News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor's Shoot

Started by franklinfarmer, April 18, 2011, 02:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

I haven't got all the details hammered out, but I'm thinking to have an instructor's shoot in Waco on May 14 or May 14-15.  I'm thinking to gear it primarily toward trigger time (see the proposed schedule below), but there will also be opportunity to practice precision and accuracy in the position demos.  We can also make time for going over the history if anyone wants to do that.  Of course, we can modify the suggested schedule below as well, but if you're thinking to come, please go ahead and pick yourself a job.  (Empty parentheses in the schedule indicate volunteer possibilities.)  I know everyone will want to shoot, but I'm assuming at least three people will be willing to call the line and RSO at all times.

The only thing that seems like it might be an obstacle is the possibility of a CMP shoot, though they usually take the third weekend.  If there's that, perhaps we can just join them.  I also don't have the final word on range fees, but I think it will either be 10 frn or no fees.  If it's the latter, then I'm thinking to suggest a voluntary donation of 10 frn.

This is really designed for someone with a zeroed rifle and some experience.  (One sheet of squares and four zombies.)

Camping Friday?
Saturday Morning 10AM intro (FF) and safety review ()
rifles on the line at 25 yards

one sheet of squares:

prone demo ()
center square (5 rounds, prone)
upper left (5 rounds, prone)
upper right (5 rounds, prone)
transition to prone demo ()
lower squares (2 & 8, transition to prone)

Two pages of zombies:

sitting demo and transition to sitting ()
400 yard zombies (2 & 8, transition to sitting)
standing demo
300 yard zombie left (5 rounds standing)
300 yard zombie right (5 rounds standing)

(If anyone needs more practice, there are still four available zombies, but I hope we won't need them.  If not, that's only 45 rounds, and even less for those calling the line some.)

QDAQT:

intro to stage 1 ()
stage 1
intro to stage 2 ()
stage 2
intro to stage 3 ()
stage 3
intro to stage 4 ()
stage 4

(That's 40 more rounds for a total of 85.)

Then we move to 100 yards and:

shoot one four MOA square (5 rounds)
mark holes
adjust sights if necessary
shoot the same square (5 rounds)
shoot the advanced AQT as described on the 100 yard silhouettes. 

That's another 50 rounds at 100 yards for a total of 135, which I hope will be affordable for most of us.

Anyone interested?  If we're going to do it, then of course any Appleseed instructors are invited---not just from Georgia.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Appalacious

are you back now?  (I mean, back in the states...)
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Son of Isaac

Would love to, but I'm planning on going to Toccoa May 7-8.  Unfortunately, I only have access to about 1 permission slip each month.  Need to have my wife come to a shoot and meet your family so she will print up a few more for me!

So, don't think I'll be able to make this one.

~TravelPatriot

franklinfarmer

Not at the moment, but I'm planning to be back in town for a little while...and I need to do some shooting during that time.  Having an instructors shoot was actually Craig's idea, but after hearing you mention how you enjoyed shooting in Toccoa recently, I was sold.

I plan to be there shooting anyway (at least some time that week), but I figured other instructors might appreciate the opportunity.  It's also sort of a dry run at an idea I had a while back, namely doing one advanced AQT for instructors on the Friday afternoon before a regular shoot.  Anyway, those are my goals/plans.  Let's see what other folks have on their minds.  Maybe it's too close to the Toccoa shoot, but that's my only possible date.

FF

Quote from: Appalacious on April 18, 2011, 04:25:01 PM
are you back now?  (I mean, back in the states...)
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

cswhitfield

I'll be there!  Sounds like a lot of fun and an opportunity not just to get needed trigger time but to learn from some outstanding instructors.  Shaftoe, Appalacious, Sanderman, 4merUSMC1803, oldfudd, ColBarrett, Son of Martha, etc. that's a big hint ;D

craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

T.P.

I'll write you a note if it will help! ;)  This sounds like a great event and a chance to rub elbows with some good people.

csw

Quote from: TravelPatriot on April 18, 2011, 10:51:35 PM
Would love to, but I'm planning on going to Toccoa May 7-8.  Unfortunately, I only have access to about 1 permission slip each month.  Need to have my wife come to a shoot and meet your family so she will print up a few more for me!

~TravelPatriot
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

DrJohn

This sounds like a splendid idea, but it conflicts with the AS we are going to have at Augusta on the same weekend. Bagel, Kestak, Ms. Kestak, and I are going to be at Augusta, and I hope JJAGuns and Caesarjd will be able to work Augusta, as well. Those who don't go to Waco, join us at Augusta!

In Liberty,

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

franklinfarmer

I wasn't aware of the conflict with Augusta.  Certainly if there aren't enough instructors to go around, we should rethink the instructor shoot.

There's time, so let's keep open the possibility.  It's no big deal if the Waco event doesn't work out---I can always go and "work" Augusta as a shooter.

FF

Son of Isaac

FranklinFarmer,

The instructors shoot is a great idea and I really enjoy working with the Waco crew.  If it doesn't work out this time, please plan another.  I think this is an important idea and it will give the instructors a chance to discuss the training techniques and practical application of each exercise as we go through them.

~TravelPatriot

Son of Isaac

:sos:

Quote from: cswhitfield on April 20, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
T.P.

I'll write you a note if it will help! ;)  This sounds like a great event and a chance to rub elbows with some good people.

csw

Quote from: TravelPatriot on April 18, 2011, 10:51:35 PM

~TravelPatriot

Piker

Great idea!

Not sure if that date would work, but been itching to shoot an Appleseed as a participant. Was thinking I'd have to do it under an assumed name in TN. >:D
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Col Barrett

FF, hopefully I can make it by, but I know I have been asked to help the wife with a very busy weekend she has lined up for her business. We will be in Birmingham, so I think we can visit on our ride home Saturday night if it isn't too terribly late when we come back through. If we leave Birmingham by 11 CST, then we would be back through around 1am, so we might be pushing it. I will have to see how her schedules are lining up.

We wish yall safe travels as you come back over the big pond. Hope to see you at some point while your back in town.

oldfudd

FF -- glad to hear you're going to be back in the deep south for a while.  I'd certainly be more than interested if the shoot's a "go".  I'll keep checking here as May rolls on. 

See ya. 

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

franklinfarmer

It appears that DrJohn and Bagel have things under control for Augusta, so I'm planning to be in Waco.  Camping Friday and shooting Saturday. 

ColBarrett, you had mentioned showing up late Saturday night.  I think we'll finish up Saturday afternoon (or evening at the latest) and take off, so I'm thinking you won't find us if you show up.

Everybody else, I anticipate not being able to leave the gate open all day and possibly having to share the range with occasional shooters, so if you plan on showing up, send me a PM so we can work out a time to meet at the gate.   Actually, they may have changed the lock recently, and cswhitfield may be the only one with a key, so he might need to let me in!

FF

Piker

Looks like I can make it, what time should I be at the gate?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Son of Isaac

Just got my permission slip signed. 

I'm in.

Please update with official date and times.

TravelPatriot

franklinfarmer

Official?  OK, I'll try.

I think the date is May 13-14.  That's today and tomorrow (Friday and Saturday).

I'm going to show up at the range as early as I can, but that doesn't promise to be too early.  I am planning to be there by 6PM at the absolutely latest, and I will wait at the gate from 6-6:15 to let people in.  I'll stop back by after it gets dark, and I can't use the range any more.  If you give me a time on Friday, I'll try to meet you at the gate.  You can call 770-445-1145 and try to figure out where I am and if I've left yet. 

On Saturday morning, I'm planning to be at the gate (or have someone there) at 8AM.  Again we'll wait for you if you let us know you're showing up.  Piker is showing up a bit later, I'm not exactly sure when.  I'll update/post here when I find out.  I'm guessing that might be around 9:30.   We're not talking about a lot of people, so give us a time, and we'll be there.

FF

Quote from: TravelPatriot on May 11, 2011, 01:51:34 PM
Just got my permission slip signed. 

I'm in.

Please update with official date and times.

TravelPatriot

Piker

I'll try and be there at 8:00am  ++)

franklinfarmer

Just a quick AAR. 

We had 4 IITs and 2 RIs.  We pretty much followed the schedule above with 25 yard work done by noon, and 100 yard done on the same line with a CMP match. 

All the feedback I got indicates this was a welcome and worthwhile event.  (cswhitfield's idea) 

As for me, I can echo Appalacious' sentiment that it was very enjoyable to simply be on a line and have the opportunity to shoot.

One note about format:  With six instructors, we went through the position demos and rotated line boss every string of fire.  So each person missed one string out of six.  But this also gave the IIT's an opportunity to call the line and go over stable hold factors.

Piker

Sorry I missed it, but had something come up that needed to get done Saturday morning.

Did go shooting later at my range in Taylorsville and Joe let me put up a small Mona Lisa poster. Pity that the range can't be used on a Sunday per county ordinance, it would be a good place to have a 'seed.

cswhitfield

This was a good event.  The COI and COF worked very well for a one day Instructor event.  We actually could have shot another AQT and another AAQT without running too late.  It is a great time to get out the center fire and work on the skills we teach.  It also proves that marksmanship is a perishable skill that needs to be practiced and polished.  The AAQT is a lot more difficult than you might think.  Since we should be able to perform at a level that at least matches what we teach (I think we should do better) I hope this will become a regular event scheduled three or four times a year.  Maybe even do a couple of two day events each year and practice more of the the heritage/history as well as teaching techniques.

By the way I'm not positive but I believe that the top shooters of the day were also the two youngest.  Kinda humbling.