genealogy

Started by Gunslinger, April 26, 2011, 11:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger

I admit it, I have become a Revolutionary War Addict. All it took was one Appleseed, and now I am hooked.

My Uncle is pretty deep into genealogy. And last time he and I discussed our family tree several years ago he had made it back to my Great Great Grandfather, who was a Pvt. in the 34th Texas Cavalry, Co. A CSA.

So after getting the bug 2 weeks ago, I asked my Uncle if he had traced it back to the Rev War or beyond. As it turns out he traced our name back to William Lumbley, born 1762 in Virginia.

QuoteWilliam joined the American Revolution in 1880 and fought in the battle of Guiford Court House North Carolina, at the Battle of Camden and other battles and skirmishes. He was discharged in 1782 at Sailsburg, NC. He applied for a pension for his services in the war from Warren County, TN and was granted a pension. He married Mary Reed in Southampton County, VA in 1782. Their children were Thomas, Sarah, Turner, George, and Washington. Thomas and Sarah migrated to IL. Turner went to MS and Washington and George followed their parents to MO.

I about fell over when I saw that. It is strange how the history of it all is coming to life for me, the more I hear about the people who were there and what their lives were like.  They paid one hell of a price to earn our freedom. And most days it seems like our "Fellow Americans" just don't care anymore.

Anyway I thought it was cool enough to share it with you guys. Have any of you tracked your family tree back to the Rev War?

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

My first  Texas ancestor, Thomas Pliney Plaster, was First Artillery Sgt. behind one of the two Texian cannons (the Twin Sisters) at the Battle of San Jacinto. They didn't even have ball ammo. They fired whatever they could scrounge. My family has known this for some time.

Thomas Pliney Plaster's father was in the War of 1812 stationed in New Orleans. I've known this for a while. Until two weeks ago I only knew of his war record. I discovered his father's parents names.

Thomas Pliney Plaster's grandfather was married in the colony Mass. in 1778. I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that he may have been in the American Revolution. I just learned that bit two weeks ago on ancestery.com. Hopefully he wasn't a Hessian (his origin is listed as German).    :(
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Blue Five

I myself have a couple ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War.  Elisha Simpson, on my mother's side, who was in the North Carolina Militia, and Seth Hall, on my father's side, who fought in the Massachusetts Militia.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

starfox

Quote from: Gunslinger on April 26, 2011, 11:00:49 PM
I admit it, I have become a Revolutionary War Addict. All it took was one Appleseed, and now I am hooked.

O0  It IS addicting.

I about fell over when I saw that. It is strange how the history of it all is coming to life for me, the more I hear about the people who were there and what their lives were like.  They paid one hell of a price to earn our freedom. And most days it seems like our "Fellow Americans" just don't care anymore.

And there-in lies our Mission.  I forgot it at Terrel with everything else I had to make sure to get in during the weekend, but John Adams, Founding Father, our first vice president and second President had this to say shortly after the events of April 19th.

"Posterity! You will never know what it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."  (emphasis mine). 

That lays it at our feet.

Anyway I thought it was cool enough to share it with you guys. Have any of you tracked your family tree back to the Rev War?

Unfortunately my lineage is French and English.  I'm actually descended from minor French nobles.  I like to refer to them as the Smart French Nobles.  Back when France was copy-catting our Revolution, they were faced with a decision.  Stay and try to stake a claim to allodial titles or get the heck outta Dodge?   They chose that discretion was the better part of valor and got the HECK outta Dodge (they actually fled to England, which you know, didn't really care for the French back then). 

On the English side, no royal claims (darn), but does include my Grandfather who in his late thirties or early forties was drafted into service for World War II. 
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Wheeler44

I am a descendant of Prescotts.. No, not the young doctor from out Concorde way.. And no, not the defender of Breeds (Bunker) Hill fame.....Just one of their cousins named "Sarge" Prescott.....After the war he retired to Waterville Maine.

My cousin took his screen name from that part of our shared lineage...You may know him as Prescott on this forum.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Cooper

Obadiah, Thomas and Samuel Cooper of the Albany, NY Militia; don't recall the precise unit offhand, but they were involved in several engagements in the Schoharie region, including Stone Fort and the Schoharie Valley Indian raids.  There was another Cooper relative that went AWOL several times during the War of 1812 during planting and harvesting seasons, but always returned.

Those Coopers married into the Tudors (yes, those Tudors) that had settled in the Carolinas and TN, supposedly related to Francis Marion but I haven't confirmed it with paper documents.  My father's middle name was Marion, and his father was Marion Romaine Cooper, married in eastern TN into the Tudor lineage there.

I was involved in genetic genealogic research before encountering Appleseed, and Appleseed has given it new meaning for me.  Maybe I will claim my DAR status after all... that is, after I have my own DAR up and running here on my apple orchard!!

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Gumballhead

Not me, but one of my co-workers is a descendant of William Dawes...Yep, that one (And she knows who he is!).

Turns out William's Great Great  Grandson was Charles Dawes, the 30th Vice President of the United States!  He settles in Evanston, IL, and his house is now their historical society.

Small world we live in, and not that long ago!

spitstickler

After getting the Appleseed bug a couple of years ago, I signed up for Ancestry.com and did a little research. It is really cool to look back. I found one ancestor who was a Rev war veteran, and others that went back to Jamestown as well as back to Europe.

The one thing that really struck me when looking into this was that my tree went back six generations to the Rev war era, and another six to to the folks at Jamestown. So it took six generations of my decedents living here in the colonies before they were pushed into a war, and it's only taken the same number of generations since then for folks to completely forget.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Nickle

2 of my relatives on my mother's side were members of the Lexington Militia and present on the Green on the morning of the 19th. John Chandler and John Chandler Jr. Not sure if they are directly in my tree or not. But, they are related. One on my father's side didn't make it to the fight that day, but did serve in the Massachussetts Militia (Groton, IIRC).

My girlfriend's grandsons are direct descendents of Solomon Brown (after the war, he settled the next town over from us). One of them was dating a Whittemore girl, and there's lots of them around.

I've mentioned before for people to take a little time and do some research. I didn't know about the 2 from Lexington until I bumped into the names while doing some research, AFTER I had been in this program for a while.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

starfox

Quote from: spitstickler on April 29, 2011, 03:07:23 PM
So it took six generations of my decedents living here in the colonies before they were pushed into a war, and it's only taken the same number of generations since then for folks to completely forget.

It's almost the corollary to what they say about inherited wealth.  The first generation creates it, the second tries to preserve it, and the third destroys it.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Kosciusko

Quote from: Gunslinger on April 26, 2011, 11:00:49 PM

No luck there, not unless my namesake was having , ahem, "productive  dalliances" with the local peasant girls  back in the old country.   Not that I'd have any objection to  being a blood descendant of his.