News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Celebrating Patriot's day in School??? What?

Started by Trisha, April 19, 2011, 08:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trisha

Hey everyone!

Some of you may know that I am student teaching right now, and I couldn't wait for today to arrive. Almost every Appleseed I have been to, if not all, have mentioned that the story about what happened on this day 235 years ago is not talked about in schools. Today 23 5th grade students plus my cooperating teacher were able to hear most of the story.

(Kinda) unfortunately I was only able to get through the first strike and why the Colonists were ready to fight. I say kinda because every student and I mean every student were engaged in the story. Many of them had questions, some had comments about things they have heard about Paul Revere, Britain, really anything you could think of that related to the people or places that I had mentioned in the story. I was only able to get through the first strike because there were a lot of comments and questions, but that is just fine since they were so engaged.

As I am telling the story, so many eyes widened in disbelief and some of them were even saying things like, "No Way!" They were so excited about the story, and not a single one of them mentioned it was time for lunch, they wanted to hear more.

I had to stop at the end of first strike because they did have to get to lunch, but the entire way down a bunch asked questions about things they heard me say. If it were my class, I would continue on to tell the rest of the story, but my teacher said it would be best to have them look up more of what happened.

Either way, I have to admit I loved every moment of it. I think that most of the students will go home and tell at least part of the story to their parents, this I do hope. I can't wait to have my own classroom so I can continue to share the story with as many students as possible.

Blue Five

O0 O0 That's great!  I wish they did that when I was in school!

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

AFTERMATH

Huzza!
O0
So when are they going to let you finish the strikes?

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

dragonfly

Well done Trisha  O0

D-fly  Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Puma Mami

Quote from: Trisha on April 19, 2011, 08:59:05 PM
As I am telling the story, so many eyes widened in disbelief and some of them were even saying things like, "No Way!" They were so excited about the story, and not a single one of them mentioned it was time for lunch, they wanted to hear more.

Huzzah!!  It sounds like you are an excellent teacher, along with teaching some important stuff that kids need to know. That's exactly what we need in our schools these days.  O0

May God bless you for taking that on!
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

LadyVetch

GREAT Job Trisha!  I'm so glad it went well for you.   I LOVE that when the kids are engaged and to see their eyes sparkle... 

You'll be a great teacher!

LadyVetch
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

crash

Great work!! You'll be an awesome teacher   ^:)^ O0
"The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting."
― John Adams

Ratchett

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Trisha

Thank you everyone. If it weren't for AS, I wouldn't have been able to tell that story and I wouldn't have had a bunch of students today asking me to finish it. They were actually chanting, "Story! Story!" It was awesome to see that!

So thank you Appleseed!

Trig

Great work Trisha!  Keep sowing those seeds!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

colycat

Good work, Girl O0

Did you wear your RH and your shooting Jacket? The kids would have really liked that, big time.  Maybe not your comrades in the school though :(
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine