News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard 4/16-17

Started by dwarven1, April 17, 2011, 08:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

I was about to post how cold and raw it was... and then I read Throop and Jericho AARs. We had it easy - it was only in the low 40's with a wind-chill that brought it down to around freezing. Nevertheless we had 27 shooters show up (24 out of 27 prereg and 7 walkons (four of the walkons only stayed a few hours as they had two small children, so I'm not really counting them)) and stick it out.

Made two Riflemen already, too, and I believe that both of them were attending their first shoot.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

AmericaStandsStrong

This was a real fun shoot, I was real glad to see such a turn out. Definatley wouldn't mind working on the same line as Todd (Sprocket) again. I hope that a lot of the shooters will come back to Harvard, or come over to Leyden in the future for a few shoots  O0

I want to see Derek and Jacob come back to shoot again! You guy's will get those Rifleman patches  ~~:)  ;D I took a few pictures and videos so I will put those up.

Links to the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwWueYOxBk&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBefYNZFlUk&feature=channel_video_title

Mr.Freedom

Dude! What a great weekend. These Appleseeds never fail to encourage and enlighten me. I cannot even begin to tell you what an awesome weekend it was. I got to shoot on a line with a guy named John that shot a 230 on his AQT!! Not sure but I think it was his first one of the day??? Someone correct me if they remember. Also I thought Dwarven1 gave a first strike account that was one of the best I have ever heard. Blake mentioned the instructors are like a family, true so true. Also once again, leaving a shoot we had two treats by Mother Nature or should I say three? First was a male turkey fanning his feathers for the attention of two females walking in front of him. They appeared to be ignoring him(reminded me of my high school years). Further down to the left were three beautiful deer standing in the field feeding. And then Blake got a great picture of the rust colored moon rising over the valley on our way down the road. Does it get any better than this? Well actually it does. I forgot about shooting pistols and revolvers after the seed, now that was frigging cool. Im rambling, over and out.
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

Sprocket

My line worked as a team from the word go - Although I had not met any of the IIT's until that morning we all knew our duties and went to it.  We all made small errors and taught each other how to correct and improve our skills.  Having staff like Matt and Ross floating around to cover "NPOA checks" (potty breaks) is a plus too.

As for the shooters on our line, I can easily say I am proud of their efforts and accomplishments.  Nobody complained about anything the whole weekend - there were plenty of things lesser folks may have complained about but these shooters were hard core and focused.  I'm sure that everyone on that line is a Rifleman in hiding - from Dan the DOM on the left down to young Derek the Unstoppable on the right.  Each one has the skills, the incentive and drive to make the score and I'm sure we'll see them again, even if it takes a few shoots.

As for the Heritage - Alix gave a captivating rendition of the "Wedding that never was" - amazing to say the least. 

I'll post up pics when I can.  I hope some of the shooters chime in and give their thoughts.

Burgermeister

Derek and I will absolutely be back for more!  We're focused on making Rifleman and will do it this season.

A funny thing happened to us on the way home from Harvard.  We ran into a friend of mine who was an Army Ranger, and I told him about the Appleseed and how we spent our weekend.  He said, "That sounds like a great time.  Let me tell you the single most important thing you need to know to shoot well....know your breathing.  Inhale, exhale, wait, send it."  I told him that had been drilled into us all weekend, plus NPOA. 

Thanks again for all your help and you WILL see us again, soon.

Sprocket

Quote from: Burgermeister on April 19, 2011, 12:52:32 AM
Derek and I will absolutely be back for more!  We're focused on making Rifleman and will do it this season.

A funny thing happened to us on the way home from Harvard.  We ran into a friend of mine who was an Army Ranger, and I told him about the Appleseed and how we spent our weekend.  He said, "That sounds like a great time.  Let me tell you the single most important thing you need to know to shoot well....know your breathing.  Inhale, exhale, wait, send it."  I told him that had been drilled into us all weekend, plus NPOA. 

Lee Harvey - You are a MAD MAN! I want to party with you.
Big Toe

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: Burgermeister on April 19, 2011, 12:52:32 AM

Thats awesome man!
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

Mr.Freedom

As a newly minted blue hat, I demand pictures!!!
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

Sprocket

Here's a link to Saturday April 16 pictures I took.

If anyone wishes to have a photo removed, please PM me and I'll take it down.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7186583013/a=100241177_100241177/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

AmericaStandsStrong

Todd, do you have to have an account to view the photos?

Sprocket

I don't believe so - you should be able to click the link and view...

Let me know if there's a problem

dwarven1

What's wrong with this rifle?

My first thought on seeing that was that either I was seeing things or... is that a Stag left-handed lower??? Yup... sure is.

Hey, even an SKS on the line this weekend!

What every Shoot Boss hates to see: a rifle still in the box.

Had a LOT of left-handed shooters on the lines this weekend. I didn't make a count but it was a lot more than usual. No idea why.

No sling but he's doing his best anyway. A Rifleman persists.

Sprocket congratulates his first Rifleman of the weekend - John.

Who lost NO time in putting that patch where it could be seen!

Goodpiper congratulates HIS first Rifleman, Paul!

We're all glad that the club didn't give us THIS range to use - half of it was under water after the overnight rains.

Fortunately, IIT MzWeatherby builds her own North Bridge to get over the new river cutting the 65 Yard Range in half...

Mr Freedom shooting in the kneeling position.

With the rest of the line in the background.

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Round Trip

Leftys rule :-) sprocket got it right, over at the famous North Bridge range, instructors and shooters were on it, hiccups learning experiences with the team a team.  Twas something to see our men racing to the firing line and one airborne then sliding in to get the first shot off, we want him on our side.  :---
Americans need to face the truth about themselves, no matter how pleasant it is.   Jeane Kirkpatrick

AmericaStandsStrong

I heard about the dive. Wish someone could have gotten a pic!

MetalgodZ

2 fathers, 2 sons:

2 girls and mom having a blast:

I have the feeling they'll be back...

Burgermeister

Great pictures, guys.  Thanks.

crak

Quote from: dwarven1 on April 17, 2011, 08:17:40 AM
(four of the walkons only stayed a few hours as they had two small children, so I'm not really counting them)

Go ahead and count them.  They came out in the same junk weather as everybody else, heard a strike, put holes in paper, and will be back!  ^:)^
Check your drama at the door.

AmericaStandsStrong

Quote from: Burgermeister on April 20, 2011, 11:19:30 PM
Great pictures, guys.  Thanks.

Might I ask who you were at this shoot?

Burgermeister

The second from the right in MetalGodz' picture.

AmericaStandsStrong

Quote from: Burgermeister on April 22, 2011, 12:50:36 AM
The second from the right in MetalGodz' picture.

Oh wait, you already posted above and I knew it was you.  ++) Glad to see you on the forum.

-Blake

Mr.Freedom

Quote from: Sprocket on April 19, 2011, 12:08:21 PM
Here's a link to Saturday April 16 pictures I took.

If anyone wishes to have a photo removed, please PM me and I'll take it down.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=7186583013/a=100241177_100241177/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Tod, thanks for posting all the pictures. They are great. Mike
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

Sprocket

More pics added from Sunday...

Burgermeister

Great pictures.  Thanks.

O0

guywithglasses

Hey Sprocket - did my homework and talked to my wife's grandfather Russell Smith. His mother was a Derby, descended from Elias Haskett Derby of Salem... first millionaire in America, quite a famous guy. Someone was portraying him at the Old South meeting House on March 10:
QuoteBy 8 am on April 19, 1775, news of the British march had reached all the way to Essex County. There Elias Hasket Derby mustered with his town?s militia and marched in the hopes of fighting the British soldiers. Jim Hollister and Emily Murphy, both National Park Service Rangers, portray Elias Hasket Derby and his wife in conversation about their hopes and fears, and the intrigue of a people in arms and a country at war.
http://www.masshist.org/events/more_info.cfm?eventID=596

He might be mentioned at the bottom of page 157 of the Fischer book, urging Pickering on. "...a private soldier who happened to be one of Salem's richest merchants told him in no uncertain terms to get moving."

Elias' brother, John Derby, captained the Quero, which carried news of the battle to England. Fischer book, p.275)

His dad, Captain Richard Derby was involved in the February 1775 Salem Alarm: (from a family history site) http://jacksonsweb.org/captain_richard_derby.htm

The family heavily supported the privateer "navy" during the war.

My wife's grandfather also served his country. He enlisted after Pearl Harbor and served as a tank commander in North Africa, Sicily, France, Germany, and Austria. He later became a master engraver for Smith & Wesson. I never tire of talking to him.

Sprocket

Nice work Dude!  What's it like having blood ties to to the revolution?  I only go back as far as my grandparents...

Thanks for sharing the info - if you find anymore tidbits please share them.

Libertyxxx

I love hearing you did your homework!  I live next to Salem an there is Derby wharf an a Derby Street. Hearing the stories are great I hope other will share as well.

Thanks for Posting Pictures T  I did my best to get everyone's best side!
Cindy @)