News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Promo Opportunity: 4th Fridays in Westerville, Ohio!

Started by HippieChick, March 28, 2011, 08:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HippieChick

Hello Buckeye 'seeders! As a new member of Applecore having the love for Appleseed, promo and marketing, I have an awesome promo opportunity to announce!
Westerville, Ohio has a once-monthly street fair/festival every 4th Friday running from April-September. The first will be held April 29.  Booth space will be secured (hopefully) by the end of this week. We will have a 10x10 space WITH electricity!! ^:)^
We will be in need of a few things:
1.) VOLUNTEERS!!!
2.) Promo banners and other material
3.)A pop-up tent that could be loaned out for use during the fairs as this thing goes on rain or shine
If anyone can help or donate, please let myself or Nurse Ratchett know. Nurse Ratchett has committed to be there for each event BUT she will need help! I will be in a booth for my business and am hoping to have it next door to the Appleseed space to help as much as I can.
This is a great opportunity to reach a population whose majority has never heard of us! It's time to get steppin'  :cool2:
Frogger

slim

Way to go, Frogger!

Now, Ohio, it's up to YOU to support this thing. Come on out and lend a hand.  O0 (Or a big thumb!)

Ratchett

:sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos:

Ohio Volunteers,

This is an advanced call for help to man the 4th Fridays booth in Westerville, Ohio on Friday April 29. I will not be able to attend this event as I will be in Pittsburgh for the Appleseed booth at the NRA Convention. Frogger cannot do both booths by herself. Please check your schedules and offer assistance for this great opportunity to reach an area that does not know about Appleseed.

PM Frogger or me to volunteer 3 hours of your time for a great 7th stepping event....one of those "other 28 days" Fred encourages O0
We can schedule a gazillion shoots but if we do not get out and recruit folks to fill those lines we will be talking to ourselves!!!

Keeping the Faith...

In His Grip,
Ratchett

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

HippieChick

Alright folks, the booth HAS BEEN RESERVED!!!

:sos: We now need volunteers to fill the spaces. The dates are: April 29, May 27, June 24, July 22, August 26 and September 23. The time is 6-9pm (but will require extra time before and afterward for set up and take down). Ratchett has committed to being at EVERY event, but cannot make the April 29th because she'll be out on the trail promoting Appleseed at another show. The booth is in a super-high traffic area close to area little league booths and another history booth...this opportunity is HUGE I know giving up a Friday evening sucks, but the cause is great and, quite frankly, our country needs all the help it can get-regardless of the day! :sos:
This is a serious call to action for any Appleseeder's in the Columbus area. The ONLY people I have heard from are 2+ hours away...I know you're all busy, but lets step up and get this thing staffed and get the word out! O0
PM me, Ratchett or Slim if you can attend any (or all!) of these events.

MeanStreaker

Thank you so much to Frogger and everyone for this great opportunity!

Folks, this is such a great way to further our Mission and I hope many hands can make light work.  If you've been to an Appleseed, or even just know what we're about, here is the perfect avenue for helping to get more Americans to the line.

Maybe you've been looking for that task that best suits you.  Maybe you aren't able to be an Instructor or do much on weekends.

This is for you!  :)
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Corvette

Frogger, I am in Columbus and can help with some of your needs for the event on the 29th.  When you talk about a popup tent I suspect you are really talking about one of the sun shades that you can put over the table.  I have one that could be available.  Picture is attached.  Also, have a daughter in school at Otterbein in Westerville so I will pitch a Father/Daughter event and try to cover a few hours together at the table.  Email me at srb@teamsol.com and we can coordinate.  STEVE
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

HippieChick

Corvette, that's exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks for stepping up, and we'd love to have your daughter help out as well! Email inbound with details  O0

HippieChick

I'd like to send a big "thank you" out to Despree, his wife, Corvette aaaaaaand I feel like an idiot because I forget Corvette's friend's name. Anyway, THANK YOU for coming out this evening and manning the Appleseed booth! Attendance was a little lighter than expected-I think our location and the cool temperatures may have had something to do with this. But from what I could see, it seemed as if quite a bit of information was handed out and more than a few conversations had with attendees. If we've sparked an interest in even one person I consider that a success. Thank you all again and I hope to see you again soon!

PS to those of you who were unable to help with tonight's event, don't worry! We'll be at every single Fourth Friday from now to September, you all have plenty of time to get in on the promo action! Just contact me or Ratchett. Let's get steppin' folks  :cool2:
Frogger

Ratchett

THANK YOU everyone for making 4th Friday a success!!! I appreciate each of you for getting the word out. Hopefully, I will get to work with each of you at some point this summer.

NRA Convention is going well!!!

Stay strong and keep the Faith...

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

HippieChick

Hey Folks!
Well, I've been left in a bit of a lurch, but I'm really hoping it will be a non-issue in the next couple of weeks.
So here's the deal: Due to a lack of staffing for shoots in May-and honestly a big lack of staffing for shoots all Summer long-it looks like Ratchett is faced with 1 of 2 choices for this month's Fourth Friday event.

Number 1: She drives 2 hours to Westerville to set up, man (for 3 hours) and tear down the booth then gets on the road to SB the New Philly shoot. Or number 2: She doesn't attend the Fourth Friday event so that she can get to the New Philly shoot at a reasonable time and help with set up.

Now it doesn't matter much to me either way, but I know that should she have to miss the Fourth Friday event it'd stick in her crawl more than a little; she hates backing down on commitments she's already made, but at the same time she has a responsibility to make sure all shoots are staffed adequately.
So, are you wondering how you can help? I'm sure glad you asked. You also have 2 choices! Well, technically 3, but here they are.
1. Sign up to staff a shoot! Orange hats, red hats, green hats, whatever, YOU ARE NEEDED! I realize gas prices suck and work sucks and a whole lot of stuff that keeps you busy sucks, but we REALLY REALLY need you all on the line!
2. Sign up to attend Fourth Friday's! Ask Corvette or Despree, it really wasn't that bad! In fact, I'd venture to guess, judging from Corvette's dance moves, and the laughs we had at dinner, that we all had a pretty fine time. This is a great opportunity for those of us without the appropriate colored hats needed run the line, to dig deeper and get a little more involved. 4 hours of 1 Friday a month for the next 5 months is all I'm asking (I feel like a National Guard recruiter here). If we get enough people to help, it would be even less than that!
And I guess this brings me to option 3: Don't do either. Clearly I can't make anyone do anything nor do I wish to. All I can hope is you'll really work hard to find some time to man the booth or man the line. I also know a lot of you are working your buns off with AS and for that I am grateful! This, however, is directed more towards the folks we haven't seen in awhile or for those that pop up at a shoot every now and again, but want to do a little more. To those folks: you are needed! We'd like for you all to get back in the game!

Stepping down from the soapbox, now. To those of you who are constantly pounding the AS trail, thank you! Hope y'all have a great, and dry, weekend!
I'll be seein' ya,
Frogger

Ratchett

Hi OHIO!!!

I have to apologize to everyone. When I reserved the 4th Fridays booth in Westerville, I did not look at the shoot schedule and realize that the first 3 4th Fridays were all ready commited to shoots.

I will have to be in New Philly on the evening of the 27th, no way around it. The June 4th Friday as well because I committed to helping NY out with their Ladyseed and will not be available June 24th.

If any of you are able to make either of these dates to man the booth, it would be absolutely awesome!! I will make sure all flyers & pop-up will be there---Thank you Frogger.

Please let us know if you can man the booth...foregoing a 7th step opportunity is really not an option!

In His Grip,
Ratchett

para45acp

If you all don't mind, I am going to post your request for help to the BFA forums. We have a lot of people in the the area there, and many who are regular table tenders at our gun show booths. I'm sure any volunteer could be quickly brought up to speed if there is at least one Appleseeder there to guide them. Maybe it will get somebody motivated enough to attend their first shoot  O0 
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

HippieChick

Perfect :) I am always literally 1.5 feet away from the Appleseed booth tending to my business' booth, so if anyone gets tripped up with a question, has to go find food, go to the restroom, whatever, I can cover, but I just cannot cover both full time! Thanks for the help and hopefully this will drum-up volunteers!

para45acp

Looks like I might have a couple people to send your way already ^-^
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Ratchett

Hey Para!!

Thanks for stepping up and helping out.  O0  Appreciate it very much and I know Frogger does too!

Ratchett

HippieChick

Yes, thank you! I spoke with a fellow this morning and gave him the run down on what's going on. PM just sent your way as well, Para. Thanks again for stepping up!

para45acp

I posted a thank you on our site...and a request for some more peeps. We'll see! Maybe I can make it to one of those dates, and bring Harley along. It's hard with my busy shedule... :wall:

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

HippieChick

Awesome :) Thanks for thanking them! I received another email this morning from a guy who has been interested in Appleseed for awhile, but has never gotten around to it. He requested info about how to help out with Fourth Friday and how to become involved with Appleseed-PERFECT!  O0

HippieChick

Folks,
I've had two emails from potential volunteers from the BFA forums and zero volunteers (though a couple of regrets due to schedule conflicts) through Appleseed for next week's Fourth Friday event. I hate to be a pain and I don't want this to sound negative, but here we are relying on folks, who have nothing to do with Appleseed, to promote Appleseed. Seems more than a little odd to me. Again, I understand people have busy lives, but I also think that someone, somewhere in the Columbus area must have an hour or two to spare. If you're in the vicinity and have a bit of time to spare please let me know. We have four more of these events to staff through September and I have no confirmed volunteers for any of them. The dates are as follows: May 27, June 24, July 22, August 26 and September 23. All events are Fridays from 6-9pm. They're free, free parking and really requires little effort whatsoever. Show up (that's literally the hardest part) and tell people about Project Appleseed and how important it is. That's it. Oh, and wear an AS shirt if you have one.
And again, thank you to Para45acp for posting our call for help on the BFA forums.
Thanks, Bekka

para45acp

No problem Bekka, hopefully those two work out! I know I can't help May or June...Florida Sea Base with my boys the May date, and Summer Camp in June. Scouting takes up a bit of my time! Hopefully I will be able to make one of the later dates...

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

HippieChick

The second Fourth Friday event is under our belts! Our booth looked great this week, though I'm still working on some things to get it even better. Although I did not speak with any of the passersby, from what I hear from FiremanBill and our other volunteer, people were pretty receptive to our message! We even had the band promoting us from the stage a couple of times during their set (they had no idea what Appleseed was, but said it sounded fun and told people to go check it out). Fireman Bill took them some fliers/brochures during a break in their set to hopefully get them interested!
We're looking forward to next month and HOPE we can see some of you all out there with us :) Have a great Memorial Day 'seeders and don't forget WHY you have a 3 day weekend!
Frogger

Gordon

Pencil me in for 24-June. Not sure if I can make but I think so, and I'll try.

Edit 6/13/2011: Frooger what's the status on this? Count me in, if the thing is still a go.

Gordon

Emphases added in the following quotes:

Quote from: Frogger on March 28, 2011, 08:37:35 PM
As a new member of Applecore having the love for Appleseed, promo and marketing, I have an awesome promo opportunity to announce!
Westerville, Ohio has a once-monthly street fair/festival every 4th Friday running from April-September.

... Nurse Ratchett has committed to be there for each event BUT she will need help! I will be in a booth for my business and am hoping to have it next door to the Appleseed space to help as much as I can.
This is a great opportunity to reach a population whose majority has never heard of us! It's time to get steppin'  :cool2:
Frogger

Quote from: Ratchett on March 30, 2011, 09:14:48 AM
Frogger cannot do both booths by herself. Please check your schedules and offer assistance for this great opportunity to reach an area that does not know about Appleseed.

PM Frogger or me to volunteer 3 hours of your time for a great 7th stepping event....one of those "other 28 days" Fred encourages O0
We can schedule a gazillion shoots but if we do not get out and recruit folks to fill those lines we will be talking to ourselves!!!

Quote from: Frogger on April 05, 2011, 02:08:24 PM

:sos: We now need volunteers to fill the spaces. ... The time is 6-9pm (but will require extra time before and afterward for set up and take down).
The booth is in a super-high traffic area close to area little league booths and another history booth...this opportunity is HUGE

This is a serious call to action for any Appleseeder's in the Columbus area. The ONLY people I have heard from are 2+ hours away

Quote from: Frogger on May 07, 2011, 09:39:02 AM
Well, I've been left in a bit of a lurch, but I'm really hoping it will be a non-issue in the next couple of weeks.
So here's the deal: Due to a lack of staffing for shoots in May-and honestly a big lack of staffing for shoots all Summer long-it looks like Ratchett is faced with 1 of 2 choices for this month's Fourth Friday event.
Number 1: She drives 2 hours to Westerville to set up, man (for 3 hours) and tear down the booth then gets on the road to SB the New Philly shoot. Or number 2: She doesn't attend the Fourth Friday event so that she can get to the New Philly shoot at a reasonable time and help with set up.

You also have 2 choices! Well, technically 3, but here they are.
1. Sign up to staff a shoot! Orange hats, red hats, green hats, whatever, YOU ARE NEEDED! I realize gas prices suck and work sucks and a whole lot of stuff that keeps you busy sucks, but we REALLY REALLY need you all on the line!
2. Sign up to attend Fourth Friday's!

Quote from: Ratchett on May 09, 2011, 01:58:56 AM
I have to apologize to everyone. When I reserved the 4th Fridays booth in Westerville, I did not look at the shoot schedule and realize that the first 3 4th Fridays were all ready commited to shoots.
Ratchett, IMHO you of all people need not apologize!

Quote from: Frogger on May 17, 2011, 07:19:50 PM
Folks,
I've had two emails from potential volunteers from the BFA forums and zero volunteers (though a couple of regrets due to schedule conflicts) through Appleseed for next week's Fourth Friday event. I hate to be a pain and I don't want this to sound negative, but here we are relying on folks, who have nothing to do with Appleseed, to promote Appleseed. Seems more than a little odd to me.
We have four more of these events to staff through September and I have no confirmed volunteers for any of them.
... They're free, free parking and really requires little effort whatsoever. Show up (that's literally the hardest part) and tell people about Project Appleseed and how important it is. That's it.

Wow. All you gotta do is show up and talk about Appleseed? And from all of the famous Ohio Appleseed Cadre we've got a total of --- what was that number? --- zero volunteers confirmed for any of the future events?. Oooo-Kay ....

Quote from: Frogger on May 28, 2011, 02:36:40 AM
The second Fourth Friday event is under our belts! Our booth looked great this week, though I'm still working on some things to get it even better. Although I did not speak with any of the passersby, from what I hear from FiremanBill and our other volunteer, people were pretty receptive to our message! We even had the band promoting us from the stage a couple of times during their set
We're looking forward to next month and HOPE we can see some of you all ...

Frogger, so, you're saying this endeavor is effective? Great!

OK, let me see if I have this straight. Frogger has taken the lead on a systematic, summer-long promotional opportunity. She's made all the arrangements, we've got people to make fliers, provide pop-ups, we have electricity, wonderful. We've even got non-Appleseed people in various ways willing to help. But for June thru September, we've got no Instructors (whatever color the hat) confirmed to help Bekka on this?

Folks, we're running shoots with student/instructor ratio often about 2/1, in some events we've even more Insructors than students.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

As Frogger says, all you've got to do is show up and talk about Appleseed for three hours. As Ratchett says, if we don't fill the lines then we're just talking to ourselves.

Can anyone lend a hand on this?

Anwalt

Coupla Tings:

1)  Showed up for our first Appleseed in Zanesville last weekend.  Needless to say, we were quite impressed with the instruction, history and especially the quality of both the staff and the attendees - just great people, all around.  I will make a more detailed post in the next few days.

2)  We are very civically involved and insanely busy (small business, Boy Scouts, sports, etc, you know the drill), including a run for School Board in Worthington, soon to be made public.  Nonetheless, we think we can help.  I will talk to Boss Lady, but I think we can do June 24th and perhaps once a month thereafter, with scheduling to be a bit ad hoc.  The kids loved it and will make great ambassadors.

3)  For those who took pictures at the event with images of us (family of five, Latin extraction, far right of the firing line), if you can send via email, we will make a collage to help show what we did and create talking points. Email = johnhyre@ameritech.net.

John Hyre

"An act that is inherently evil does not become moral simply because there's a majority consensus." - Dr. Walter E. Williams

KAH

John:
I got a few good photos of your family.  I sent an e-mail with them attached.  Please let me know if you do not receive them.

Thanks again for bringing your incredible family and spending a weekend with us.  I'll look forward to seeing you "on the Trail" at future events!

take care,
kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Dougum

Quote from: Gordon on June 13, 2011, 11:19:16 PM
Emphases added in the following quotes:

As a new member of Applecore having the love for Appleseed, promo and marketing, I have an awesome promo opportunity to announce!
Westerville, Ohio has a once-monthly street fair/festival every 4th Friday running from April-September.

... Nurse Ratchett has committed to be there for each event BUT she will need help! I will be in a booth for my business and am hoping to have it next door to the Appleseed space to help as much as I can.
Frogger

Quote from: Ratchett on March 30, 2011, 09:14:48 AM
Frogger cannot do both booths by herself. Please check your schedules and offer assistance for this great opportunity to reach an area that does not know about Appleseed.

Quote from: Frogger on April 05, 2011, 02:08:24 PM

:sos: We now need volunteers to fill the spaces. ... The time is 6-9pm (but will require extra time before and afterward for set up and take down).
The booth is in a super-high traffic area close to area little league booths and another history booth...this opportunity is HUGE

This is a serious call to action for any Appleseeder's in the Columbus area. The ONLY people I have heard from are 2+ hours away

Quote from: Frogger on May 07, 2011, 09:39:02 AM

You also have 2 choices! Well, technically 3, but here they are.
2. Sign up to attend Fourth Friday's!

Quote from: Ratchett on May 09, 2011, 01:58:56 AM
Ratchett, IMHO you of all people need not apologize!

Quote from: Frogger on May 17, 2011, 07:19:50 PM
Folks,
I've had two emails from potential volunteers from the BFA forums and zero volunteers (though a couple of regrets due to schedule conflicts) through Appleseed for next week's Fourth Friday event. I hate to be a pain and I don't want this to sound negative, but here we are relying on folks, who have nothing to do with Appleseed, to promote Appleseed. Seems more than a little odd to me.
We have four more of these events to staff through September and I have no confirmed volunteers for any of them.
... They're free, free parking and really requires little effort whatsoever. Show up (that's literally the hardest part) and tell people about Project Appleseed and how important it is. That's it.

Wow. All you gotta do is show up and talk about Appleseed? And from all of the famous Ohio Appleseed Cadre we've got a total of --- what was that number? --- zero volunteers confirmed for any of the future events?. Oooo-Kay ....

Quote from: Frogger on May 28, 2011, 02:36:40 AM
The second Fourth Friday event is under our belts! Our booth looked great this week, though I'm still working on some things to get it even better. Although I did not speak with any of the passersby, from what I hear from FiremanBill and our other volunteer, people were pretty receptive to our message! We even had the band promoting us from the stage a couple of times during their set
We're looking forward to next month and HOPE we can see some of you all ...

Frogger, so, you're saying this endeavor is effective? Great!

OK, let me see if I have this straight. Frogger has taken the lead on a systematic, summer-long promotional opportunity. She's made all the arrangements, we've got people to make fliers, provide pop-ups, we have electricity, wonderful. We've even got non-Appleseed people in various ways willing to help. But for June thru September, we've got no Instructors (whatever color the hat) confirmed to help Bekka on this?

Folks, we're running shoots with student/instructor ratio often about 2/1, in some events we've even more Insructors than students.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

As Frogger says, all you've got to do is show up and talk about Appleseed for three hours. As Ratchett says, if we don't fill the lines then we're just talking to ourselves.

Can anyone lend a hand on this?

I might be able to work in June and some of the other monthes all depends on getting a ride to westerville.

Doug :---
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

HippieChick

Awesome! Looking forward to seein' ya if you can swing it!
Now, all other folks who have previously mentioned possibly volunteering for June...are you in or out? Trying to put together our volunteer list and see how well we're staffed or how much I have to beg! Let me know ASAP as the event is next Friday! Thanks!!

Ratchett

Frogger,

You may get message from Anwalt, has an office in Westerville just down street from event site. Family of 5 to help promote. He and "She Who Makes the Rules" are checking their calendar. Great family with  Rifleman patches in their future!

Anwalt

Friday June 24th, 6pm-9pm, correct me if I have time wrong, we are in.  Will be 4 of us, eldest stinker is travelling that day.  We can come up with a July date then.  I assume all we need to do is show up and gab?

Also, KAH, thanks for the pics.  Will also look at (Mid)Western Rose's download for more.  It was great meeting you, you were unbelievably helpful in Zanesville.....though I must say, that seems to be the norm for Appleseed Instructors.  In Lake Wobegone, all the children are above average....and in Appleseed, all of the instructors we've met really are!

Anwalt
"An act that is inherently evil does not become moral simply because there's a majority consensus." - Dr. Walter E. Williams

HippieChick

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much :-) That is exactly right, 6-9pm on June 24th. We're literally in the parking lot of the Emerald Bank. I have all the promo material, so it literally is a show up and talk event!
Ratchett, you're on the schedule to be there...are you going to be or will you be traveling?