News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Onalaska Omni Center Gun Show-7th Step Success

Started by Blue Five, March 19, 2011, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Five

Greetings fellow Appelseeders;

The Onalaska Gun Show is taking place the weekend, and Appleseed was lucky enough to get a table dedicated to the cause by Kosciusko when he showed up Friday afternoon.  Kosciusko worked the table the entire show Friday afternoon and said there were many interested people, especially in the upcoming La Crosse April 16-17 shoot.

Professor Gun and myself, and later vkf10/22, browningman and Kosciusko, worked the table the entire day.  Initially in the morning when I was on my own, there was little to no interest.  However, after 10 AM it seemed the table was swarmed by interested parties, and by noon our 70+ copies of the La Crosse April 16-17 Shoot fliers were gone.  There were a fair number of fathers who informed us that they were hoping to get their kids to an Appleseed, and a single female who seemed to seriously consider coming to the April shoot.

Thankfully Kosciusko showed up shortly after noon with pizza to refresh us along with a ton more La Crosse April fliers.  We also sold multiple slings and handed out green coats and red coats to interested parties, along with the provided Appleseed articles/info magazines we had.

Activity today died down after about 4pm, but we still went through many fliers and had many interested people.  It was great to see so many eager people wanting to get into Appleseed.  Had a military guy who said he might be able to get some of his active duty military friends to come to one of the La Crosse shoots.

I felt that today was an excellent success compared to the La Crosse gun show two months ago, and I am hoping that we will sell out the La Crosse show for April.  Might be a lot to hope for, but I think we reached a lot of people who said they'd be interested in coming to La Crosse in April.  I am already planning on getting an Appleseed Table at the next La Crosse/Onalaska gun show whenever that is scheduled. 

Many thanks to Kosciusko for showing up on Friday and getting that table for us!

And a picture of most of the 7th steppers, courtesy of browningman  O0

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

colycat

Excellent work guys and Gal O0  Really all this program needs is what you have done this weekend.  Do not forget about the huge Deer and Turkey show in Madison.  April 1, 2, and 3rd.  We can not have too a big of presence at this show.  Over 40,000 from all over the midwest will attend.  We have a new look for this show also.  Sign up somewhere around here, if only for a few hrs.  Admission is fee for instructors and volunteers working the booth.

See you there, and if we take advantage of this show, our lines will be filled for the rest of the year.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

professor gun

Many thanks to Kosciusko for getting the table and setting it up, I wish I could help out tomorrow too but have too much work to do to get ready for the week.  I was very encouraged at the interest in the Appleseed Project on the part of so many attending the gun show.

Most entertaining story I heard today:  Two young men around 25 stopped at the table and Blue Five and I were explaining the Appleseed Project to them.  One of them told us he was already an excellent shot with a rifle-he shoots walnuts out of the trees.  I was so astounded at this revelation I just sat there looking at him.  Later (of course) I wished I had asked him if he knew where his bullets were landing.  ::)

Most encouraging were all the parents we talked with who were interested in getting their kids to an Appleseed.  The junior shooters are our future.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

Blue Five

Thanks colycat, it was a great experience.

And yes, professor, that was pretty entertaining...I couldn't believe it when I heard that.  A couple of people did tell me they were already expert rifleman because they shoot a lot, but I just let it slide  **)

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Zak

Wow!  Job well done!  Congratulations everyone and nice photo too.

re: upcoming Madison show - as I understand it this is a key location and show. 

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Deacon

Quote from: professor gun on March 19, 2011, 08:11:58 PM

Most entertaining story I heard today:  Two young men around 25 stopped at the table and Blue Five and I were explaining the Appleseed Project to them.  One of them told us he was already an excellent shot with a rifle-he shoots walnuts out of the trees.

Sometimes a good response to that is since he is already an "expert" shot, well then we always need "expert shots" to become instructors to "pay it forward"!  We need his expertise on the line! :bow:

Good job guys, that area of the state is growing fast!

Deacon

Blue Five

Quote from: Deacon on March 20, 2011, 12:55:42 PM
Quote from: professor gun on March 19, 2011, 08:11:58 PM

Most entertaining story I heard today:  Two young men around 25 stopped at the table and Blue Five and I were explaining the Appleseed Project to them.  One of them told us he was already an excellent shot with a rifle-he shoots walnuts out of the trees.

Sometimes a good response to that is since he is already an "expert" shot, well then we always need "expert shots" to become instructors to "pay it forward"!  We need his expertise on the line! :bow:

Good job guys, that area of the state is growing fast!

Deacon

There were a couple guys that gave me that response whose occupation is firearms training, so I handed them an AQT and encouraged them to come to an Appleseed and shoot Rifleman and take a hat.  I mentioned that Appleseed is growing and more instructors are needed.  One gentlemen seemed particularly interested in that.

Thanks Deacon!  It sure is, I'm glad to see Appleseed taking off here.

Kosciusko

Sunday:

Handed out many, many tri-folds, flyers, RedCoats, and few AQTs to select individuals.  Lots of women and children.  I think we may have filled the line in La Crosse for April 16-17.  People were just stunned when I quoted the prices, $5, $10, "free".  Adult males were very responsive to the new Rifleman Opportunity Card.

Even handed out a Marshall flyer to somebody from over that way who happened to be in Onalaska for the weekend.

And a lost Californian from the LA basin as well. 

Got a Boy Scout troop leader interested, that was the second-best "get" of the weekend.

Best "get" happened in the last hour of the  show;  a fellow from the La Crosse ROTC who said he had 80 cadets and could we do something for them? 

I  told him if he could get 80 cadets  on the line in one place , we would pull instructors from 3 or 4 states to hold up our end.

I'm passing the contact info on to vmt193. 

Still managed to pick up some bargains   on ammo,  odds'n'ends'.    Oh, and special treat for yours truly, to be displayed at the next IBC Show and Tell.  On the way home, I had to gas up at Kwik Trip, seventh stepped both clerks, then on  to Gander Mountain for their 90% off closeout, where the first thing I spotted on the shelf was 8 boxes of Fiocchi 7,65 Para at $2.49.box......  it was a most excellent  day.

Blue Five

Quote from: Kosciusko on March 21, 2011, 12:26:15 PM
Sunday:

Handed out many, many tri-folds, flyers, RedCoats, and few AQTs to select individuals.  Lots of women and children.  I think we may have filled the line in La Crosse for April 16-17.  People were just stunned when I quoted the prices, $5, $10, "free".  Adult males were very responsive to the new Rifleman Opportunity Card.

That's great!  I am so glad that this was so successful..hopefully we get a full line this next month.

Got a Boy Scout troop leader interested, that was the second-best "get" of the weekend.

Best "get" happened in the last hour of the  show;  a fellow from the La Crosse ROTC who said he had 80 cadets and could we do something for them? 

That's even better.  Professor Gun was thinking of talking to the local boy scout and girl scout troop leaders.  Do you know if he was from La Crosse?

And 80 cadets?  Holy cow!!

Still managed to pick up some bargains   on ammo,  odds'n'ends'.    Oh, and special treat for yours truly, to be displayed at the next IBC Show and Tell.  On the way home, I had to gas up at Kwik Trip, seventh stepped both clerks, then on  to Gander Mountain for their 90% off closeout, where the first thing I spotted on the shelf was 8 boxes of Fiocchi 7,65 Para at $2.49.box......  it was a most excellent  day.

Did you manage to get that rifle you were interested in on Saturday afternoon?

I'm glad that Sunday was successful for you, Kevin.  Good to hear  O0

Vee Kay

Wow, better get my spot for April before they are all gone!  ;D

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

Kosciusko

Boy Scout leader was from NW IA, IIRC

When the ROTC guy said "80 cadets", my next words were:  "You aren't leaving this table until we exchange contact information."  Should have done that w/ the troop leader, but there were other people at the table and he wandered off with a fistfull of promo material while I was distracted.   

My new toy is and will remain a secret, but it has been on my  "to acquire"  list since I first read about it over a decade ago.   It's an order of magnitude rarer than the French MAS 49/56 I showed you at the IBC.  If you remember the name from our discussion, please don't say anything and let it be a surprise.

Blue Five

Quote from: Kosciusko on March 21, 2011, 01:17:11 PM
My new toy is and will remain a secret, but it has been on my  "to acquire"  list since I first read about it over a decade ago.   It's an order of magnitude rarer than the French MAS 49/56 I showed you at the IBC.  If you remember the name from our discussion, please don't say anything and let it be a surprise.

No worries, I'll keep it to myself..just wondered if you actually were able to get it :)

Quote from: vkf10/22
Wow, better get my spot for April before they are all gone!    ;D

Yes better hurry!  :cool2:

Kosciusko

It's the one we talked about.  He came down $100 from his asking price, and that made it a no-brainer.

Blue Five

Quote from: Kosciusko on March 21, 2011, 04:06:35 PM

It's the one we talked about.  He came down $100 from his asking price, and that made it a no-brainer.

You're a genius.  Wanna go gun shopping?

Kosciusko

professor gun

Way to go, Kosciusko.
I got an e-mail today from one of the UWL ROTC cadets regarding shooting at the La Crosse Rifle Club.  One of them is already a member and has been trying to get the rest of the UWL cadre out to shoot as much as possible, I wonder if he is the one you talked with.  They are a great bunch of kids.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

Kosciusko

contact info sent to you, dragonfly, and vmt193