News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watch out for corrosion on surplus DAG/MEN 7.62x51 ammo...

Started by Grayson, April 09, 2011, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayson

For those that favor the 7.62x51 (and don't reload), German surplus DAG/MEN ammo has been a pretty nice deal lately.  Even comes in nifty "battle packs" for long term storage...

Unfortunately, I read elsewhere that it might behoove one to crack open the battle packs AND boxes to check for corrosion on the cases.  I had no idea, the first pack I got was pretty well flawless.  But I did notice some iffy rounds in the second one.  Opened up a third pack, and out of the boxes I've examined so far, 9 out of 40 rounds are at least a LITTLE iffy, and some of them I wouldn't want to stick in my rifle at all. 

Kind of a bummer, the "good" rounds are VERY VERY good, reliable and accurate to boot!  In fact I'm hoping I can get 500 good rounds together to take to my next Appleseed.  I'd actually go buy more if the ones selling them would lower the price a bit to reflect this development.

There's a good discussion going on on another board with SOME known lot #s to watch out for (and some that seem to be good all around).  I don't know that a link would be kosher so anyone interested can PM me for it.

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Grayson

Hmm, they specify 1992 or 1994 year.  My first pack was from 1992, and that one had all good rounds in it.

1994 not so much, but 1993 is the year that keeps coming up related to the corrosion thing.

Old Dog

I have never bought it so I can't say for sure just how much it is corroded.

However, when I'm reloading and come across a case that the polisher didn't clean up I chuck the case in one of those Lee case trimmer tools in my cordless drill and spin the case against some steel wool.  Cleans them up pretty nice.

That should work for loaded rounds as long as you spin them slowly (not sure if they'd get too hot if you turned them really fast).  Either that or just rub the bad spots with the steel wool and it'll take most of the corrosion off the case/bullet.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

vernic82

I've spun Surplus Brit 7.62 in the past and it's worked fine - YMMV.

I also spin live pistol rounds all the time with no ill effects. 
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

henschman

I have some Portugese 7.62x51 in battle packs, and the cases are corroded wherever they touch the cardboard boxes they are in.  However, it appears to be purely cosmetic... the M1A eats them no problem.  Accuracy is fine.  It will do 2 MOA no problem.

I would just shoot the stuff and see how it does, unless you are obsessive/compulsive or something. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Grayson

Here's a pic of 3 rounds I've found, examples of the ones I would question at least a bit before using:

The left one will most likely leave behind copper colored discoloration even after cleaning the other stuff off.  Middle one may or may not.  The one on the right, though, should clean up just fine.

Wheeler44

I know that I'm stupid, but, that ammo looks fine to me. I have shot some stuff that looks far worse than that.

One thing that I will do if I find corroded ammo is, carry the worst lookin pieces in my pocket for a couple of days. When the verdigris has worn off I inspect the case with a powerful magnifying glass (my eyes aren't what they were) and look for pitting. No pitting and it's good to go.

This is what I do and by no means an endorsement. 
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Greg in MO

Yes, some of the German stuff is corroded a bit.  Throw it in the tumbler and it cleans up fine.  I have had no feeding or other issues with it, and it shoots just fine.

Greg

Fred

Be aware: Tumbling will sometimes alter the powder characteristics and is not recommended.

I'm with henschman on this one.

If you like, sort out all the corroded stuff, and I'll shoot it, myself. :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Scarecrow

+1 on what Fred said about tumbling/vibrating loaded rounds.
The poweder breaks up in the case and will change the burn characteristics.
In many instances it will be a faster burn, higher pressure, bad Juju.
Hand polish only.

Quote from: Fred on April 11, 2011, 01:40:35 PM

Be aware: Tumbling will sometimes alter the powder characteristics and is not recommended.

I'm with henschman on this one.

If you like, sort out all the corroded stuff, and I'll shoot it, myself. :)