News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CT-resident instructor loaning LTRs to MA-resident student @ Harvard?

Started by fprintf, April 11, 2011, 11:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fprintf

I have a good friend, a Massachusetts resident, that is interested in coming out to an Appleseed event, either in Harvard or Pelham.

I am a CT resident, and would like to come up and instruct but also to bring my pair of LTRs. However I am interested to hear whether there are any state laws I need to be aware of. My friend does not have an FID card, carry permit or anything like that. I need to be aware of what MA laws apply to temporarily loaning rifles to a student.

So what is the best way to provide this potential student with an LTR?
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

Nickle

As far as I know, it is legal to do so, if it is just for the period of the day's instruction, and he does not retain "custody" of it (as in overnight).

Federal law wise, it is totally legal to do just this.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

dwarven1

Your friend canNOT be in possession of the rifle unless he is in the presence of someone with a MA License To Carry or FID card. YOU, as the owner, can bring them into the state for purposes of competition but you can't loan them to your friend until you're in the presence of one of the MA instructors with the right credentials. THEN they're good to go.

Stupid but that's the way the law pretty much works.  #) Basically, non-licensed persons can only handle / shoot firearms while they're under the "supervision" of a licensed person. And AFAIK all of our Red Hats have our LTCs.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

nyrasgt

Soooooo, one of the tasks of General Gage's men on 19 April, 1775, was to check the colonists in Lexington and Concord, particularly the (going to use a bad word here) militia/minute men and Sons of Liberty for Carry Licenses or FID cards?  Wonder what you'd need today for a 6-pounder cannon (what Gage's relief column brought) or the 24-pounders hidden in Col. Barrett's fields...
   Historical and present-day irony - my favorite flavors...of trigger-guards...
Excelsior,
madMark
Denizen of Semi-freedom-loving Nieu Yawk...
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

dwarven1

Quote from: nyrasgt on April 11, 2011, 03:04:41 PMWonder what you'd need today for a 6-pounder cannon (what Gage's relief column brought) or the 24-pounders hidden in Col. Barrett's fields...

A license to fire the damned things from the local fire department.  !@#)

Warning... don't tease the MA denizens - this crap is definitely a sore point with us.  &) &)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

fprintf

Thanks for the replies. Since it might be a two day event, and I will be staying over in MA, can I stay overnight with my friend or do I need to find a way to loan the rifles to one of the said MA instructors for the evening?  Either that or I have to find a place to stay over the border in NH.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

lupis42

I can put you up for the night, and am about half an hour from the range - (though that gets down to twenty-odd minutes if posterior is hauled)

Shoot me a pm, or email - lupis42 (at gmail)
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.