News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Poolville, TX March 26-27, 2011

Started by starfox, March 28, 2011, 04:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfox

The inaugural event at Parker County Sportsman Club was a rousing success.  We had a total of 15 shooters on the line on Saturday despite having only 5 pre-registers.   It was a challenging group of shooters for the three instructors as we had the entire range of experience level represented on the line.  However all the shooters were very engaged and took instruction very well.  There was a marked improvement on the Redcoat target by the end of the day Saturday.

Also, on the lone AQT shot on Saturday, we had our first Rifleman in a returning Appleseeder Bill.  His last shoot was at Midland over a year ago!  Huzzah!!  ^:)^

We also had a wonderful lady Tammy who had never shot or handled a rifle before.  Under SNAITF's excellent instruction on Sat, and going through about three different loaner rifles to find a good fit,  she managed to shoot good groups by the final Redcoat.  By the time she left on Saturday after having DoubleLL work with her, she was going through the AQT like a champ and her shooting was impressive for a first-timer!  Tammy definitely had the Rifleman's spirit!!  O0

Also showing the spirit of the Rifleman was charles_w's father who stuck it out all Saturday doing all the transitions and positions.  Definitely showing the spirit of the Alarm List!

During the AQT grind, everyone's scores were steadily advancing and we produced another Rifleman in Trevor!  Congratulations!

Parker County Sportsman Club is a great range and is in a great area near the Metroplex, we hope to be invited back.  Special thanks to charles_w for working to get us this range!

DoubleLL and I would also like to specially thank SNAITF for making the trek up here from Houston to work the event!!   This was a challenging event for a three instructor crew (DoubleLL was 7th stepping with the DIVAs on Saturday, and charles_w had church commitments Sunday morning)  O0
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

aggie

And a hearty thanks to all of the instructors who helped us improve our marksmanship.  Perseverance is a virtue, and some of us are forced to practice it a little more that we would like. A Rifleman score does not come as naturally for some of us, but that is what forces us to persevere and helps build our character.

I don't know about anyone else, but I also like the stories - the Three Strikes and especially about "Dangerous Old Men" and "Dangerous Old Women."

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Man, what a nice range and group of shooters at Poolville, TX.

At first I thought starfox, charles_w and doubleLL may not need my help with only 5 preregistered shooters, but word had gotten out about the event and swelled our numbers to 15 by the time the shoot began. I had fun working with instructors and shooter alike. We all worked through many challenges.

Saturday on the line there was definitely a wide range of experience levels and a variety of .22 LR action types, including one lever action .22lr. It was a pleasure to get reacquainted with Bill who had shot at two prior events I had worked. There were a number of teenage shooters brought by a man who was strangely familiar to me. **

Saturday afternoon we had two young lady shooters arrive after lunch break. Starfox had me give them a safety briefing and then get them on the line. Megan had apparently never shot a rifle before, but Rachel had apparently made Rifleman sometime in the past. Megan really caught on quick. The fact that she mastered locking the bolt back/releasing the bolt on the Ruger 10/22 was especially impressive.

We only had time for  one AQT on Saturday, but were rewarded with a Rifleman Score by Bill aka aggie! Congrats Bill!

Sunday most of the shooters returned and two new shooters Wayne and Maggie joined us. They had each been to prior AS events.

Link to the AR15 malfunction experienced by shooter Wayne on Sunday.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21760.msg169789;topicseen#msg169789

Saturday

Getting started

First Strike

Bill - our first Rifleman of the weekend. He definitely persisted. This was not his first Appleseed and for some reason so far he only comes to ones I instruct at. Neither one of us planned it that way.

Sunday

Green Coat NPOA drill

Another proud Rifleman Sunday

I thank charles_w for the effort he spent getting this range online for AS. The Poolville range is very nice and membership is very inexpensive - WAY cheaper than gun club memberships cost in my area. Hopefully we will have another Appleseed at this range in the near future.

** Footnote - the man who was familiar to me had brought about 20 young shooters to a  Davilla, TX AS in November 2007 - the very first Appleseed I instructed at. Rachel and I compared notes on Sunday and she confirmed she had been one of those young shooters. I'd like to thank him (Mr. Welch, I think...) for continuing this habit of getting young folks to come to Appleseed events.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

POP

Ya did good, Charles.
Looks like Poolville will become a popular venue.
Congrats to the shooters and the new Rifleman, and to Starfox who always does a great job.   And, SNAITF, you surprised me going all that way from Houston just for the weekend.  Your steady hand at events is always appreciated. 

Great pics.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)