News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jericho, VT 4/16-17

Started by Nickle, April 16, 2011, 04:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickle

Part way through Saturday, and I'm thinking this one should count as a Winter seed.35 degrees at 8:30 registration and gusts of 40-4
50 mph, for a wind chill below zero.

Just 4 pre-regs, all showed up. All good shooters, especially the 10 year old.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Nickle

The 4 PM volley was snowimg, just barely over. freezing with gusts near or over 60 mph.

We know how much the wind blows your shots @
25 meters now.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

mike93lx

Wow! The wind was crazy today, but everyone stuck with it.  Thankfully it was blowing slightly up-range, so we got to chase our gear before it hit our cars instead of the targets  :o

My AR and Garand are warming up in my hotel room right now to get ready for KD tomorrow  ^:)^

kDan

Did you guys make it out of there okay?  Should we send in the Appleseed Rescue squad?  Last time I was a Jericho, I slept under a picnic table in a thunderstorm with Scout (don't ask), hit an owl with my motorcycle and then mistook a herd of cows for one big moose.  Nothing like a week-end in northern Vermont to make a city boy feel at home on the subway.

Got my Red Hat there, though.  From Nickle. 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

The Old Guide

Congratulations on the Red Hat kDan. We had a howling gale so bad at Columbia, Maine that the metal fence posts at our target line were bent right over by the wind. 
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

kDan

Thanks Old Guide.  I should have been more clear I guess. I got that Red Hat from Nickle at Jericho back in 2008. 

Your target line poles bent over in the wind, eh?  We had wind enough to break our main flag pole, but I'm not gonna complain.  From what I hear around town, you all folks, north, west, and even south had it much worse than we did. 

I'll be in Eastbrook, ME some time next month, about 45 minutes west of Columbia.  Can you recommend a good place to shoot?  I mean besides basically anywhere in Maine. 

Funny, I wonder what happened to Nickle and Mike.  Are they still out there?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

ripersnifle

I now HAVE to change our "Wind" handout.
We've all seen debris blowing across a range before, right?
How about a heavy lawn chair hauling faster than the 10-year-old chasing it?
The little man was at full steam.
I'll take a stab at it and say a "full value lawn chair" is about 70mph.
We definitely had some very strong gusts.
We were lucky no one got clocked by the chair.
Had a great time.
The shooters made progress.
We we astonished at the groups the young fellow was getting.  Wow!
We're leaning on Turk to take an Orange Hat - Strong shooter.
He missed cleaning the AM Redcoat by one shot AT 300.  (We gave him flack for it)
He did clean the PM Redcoat.
Another shooter improved from 162 on Saturday to 197 on Sunday before we started the KD portion.
Knocking on the door.
We ALL enjoyed KD.
Can't wait for the next one.

sk
Proctor 408

R1SGx2

Good Job Team NorthEast, 2  O0 O0 up...

You you say Nickle was chasing a lawn chair and acting like a 10 year old??? Oh, just re-read it, sorry, was hung up on kDan just getting his Red Hat...

Nice work shooters and to the chair chaser....

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

mike93lx

What an awesome weekend! The wind made Saturday interesting but after the rain rolled through on Sunday, it was perfect.  The wind was manageable and it was a great opportunity to show how to compensate.

Dan, I made it back home ok, but you'll have to ask Nickle for his story.  Let's just say it involved a large stick and a tow truck  :-X

To anyone within a day's drive...you NEED to come up to an Appleseed at The Ethan Allen Training Site in Jericho, VT! This facility is awesome and will really show you how to stretch the legs of your rifle.  Now if we could just get on the pop-ups... ;)

kDan

Quote from: mike93lx on April 18, 2011, 11:27:34 PMLet's just say it involved a large stick and a tow truck  :-X

HA!  I knew it.  That place is shall we say... behind the 8 ball?  Where do owls get hit by a motorcycles anyway?  It's the forest primeval, with 600m target pits, pop-ups and ma deuce over the hillside...  "bup bup bup"
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Nickle

Well, another Patriot's Day weekend, another transmission oil pan. This one got punctured by a stick while posting our two range guards.

Mike was very gracious enough to use his AAA to get my Jeep towed home for free. I owe you a big one Mike.

And, Mike is also too modest to tell you all he shot a 228 on KD Sunday, with an AR. THe wind wsa blowing much less, but, it was still blowing some, enough to have to compensate.