News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Smyrna, TN - April 16-17, 2011

Started by dond, April 21, 2011, 09:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

This range, the National Guard Range at Symrna, TN, was a new venue for us, thanks to the efforts of Tncolonel. And it was an excellent, covered facility. Additional Appleseeds at this range are being arranged. Ten shooters attended, eight of them being new to Appleseed. A number of scores were in the 190s and 200s, but none could quite break through the barrier. Look for several to do so next time. One of these was a retired Marine of the "almost elderly persuasion", who was a joy to work with. He listened carefully to the instructions and applied them probably better that anyone else. However, he insisted on using iron sights rather than admitting that his eyes were getting older by using a rifle with a scope. He was finally persuaded to use a scope on the final Red Coat, then declared that his rifle would have a scope at the next shoot.

The shooters began to get tired and frustrated mid-afternoon Sunday. Of course this is not unusual. So we took the opportunity to have a presentation on ballistics and known distance shooting, wind corrections, and BSZ. This also served to confirm their concept of IMC.

But once again the Fickle Southern Spring weather was on display. Cold, windy weather Saturday and pleasant sunshine Sunday. This was even more pronounced two weeks earlier at another location in TN. However, it was still a good Appleseed with good people and good instructors. But I'm being redundant.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

tncolonel

Special thanks to DonD for being the Shoot Boss for our first every Appleseed at the Tennessee National Guards Smyrna Volunteer Training Facility 25 meter range.  And special thanks also to his wife Sarah for taking care of all the Administrative work.  Thanks also to our IITs Big Gear & RunnFree we could not have pulled it off without you.

Look for some more dates shortly for this facility.  We had a unusually cold day to start out - I am sure it was much like April 19, 1775 in New England. 

Some photos from the event are attached

SuperDave#2

This is SSG Watrous from the Volunteer Training Site-Smyrna Range Control...

I am glad that everybody had a great time and I am sorry about the weather on Saturday but hopefully Sunday made up for it...

I will be working closely with Tncolonel on getting more Appleseed Events laid on and hopefully attending a few as well ( my Winchester Model 75 Target Rifle is ready to go )... This is a Great Program and I was very impressed with the way everybody there conducted themselves and applied what was learned from the first day ( I was checking in on you guys periodically and you probably didn't even see me  :) )...

Have Fun,,, Stay Safe and see you guys at the next Volunteer Training Site-Smyrna Event :)

DonD it was great meeting you and your Wife and Thank You for all that you do...

WK2
DAVE WATROUS
SSG, TNARNG
OPERATIONS / TRAINING NCOIC
VOLUNTEER TRAINING SITE - SMYRNA - RANGE CONTROL

RunnFree

I was a good time.  My daughter is knocking on the door of getting her patch.  The facility was very clean and looking forward to do it again.

dond

WK2,

Thank you for such a nice post. And I want to apologize to you. I praised you on my internal report, but inexcusably neglected to do so on this external one, which is where it most certainly belonged.

We do thank you for your interest and contributions to Appleseed, and for working with Tncolonel for additional dates. And I look forward to seeing you on the line next time.   O0
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken