News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - History Presentation - Trinity Christian Academy, DFW Area, Texas

Started by charles_w, April 20, 2011, 10:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles_w

On Tuesday, April 19, I was blessed to be invited to do a history presentation for the 5th grade class and the 6th grade boys during their library time.  I had 45 minutes with the 6th graders and 30 minutes with the 5th graders, so I had to focus on certain parts of the history and (hopefully) get them interested enough to learn more on their own.  A total of 43 kids heard the history, and all reports from teachers, staff, and parents indicate that they loved it.  One of the parents texted my wife (the school librarian) last night to say that Sean, her son, couldn't stop talking about the history that he learned during library!  Imagine that -- kids excited about the history of April 19th!!

I took one of the big "Bloody British Butchery" sheets from last weekend's shoot and gave it to the library.  The librarian laminated it immediately, and the kids seemed to really enjoy reading the contemporary account of the day and seeing the some of the names that we had just talked about.

I'm scheduled to talk to 37 eighth next Friday, April 29th.  I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to spend some time sharing the history with kids at schools.  They seem genuinely interested and it gives us an opportunity to spread the Appleseed message to a group of people that may not go to an Appleseed otherwise.  I think there is a good chance that we will see some of the students that I talked to at the next event in our area.

Texas Rifleman

Outstanding !!!
Great job and I am truly excited to hear the young ones loved the history.
I'll bet you gave them something to remember and to think about, stories that don't get told in school anymore.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

tncolonel

Great Job  - I look forward to hearing how your next presentation goes.  Thanks for your dedication to the Appleseed Project.

Fred

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

AuntieBellum

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

D-DAY-Jack

Outstanding!  I was at my first Appleseed this past weekend with my 10 year old son.  We both loved it.  My Dad scored Expert while serving our country in the US Army, I earned my Rifleman patch at my first shoot and my son wants to keep the family tradition alive by working toward his.  My wife is a fourth grade teacher at Lake Mead Christian Academy in Henderson Nevada, and she is interested in attending an Appleseed, and additionally having the students learn the history.  We are considering inviting the school board to attend a shoot, then presenting the program to the parents at a PTF meeting.  I like the way you presented the history and let the interest rise from there. 
"You're never beaten until you admit it."  George S. Patton
"It's a trade to be larnt."   John Weighton

Scout

Great job Charles! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I have been pushing this as a way to get folks involved throuigh their kids for a long time. This makes the fifth or sixth time you have taken suggestions about promoting Appleseed and seen them through to completion. That is setting a bad precedent.  ;)

The Appleseed Member who is the king of instructing kids is Dave Swinford, (Cannonman61) He has instructed over 100,000 kids with his group at schools and community events and continues to do so to this day.

Wait until you get the thank you letters. In the last three years I have given talks at five school districts and spoken with over 600 children and teachers.

I have over 400 handwritten letters from kids who have attended the talks. They are sweet and some are hilarious. They did not send me the letters because I did such a great job, their teachers made them write them. ;)

Did the kids tell you that their teachers told them that Paul Revere said "The British are Coming!!!"?

The teachers always say "That is what the books say!!" :) ;)

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)