News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Charlotte, NC March 26-27

Started by Lawrence, March 31, 2011, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Forecast for Charlotte, NC Appleseed March 26-27 should have read: Following several days of sunny, warm and summer like weather, morning Redcoats will begin under cool temperatures and threatening clouds. By the second square, NPOA shifts will be practiced under a cold and steady rain. Rain and temperatures will continue to fall becoming colder and wetter until students are chilled and soaked. Afternoon: More of the same.........

Nine out of twelve pre registered students arrived despite the rainy forecast. Unfortunately, the wonderful weather of the previous days deceived everyone into dressing for spring showers instead of hypothermic cold. By the fifth square, our crew was much in need of dry cloths and a hot meal. Two of our ladies were too chilled to continue and advised us that they would not be returning for the afternoon.

Since our host's clubhouse was being used for a new members orientation we scheduled the first strike following lunch when the clubhouse would be free and we could also cover the additional positions and transitions for the Greencoats indoors. Club officers kindly allowed us to transfer our target line to a covered pistol range, so the remainder of the day proceeded quite normally. We were able to complete an AQT but the target backers were melting and the students were to soggy to finish with our traditional Redcoat.

Sunday began with a thorough review of safety procedures and the previous days lessons by NeilR and HeavyCav. By the time the target line was in place, the drizzle had stopped and although colder, the day was free of rain and all further instruction proceeded without deviation.

Our first AQT of the day brought our first Rifleman. Don, a friend of HeavyCav earned his patch at his first Appleseed, his second ever AQT, and with my loaner LTR. Originally he had not planned to shoot, but came to help his children, Melody and Nathan, learn rifelry. We were impressed. Ross, our only previous Appleseeder (Ramseur) was next to earn his patch, followed by his sister Rebekah (the "Protector") who also won the star target competition. It was a great day!

All of our students came to us from the recruiting efforts of the dedicated. NeilR brought two of his fellow club members from the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club. HeavyCav brought two members and family from his Liberty organization. Ross brought his brother and sister. We encourage and hope that each and everyone will continue their involvement with Appleseed in the future.

A special thanks to the gracious range staff and the beautiful Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. We all look forward to you next event at you fine facility.

Pictures to follow......

Lawrence

Photos

dalex

Thank you Lawrence, Jimmy, and Neil, for the great (if soggy) weekend training. The kids had a ball, and will definitely want to attend another Appleseed later this year. (I'll be better prepared next time, with ground mats, cleaning supplies, and a LOT more ammo...)

I now understand why Appleseed training gets rave reviews. Everybody learns new things -- even the old hands. I was really fortunate to use Lawrence's LTR (Liberty Training Rifle) -- the sights were dead-on, and the trigger was smooth. I've never liked iron sights very much, but now I understand what you can do with them, after proper training. I feel honored to have earned that Rifleman patch, because the drills showed (very clearly, sometimes even painfully) how little I knew about good shooting. I have a LOT of improving to do, but I'm confident that I can build on the skills we were taught, and shoot a much better AQT at our next event.

Our thanks to everyone (especially our Red Hat) for their encouragement and generosity!
    -- Don, Melody, and Nathan