News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Bates City, MO - April 2-3, 2011

Started by MOGromit, April 04, 2011, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOGromit

Just a quick starter post to allow it to get rolling before work takes over for the week.

We had a total of 38 shooters on the line Saturday morning, which was very much appreciated after the pre-reg totals as of Wednesday only showed 13.  A few were repeat Appleseeders, but many were new to the program.

Greg In MO, Cookie Lady, Hector Fuego and I got them rolling after safety and the intro. 

Saturday closed up about 5:30 with some folks camping out on site.

Sunday was much windier, with some gusts up to around 40 or so all day long.  Not cold, just windy.  3 shooters showed up that weren't there on Saturday, but overall only about 21 were on the line.

A good group of Appleseeders, all weekend long.

Persist!

MOGromit

HectorFuego

Yes, the wind was wicked on Sunday.  I lost track of how many times we had to re-hang backers, and splice support wires.  We even had a "T" post shot in half by an M1A. :o  That's a first for me.  Fortunately we had another post, so repairing the line went smoothly.

My sympathies went to the shooters trying to print a 1" group on targets that were moving farther than that in every direction.  I know it must have been frustrating, but they hung in there, working on the fundamentals. 

To top in all off, it was HOT.  Add that to the wind, and staying hydrated was a challenge.  I went through 3 liters of water and should have had one or two more.

Hats off to the shooters who made it Sunday.  You showed real dedication. 

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." Wayne Gretzky
"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin." My late dad, a Mariine veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

AFTERMATH

Looks like Missouri had a great weekend all-arround!

O0
Great job!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

RBelew

Thanks again for a great appleseed.    Yeah it was windy but I would take that over rain any day.  My hats off to the instructors again,  great job.

I'm sure we will be back again hopefully with some co-workers and family, they don't know what they are missing.

Thanks

SebalLudington

It was a bit windy. I would say my hats off to ya'll, but you'd just think the wind blew it off! I figure a real rifleman can shoot no matter what the conditions, so I just kept shooting. I say figure, as the potatoes are still being peeled. I'm always gratified and amazed the instructors don't start to weep when I show up yet again on quest for the coveted rifleman's patch, but they just keep helping me put the puzzle pieces together. It was great to see the young shooters on the line too. It's therapeutic to be in the company of Patriots, thank you instructors for the donation of your time, talents and patience.  :bow: Oh, and thank you for letting me tell Sybil's story, I'm still smiling over that!

EEL

Y'all couldn't be in better hands than what you were this past weekend.  A good group of top notch instructors that are always willing to go the extra mile.

Glad you had a fun shoot.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

HectorFuego

Quote from: SebalLudington on April 05, 2011, 12:38:11 AM
It was a bit windy. I would say my hats off to ya'll, but you'd just think the wind blew it off! I figure a real rifleman can shoot no matter what the conditions, so I just kept shooting. I say figure, as the potatoes are still being peeled. I'm always gratified and amazed the instructors don't start to weep when I show up yet again on quest for the coveted rifleman's patch, but they just keep helping me put the puzzle pieces together. It was great to see the young shooters on the line too. It's therapeutic to be in the company of Patriots, thank you instructors for the donation of your time, talents and patience.  :bow: Oh, and thank you for letting me tell Sybil's story, I'm still smiling over that!
As long as they are safe, we instructors are delighted to see familiar faces on the line....and you are a safe shooter, soooo.  Well, do the math as they say.  As far as I am concerned, your presence on the line tells me you have learned a very important lesson.  Which is the power of persistence.  I look forward to seeing you again in October.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." Wayne Gretzky
"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin." My late dad, a Mariine veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Aurelius

Quote from: EEL on April 05, 2011, 12:45:29 AM
Y'all couldn't be in better hands than what you were this past weekend.  A good group of top notch instructors that are always willing to go the extra mile.

Absolutely, and amen!!!    It was an incredible 2 days.   

Not knowing how often it is recognized, I just wanted to make sure the 4 of you know how sincerely appreciative I am for the time, energy, and hard work the 4 of you provided to us that weekend.  That was exceptional commitment, and while I'm sure that all of the red & orange hats across the country do the same every weekend, I am still proud to say I now know you guys.  (Plan to attend again in October and will do my best to complete my assignment by bringing new folks.)  So THANK YOU all!!

And one additional bit of feedback / recognition I wanted to offer to you Mo G...

Not sure what you do for a living (i.e. if you make your living speaking, such as an attorney, etc.), but you are an exceptional orator, and wanted to specifically let you know that you were successfull in what you said you hoped to accomplish...  you have awoken a fellow citizen.  Thank you.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

MOGromit

Some pictures from the weekend courtesy of a participant who sent them to me for posting.

Persist!

MOGromit

MOGromit

Quote from: Aurelius on April 07, 2011, 02:57:01 AM

And one additional bit of feedback / recognition I wanted to offer to you Mo G...

Not sure what you do for a living (i.e. if you make your living speaking, such as an attorney, etc.), but you are an exceptional orator, and wanted to specifically let you know that you were successfull in what you said you hoped to accomplish...  you have awoken a fellow citizen.  Thank you.

Once a teacher, always a teacher, no matter where the path takes me.

Glad to hear that there's another American getting off the couch.  Be sure to wake up all who you know.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge..." 

We have plenty of knowledge to share :)

Persist!

MOGromit