News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Has anyone tried this approach to recruiting for Appleseeds?

Started by professor gun, March 20, 2011, 05:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor gun

VKF10/22 and I were talking today about recruiting for Appleseed; she mentioned it might be worthwhile to do presentations to local DAR chapters about the Appleseed Project, since the members all have children and grandchildren who might be interested in shooting.

Has anyone tried this yet?
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

professor gun

Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

hawkhavn

I have not tried the DAR yet but have given the SAR (Sons of the AR) a try.  No immediate success, but that just means I need to do it again (and again).
They are certainly on board with the message.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Old Glory!

Quote from: professor gun on March 20, 2011, 05:41:24 PM
VKF10/22 and I were talking today about recruiting for Appleseed; she mentioned it might be worthwhile to do presentations to local DAR chapters about the Appleseed Project, since the members all have children and grandchildren who might be interested in shooting.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks for volunteering.   **)   It would be very worthwhile to reach out to the DAR/SAR groups.  I communicated with the Madison chapter one time and they sent me a poster of their group, but I have not had the chance to do anything further with them.   :-[

Here is a letter that has already been drafted when RWVA was trying to do some mass e-mail communications with other groups.   You might find it helpful.  It would need to be edited as it was for a Nevada location.  Also anything involving price would need to be updated.  Or maybe you have another approach that could work as well.  

(EDITED:  a new and improved version with help from nyrasgt.  Thank you!)

Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution

(Suggested Subject Line:  A Program that Honors our Founding Generation comes to your area)

Honoring those that gave us this nation, and continuing our traditions of patriotism:  these are the goals of the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA) with our Appleseed Project.  Please see www.appleseedusa.org for more information about the RWVA and Appleseed Project.

Our Founding Fathers sacrificed much to enable us to live in the nation we have today. We, and future generations, owe an incalculable debt of gratitude to these men and women, who literally founded, and gave us, this country.   Acknowledging this responsibility, and beginning, BY EXAMPLE, to repay this debt is the aim of the Appleseed Project as conducted by the RWVA.

We conduct weekend rifle marksmanship clinics nationwide (over 1000 planned for 2011) to teach today's Americans the traditional rifle marksmanship skills that were common in our Founders' era.  During these Appleseed weekends, participants are treated to a program combining training in foundational marksmanship skills (for complete novice shooters as well as those having prior experience) with the history and heritage of that first day of the American Revolution, 19 April, 1775.  Our instructors tell participants not the dry, lifeless facts and dates of history, but rather the stories of the people who participated in, or were affected by, the day's events at Lexington and Concord.   Our hope is that when attendees learn about the real people who were there that fateful day, they will understand the tremendous debt of gratitude we all owe those men and women, and thus will have a greater comprehension of the essential obligation to preserve this American Heritage for future generations.

The Appleseed Clinics are $5 for youth under 21, $10 for women, and FREE for Military (active, retired, reserve, guard), elected officials, Law Enforcement Officers, and Revolutionary War Re-enactors who shoot in period dress.  All other tickets are at the low price of $70 for two days.   These clinics teach marksmanship with modern rifles, but stress an understanding and appreciation of the actions of the people who began the American Revolution.

The goals of the RWVA are very similar to those of the SAR and DAR.   Appleseed Clinics offer your members a venue to interact with people from your communities, to give them more details about the Revolutionary War Generation, after they have been treated to a very effective and unique message about those very men and women.  Participants at Appleseed Weekends leave with personal knowledge of the facts concerning the start of the American Revolution, not the myths.  They are introduced to  individual participants, by name, on both sides of the greens at Lexington and Concord, and along the Battle Road back to Boston, learning the personal stories of British colonists who became, that day, American patriots, and the British military, who opposed them.  This material is simply no longer taught in schools. 

We ask that you consider joining us at some of our Appleseed events.  Please see the nationwide Appleseed schedule of events at:   www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.html

It would be an honor to have you join us.  We ask that you consider helping spread the word about these events.  Appleseed events will draw people for the purpose of learning rifle marksmanship skills, and will send them home with a new-found respect for their Heritage, and better understanding of how unique, and courageous, the founders were, risking absolutely everything for the cause of American liberty.

Here is the site that answers many common questions, such as what rifle to bring, how much ammo to bring, what is an appropriate age of children to attend, and a list of what else to bring to your Appleseed event:  www.appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.htm

You are invited to join Appleseed Radio call in program on Thursday evenings, from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Central time, or you can download past shows.  You can call in and ask our Instructors questions or participate in the chat room and ask questions: www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio

If you have any further questions about the Appleseed events or program, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your time, dedication, and consideration,

The RWVA Volunteers

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Old Glory!

Hawk, Sometimes it takes a few tries before they will respond.   Followup is important.   I need to work on that.

nyrasgt has generously tweaked the wording in this  letter,  and could be used by any State that would like to reach out to their SAR/DAR, or for other historical groups for that matter.   

Vonnie, can you help us look for some DAR/SAR e-mail contacts near our WI/MN Appleseeds so that we could send this letter out?   Then maybe we could followup with a phone call.  Attend one of their meetings?  What do you think?

Another thought:  we could offer to send Instructors if they would be interested in having a speaker for one of their meetings. 

If anyone across the country is reading this and has had some experience with DAR/SAR, please feel free to chime in here. 
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Vee Kay

Old Glory,

I was a active member in the DAR before the boys were born, my mom is still a member of the chapter here in La Crosse.  I  know a few of the members and my mom still goes to meetings.  A speaker would be an excellent idea. I am sure that I can get some contact information for the letter.

Vonnie

Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

AuntieBellum

Quote from: hawkhavn on March 20, 2011, 06:07:42 PM
I have not tried the DAR yet but have given the SAR (Sons of the AR) a try.  No immediate success, but that just means I need to do it again (and again).
They are certainly on board with the message.

HH

Ya' know, we happen to have someone in Indiana whose SAR app has been submitted and just waiting final approval.  Once in, he might be able to help you out a little bit with following up on that.   O0

Edit: Just now finished reading the thread and noticed this is in the Wisconsin section.  Sorry to threadjack.  You know Rimshot and I will always have fond memories of our first 'seed in Wisconsin, though.   ;D
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Old Glory!

Oh Vonnie, that is cool!  So you are a DAR!   Maybe we could offer to do a special Woman's Appleseed for the DAR if we can stir up some interest.   Of course, they are welcome to come to ANY Appleseed ANY time.  But sometimes it works well to work with a group and set up something special for them......like the Diva's of Texas.....or the boy scouts......like that....

Hmmm Hawk, might that someone be someone who has replied in this thread?   ::)

OG

Old Glory!

Antibellum, you can hijack any WI thread you want.  ^-^ You know you are always welcome in WI. 

This thread just happens to be on the WI board, but it is a national idea.   

Sorry I misread your post as Hawks.   %)    So that someone might be Rimshot? 

professor gun

I would volunteer to be a speaker at one of the DAR meetings and would approach it in the following way:

1) If you go to any of our area high schools, choose students at random, and ask them what significance the date April 19, 1775 holds in American History, I suggest none could answer correctly.
2) If you ask the same students the significance of Lexington and Concord to our history I would suggest 10% may answer correctly, but then, I tend to be an optimist.
3) If you ask the same students who is the most recent winner on American Idol or the Biggest Loser, I suggest that about 80% could answer correctly.

Our kids are not learning our history, and they have no grasp of our American Heritage.

The Appleseed organization is working to change that.  Here is how:

Then proceed to explain the goals of Appleseed.

I would use powerpoints and many creative photos to get points across.

AuntieBellum

OG! - yep, I was talking about Rimshot.  He's at work right now, so I can spend the evening volunteering him for all sorts of stuff.   >:D
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot