News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Three Forks MT april 9-10 2011

Started by Mark Davis, April 08, 2011, 09:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

The Three forks shoot is On! Writing this early Friday morning it has been snowing at here for 24 hours straight.
A foot of nice wet snow at my house near Four Corners.
This storm is about over with better weather predicted for the weekend.
The Sam Whittamore range lies at much lower elevation than either Four Corners, Belgrade and Bozeman. No Information right now but it is a safe bet that there is much less to no snow at the range.
The veiw of Hollowtop mountian will be worth the drive.
I really don't need to tell Montana folk how to dress for a bit of spring weather.
The shoot, the History, the Heritage is ON see you there.

Mark Davis

Just talked to Krissiy on the phone less than two inches at the range.

Mark Davis

Icy roads all the way to the range this morning.
Arrived at Samuel Whittamore range and very pleased to see just a skiff of snow on the grass with some bare dirt showing.
Snow had fallen in the Bozeman area for nearly 40 of the previous 48 hours.
The sky was dark, Hollow top mountain out of sight in the low hanging clouds.
Fourteen shooters, four repeats.
By the time we got through the safety, talk, a brief landowner appreciation talk by Kurt, and ole clod's customary powder raids previous to the first red coat talk. The snow was gone at the range and the gummy clay sticking to the boots.
By noon everyone was stripping clothing layers and enjoying the first sunshine in three days.
Hollow top enshrouded in a pure white layer of fresh new snow was visible.
No new riflemen yet and three previous ones still rusty.
Asha came up all the way from N. Utah.
226 rounds fired and every body went home with smile and a bit of sunburn.

Mark Davis

Sunday at beautiful Samuel Whittamore, No ice! plenty of fresh air, and like BEEMER say's "replenished at a high rate of speed".
The target boards were still standing so after the safety briefing we started shooting.
Two of our pre Rifleman made the grade and one new one was awarded the coveted badge despite some blustery breeze that kept us bundled up.
Our new Riflewoman, Kayla has persevered through many appleseeds and multiple equipment problems. Her rifle went back to the manufacture last winter and preformed very well, she had the skills last summer but her equipment always stumbled.
Jack and Kevin, you are coming along practice, and stretch those shoulders to get the elbow under the rifle.
Kristen showed great improvement, shooting factory sighted, right bolt rifle from her left shoulder, It's the hits that count and you were making them.
Tom and Barbie, nice improvement.
Logan, now you see the value of what we teach employ it, you can do 250s
Seth, the skill of the rifle needs nourished, I recommend regular whiffs of burned power.
I have a black North Face hat, found in the parking area near where Seth was parked.
Heritage is the history we care about.
The boys of '75 are my heritage.

mtjohnsons

A big huge thanks to all of the instructors who made this a fantastic weekend.  I learned so much!  I was nervous going in as a female with very little experience but I brought an open mind and found out I had more cheerleaders than a person could wish for!  I got everything and more out of the weekend that I hoped for.  Just sorry I had to leave a few hours early.  You all give up your time for us and I wanted to let you know how much it was appreciated.  I'm on the lookout for a good left handed gun, that is for sure.  ;) Enough of this reaching over nonsense!   Thanks to the other shooters as well for making me feel welcome (especially you Logan!) 

thburr

Can't thank Clodhopper and Necee enough for the singing.  Asha was amazing!! 
I'm glad I was there when Kayla finally earned her Rifleman.  She is a tough customer and never gives up.  Huzzah!
Thanks to the owners of the Samuel Whittamore Memorial Range for allowing us to use the facility.  A few of the shooters even got in some centerfire shooting just a little past 25 meters.
I hope all of the shooters come back and join us for more Appleseed shoots. 

mtmisfit

Quote from: mtjohnsons on April 11, 2011, 03:02:59 PM
A big huge thanks to all of the instructors who made this a fantastic weekend.  I learned so much!  I was nervous going in as a female with very little experience but I brought an open mind and found out I had more cheerleaders than a person could wish for!  I got everything and more out of the weekend that I hoped for.  Just sorry I had to leave a few hours early.  You all give up your time for us and I wanted to let you know how much it was appreciated.  I'm on the lookout for a good left handed gun, that is for sure.  ;) Enough of this reaching over nonsense!   Thanks to the other shooters as well for making me feel welcome (especially you Logan!)

Here's a mirror image of the rifle you were shooting except for the stock.....

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-american/
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

asha

i just want to say thank you so much to everyone. i came here thinkin i was just gonna sing a couple verses of Amazing Grace and left with gun experience and an ALMOST rifalmen.... ;) i had a lot of fun again and i will be coming to these a lot more!
And thank you Necee and Tyson i love you guys!

thburr

This was the biggest shoot I've been to in Montana- it was AWESOME to see so many come out- especially after the weather we'd had the days before.  Saturday morning was a little chilly but once the sun came out it wasn't too bad.  The range is such a gorgeous spot to shoot and so serene....when the wind isn't blowing ;)  We had shooters of all experience levels and eager to learn.  It's so fun to watch their faces and see that they know when they make the shot and when they don't.  Way to go Kayla!!!  You stuck it out and kept coming back until you got it!!  Hope we still get to see you some!  We even helped Clodhopper get some practice in at shooting a redcoat lefty and standing against everyone else prone...it was close ;)  Thanks so much to Asha for coming and giving us a live performance of Amazing Grace and even God Bless America- they carried well in the wind!!  We had such a great instructor crew too- THANKS!!!  You really do make the difference!!

OOPS!  This is from Necee....didn't notice that thburr was still logged on  ::)

Necee

More pics of the weekend.....