News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Lebanon, CT April 16-17

Started by vernic82, April 18, 2011, 07:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vernic82

14 shooters on Patriot's Weekend in Lebanon, CT (home of Gen. Washington's War Office from 1775 to 1783 ^-^) produced 4 new Riflemen and vast improvement in the skill level of every shooter in attendance!

How the days played out:

Day 1 - Began with the Safety Briefing then a red coat.  We jumped right into teaching how to build a solid prone position and sling usage. We continued with the 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors, NPOA, Ball and Dummy and IMC, with each spaced in between sighter groups. We even completed Ball & Dummy and talking targets all before lunch with this most astute group of students. During lunch CaptMac gave us the First Strike.   Back on the line after lunch, we went into standing and sitting positions, safe transitions and after we posted several AQTs in the late afternoon.  The day ended with us back in the clubhouse to hear CaptMac deliver the Second & Third Strikes followed with the benediction from vernic82 and reminder to all to stretch, take a hot bath and some Ibuprofen when they get home. 

Day 2 - vernic82 had the shooters spend the better part of the morning recapping Safety and the fundamentals taught on Day 1.  We then worked on honing skills in the lessons learned on Day 1, with exercises which reinforced NPOA and discouraging the fingers that love to jump off that trigger! During lunch, vernic82 gave us the stories of DOM. we got into the AQT "buffet", broken up with a teaching and practice of KD by vernic82 & CaptMac out in the nice springtime sun.  The late afternoon had the AQT buffet with impressive scores fired by all.  As the daylight faded we shot our last Red Coat and wrapped up with the benediction from vernic82. 

Some highlights:

3 new Riflemen on day one!

Alex S. a returning Appleseeder firing a 212 for a Rifleman patch!

Nicole K. also a returning Appleseeder and our Newest IIT (yes she stepped up and took the Orange Hat!) gaining her Rifleman patch with a score of 217!

Thomas C. another returning Appleseeder cranking out a 226 and a blazing 230 on Day 2 using only the standing and sitting positions!

1 New Rifleman on Day 2!

Karl K. firing a 219 with a tube-feeder, very impressive!

Nicole K. taking the Orange Hat!!!

A big thanks goes to Bill and his staff from Bozrah R&G our host - you guys make an Appleseed even better at your Club!  We're looking forward to our next Appleseed at Bozrah R&G!

Please post your pictures and comments!

Yours in Liberty,

vernic82
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

fprintf

Nicole coming across the line with a smoking 217. Huzzah!  And taking the Orange Hat is really awesome news. Welcome aboard!

Congratulations to all our shooters including our newest riflemen and riflewomen. It sounds like an excellent time, with a really strong rifleman/attendee ratio.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

The Log

Nicole - welcome to the club!! I knew we had our hooks in you after that first whirlwind afternoon mini-Seed in Colebrook. Thank you so much for persisting. Now about the men and women in your Guard unit...
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

CortJestir

Strong work everyone! Sounds like a great shoot!

Welcome, Nicole indeed! Thanks for putting on a Hat. We sure could use your help around here! Congrats to all our new Riflemen and thanks to everyone for coming out and celebrating Patriot's Day with us.

What a great weekend!
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Who_Me?

Woohoo! Go Nicole  ^:)^ It's great to have another female instructor in the ranks :)
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

kDan

Congrats Nicole!  Hey, we need more female IIT's down here in June for the LadySeed.  I know The Log and Who_Me? are coming down.  Can I get a "CAR POOL!"  whoop whoop.  How's about you guys commandeer one of those foxwood busses and bring a whole pile of LadySeeders down to China town.  We'll take care of everything from there.  I hear tell there's also some sort of ferry boat or some such skullduggery.  From New London of all places.  Unfortunate name, that.

Karl K., 219 with a tube feeder?  Wow.  Give that man a scoped Ruger 10/22 with a laminated after market stock, new trigger and a bull barrel and we're looking at what...  a 300?  Remarkable.  I've never seen a rifleman on a tuber.  Was it a .22 or a .30?  I'll break out my grampa's marlin maybe I should no?  Probably I should just get the ruger described above so's not to embarrass both my self and my grampa, god rest his soul.  I've got an idea now - the AQT on a Winchester 94 John Wayne Saddle ring carbine throwing .45 LC lead slugs at about 40 feet per second.  That would make my grampa proud.

Nice work everybody. 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

vernic82

Dude - you will not believe this but not only was it a .22 tube feeder, it was a tube feeder through the butt! ::)

I have actually saw a lever-action Winchester '94 on the line......I think I had to tape the guys shoulder back on with that fancy duct tape we use for name tags at the end of the day >:D
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

The Old Guide

Congratulations Connecticut. I met most of those new Riflemen at Lebanon three weeks ago. Glad to see Nicole take the Orange Hat.

We had five (count em, five) tube feeders on the line in Columbia, Maine this weekend. Last year we had a guy shoot Rifleman with 7x54 Mosin Nagant. He was a lefty.

Vernic82, What kind of rifle was that old tube feeder? I didn't get a really good look at it when I was there.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

CaptMac

The tubefeed was a Mossberg with a nice Birdseye stock.  He bought a Spee-D-Loader after Saturday.  Helped him stop rushing. 

A small bunch of concientious shooters.

Great shoot! 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

Glock23

CaptMac

Quote from: Glock23 on April 18, 2011, 09:46:39 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.   ~~:)

Pics are stuck on my  iPhone, and I am not going to be able to download them for a while, as I am away.   They will come sooner or later.
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.