News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed Rifle Safety Cadence?

Started by Brother_COM, April 03, 2011, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_COM

Greetings all! I attended an Appleseed Project Shoot in Clinton, IL last month. Just my son and I attended, but I liked it so much, I bought more rifles and now Big Momma, and all the kids are gonna come and shoot!

Here's my question: We learned (or at least we were supposed to... :-\ ) the rfle safety cedence. I wanted to teach it to my kids before we went to our next Appleseed shooting event, but I can't remember exactly how it went?

Correct me where I'm wrong but it went something like this: Bolts back, safety on, flag in.... and something else about the muzzle but I can't remember! Somebody help me out here, k?  ++)

Thanks,
Glen in Lincoln, IL

Frontsight

Magazine out, bolt locked back, safety on, chamber flag inserted, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, noone touching the rifle.

Rimshot

Appleseed can be a bit like potato chips - you can't stop at just one! ++) You have pieces of two separate safety cadences there, the six steps to making a rifle safe and the four safety rules.  The six steps are, in this order:

Magazines out
Bolts locked back
Safties on
Chamber flags in
Rifle grounded
No one touching the rifle

Usually these are abbreviated for cadence purpose (mags out, bolts back, etc). Also of high value for the young uns is the four overall safety rules:

Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction
Do not load until given the load command
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
Make sure those around you are following the safety rules

Edit: Frontsight beat me to it.  Those blasted orange hats are on the ball O0
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

Brother_COM

Excellent! Let me see if I got this:
Mag out;
Bolt back;
Safety on;
Flag in!  ^:)^

Yes!
Thanks guys! Either of you in Illinois?

Thanks again,
Glen

mtbrass

Don't know if they are in Illinois but I am. Glad you made it to the shoot, glad you enjoyed it and will return and bring others with you.  Also, glad to see you made it to here on the Board and got an answer to your question.  Welcome. Hope to see you on the trail.  O0

Garand69

Quote from: Brother_COM on April 03, 2011, 06:19:58 PM
Excellent! Let me see if I got this:
Mag out;
Bolt back;
Safety on;
Flag in!  ^:)^

Yes!
Thanks guys! Either of you in Illinois?

Thanks again,
Glen

Welcome aboard Glen, glad you had a great time and plan on bringing the whole Family out again.  O0

You have it right, though we sing it in the plural sense...

.....Mags out -
Bolts Back-
Safeties On-
Flags In.....

See you on the trail O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Ewald

Hey Bother_COM, good to see you! I enjoyed shooting with you at Cliton. We missed you guys on Sunday.

This video is from Waterman about a year ago. I've forgotten who it is, but it does inspire one to learn the cadence.  ::)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EZLbKJGJVPeHkQf2gXqk8g?feat=directlink

Brother_COM

Ewald, I was glad you got your patch Saturday! Man, that was good shootin! :~ I got sorta worn out by the end of the day and didn't even shoot as well as I did when we started that morning! %) too much coffee??? That or the guys twisted my sight 26 clicks when we went in for lunch (Conspiracy theory.) I'll try harder next time!

Thanks for the video.

Glen