News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atterbury, Sunday April 17th, 2011. MORE INFO

Started by Bill 3, April 03, 2011, 06:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill 3

Preparation for Atterbury. 

Start here then I'll focus on specifics after.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

1 - Start time - Checkin is at 7:30AM EDT.  For those in most of Indiana, this is 7:30.  For those in the Central time zone, it's 6:30 CDT.  Safety briefing is at 8:00 sharp.  We will not wait to get started.  The day will be long and we can't afford to lose time here.  The plan is to get a first KD AQT in with review and a second straight through for everyone.  This means that there will be 4 AQT's done as half will be in the pits while the other half is shooting. Time permitting, we will shoot at 500yds as well(AQT goes to 400yds).

2 - Camp Atterbury firearms policy - No firearms.  An exception is made for civilians for the firearms to be used on the range for an event.

3 - Centerfire Rifle, Zeroed - If you are not using your centerfire for Saturday, please make an effort to get a known zero prior to attending.  25m or 200yds preferred but any known zero will work.

4 - 140 rounds of ammunition - Make sure it is all the same as what was used to zero.  For those with AR's, heavier is better.  62gr vs. 55gr, 75gr vs 62gr, etc...

5 - The elements - The range being used is not sheltered in any way.  If it's sunny, you will be out in the sun.  If raining, you'll be out in the rain.  Bring what's appropriate for you and bring cover for your rifle if rain is expected. Layered clothing is best so that you can adjust to the changing temps.  Events are not cancelled due to the weather(exception with extreme weather only. i.e. - tornado, severe storm/lightning).  Do not bring portable shelter as the firing line will be moving frequently.

6 - Additional items:

> Shooting mat.
    > Sling.
    > Notebook and pencil/pen.
    > High powered binoculars or spotting scope. Will be used during sight in for each distance.  We understand that not everyone has these.  Some should be available to share.
    > At least 2 magazines. Round count on each string will be 10 not including sighters but transistion stages require a mag swap.  Internal mag bolt guns will have to reload within time constraints.
    > A cart or other wheeled appliance for transporting gear is advised.
    > **Eyes and Ears**  Eye and Ear protection is NOT an option.

7 - Sign Up - Remember, you need to have signed up for the entire weekend at another location(unless attending Indianapolis, then you must sign up for Atterbury as well via eventbrite.  See Appleseed schedule).  ALSO, YOU MUST HAVE SENT YOUR INFORMATION(name, address as appears on your ID) TO YELLOWHOUSEJAKE PRIOR TO APRIL 11th.

8 - Hydration - make sure to bring enough water/gatorade/etc.. to stay hydrated.  It might be cool out being early in the year but the wind can take it out of you faster than the heat.

9 - Food - There will be a designated time for lunch and history.  Please bring what food you need.  Leaving base for lunch is not the best option and we continue without anyone who is late returning from lunch.  If everyone brings food that can be eaten on the fly, all the better.

10 - From the gate to the range - See attached map.  Essentially, you continue through the cantonment area on the road you came in on.  You will come to a stop sign.  Continue south until you arrive at a T intersection.  The parking is on the left.  This is where checkin will occur.  A $10.00 range fee is required from each shooter attending.

If you have any questions, please contact me at wrw@hosley.com or call my cell at 708.878.4779.  Keep this number handy in case you have any questions in route once on the base.

Thank you - Bill 3
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?