News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sling Question

Started by cthulhufan, April 06, 2011, 11:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhufan

Hello, I'm signed up for the 16-17Apr2011 Osage Beach shoot and can't wait.

I have a question about my backup rifle's sling setup.  My primary rifle should be fine, it's a .22LR with a USGI cotton web sling.  My secondary rifle, however and the one I'd like to shoot on the second day, is a 7.62x54R with a leather sling.

Here's a picture of it: http://www.digistorm.net/images/Firearms/PSL_Sling_Mount.png

Will I be able to use this sling effectively or should I try to come up with something else?  Seems to me that I could just un-loop the sling from the rear mount or something but I'd like some advice as to whether or not this type of sling setup is practical for the Appleseed instruction.

At the end of the day, I could just use my .22 for the whole weekend but I'd really enjoy getting some line time in with this rifle while I've got plenty of experienced folks available to help instruct me.  I have plenty of rounds down range with her.

Thanks for any advice.

2 clicks low

This sling will be fine for hasty. Not sure if it would adjust for loop.

Bring some nylon wire ties. You can use the GI web sling off your 22. Remove current sling and loop a tie thru the slots by the butt. Leave loose, you can clip the rear of the sling on to it there. Put another tie loop up frount where the clip is. Leave this loose too. You can string the GI sling thru there.

Presto instant swivels.

If in doubt ask. We've figured out harder.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

oladcock

With quick disconnects you can switch slings between rifles in seconds....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

cthulhufan

Thank you, gentleman, I will bring some sturdy nylon zip ties.

At risk of sounding like a dumbass; what, exactly, are quick disconnects and where can I get them?  They sound perfect for switching my GI web sling between rifles.

--James

shootermedic816

CT,
Its a mount that allows you to attach and detach your sling quickly.  Thus allowing you to move it between rifles.  See the link below for a better idea.  If your using a GI sling make sure you get the 1 1/4" swivels, the 1" that wally world usually has in stock are too small.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outdoor-Connection-QR8482-Talon-Swivels/734646.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsling%2Bswivels%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=sling+swivels&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you purchase from cabelas make sure you get the one with the screws otherwise you will have to purchase them separately if your rifles don't already have them mounted on the stock.

-Jonathan
AKA ShooterMedic816
Appleseeds Attended:
Bates City, MO April 2-3, 2011

Old Dog

It is your rifle.  If it was mine I most likely wouldn't be drilling holes in the stock/fore end to mount QD swivels/posts.

Not sure how it will do even with the hasty sling (the way the front attachment point is out on the end of a piece of wood separate from the butt stock, and on the side as well).

Have you shot it rapid fire before?  Looking at that fore end and handguard design I believe I'd also bring a good leather (or heat resistant material) glove for the support hand.  Yes, an AR15 has slots in the handguard up front but the good ones also have heat shields inside the plastic/polymer hand guard.

If you do the cable tie thing be sure you get them in a spot where they won't contact the barrel or gas tube.  I'm not sure how heat resistant those plastic cable ties are or how hot the gas tube will get.  An M1A barrel (7.62X51 which power and most likely heat generation will be similar to your 7.62X54 round) will get up around 280 F after a quick 10 or 20 fairly quick shots during an AQT.

Not trying to persuade you not to use it, just be sure you have the bases covered so your learning experience isn't compromised by rifle issues.  Try to get Nickle's attention/advice.  Seems I've heard him talk about rifles like yours more than anyone else here.  See what he recommends for preparations.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

wcmartin1

Nice rifle, Sir.

I've an SKS that has the same sling attachment point on the side of the barrel - I just use a hasty sling and it works well enough, but as the others mentioned - bring some heavy-duty zip ties so you can mount your web sling.

By all means bring it and see how you do.  It definitely looks fun to shoot.

However, you may find that your scope is mounted too high for a proper cheek weld during position shooting (edit: and not far enough forward to prevent "scope eye") in its current configuration.  Be prepared with something to temporarily build up your stock comb (edit:  or move it forward in it's mount) should this prove to be the case.

Git-R-Done!   :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Restless

And there are never any dumb questions!

See ya at Osage!
"We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies

cmidkiff

Hasty will work fine for the shoot.

Long term, there are several solutions worth looking at.  I have a PTR91 that has a very similar sling setup.  I ended up mounting a front swivel from an M14 to the aluminum forend, and setting a quick detatch stud in the plastic buttstock with epoxy.  It's been a reliable permamanet solution, and wasn't terribly difficult. 

See you at Osage!

cthulhufan

Excellent info, thanks again, everyone!

I think I will plan on hasty then and have some nylon ties and my spare web sling for a backup plan.

She is a lot of fun to shoot but I can't say I've really done any rapid fire.  During a normal shoot I will burn 30 - 50 rounds between target walks and the barrel gets very HOT.  I've never noticed the fore stock getting too warm but I usually shoot that rifle from a front bag or rest.  I might bring a leather work glove just in case.

Picked up a brick of .22 for the shoot today, would you say 300 rounds of 54R should have me covered on the second day?  As heavy as that PSL is, I might end up with the .22 again if I get fatigued.

cthulhufan

Quote from: wcmartin1 on April 07, 2011, 07:44:58 AM
Nice rifle, Sir.

I've an SKS that has the same sling attachment point on the side of the barrel - I just use a hasty sling and it works well enough, but as the others mentioned - bring some heavy-duty zip ties so you can mount your web sling.

By all means bring it and see how you do.  It definitely looks fun to shoot.

However, you may find that your scope is mounted too high for a proper cheek weld during position shooting (edit: and not far enough forward to prevent "scope eye") in its current configuration.  Be prepared with something to temporarily build up your stock comb (edit:  or move it forward in it's mount) should this prove to be the case.

Git-R-Done!   :---
Thanks :)  It is an absolute riot to shoot, it is loud and obnoxious and I usually walk away with a grin.  Indeed, I get more of a jaw weld when using the scope, I should try to find a cheek pad for it...