News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hello... My Name is Greg and I'm a "Gun Nut"

Started by Burnett, March 15, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnett

Hey Iowans-
Greg here, live in Rockford.

Went to my first Appleseed at La Crosse, WI on the 5th & 6th of this month and had a good time and met some good people.
Most of the shooting I really relearned more than learning for the first time, but the history part was a good listen and learn.
Managed to shoot Rifleman, barely, on the last AQT on Sunday with a 212.

I would be interested in seeing if an Appleseed could be had in the Mason City/Charles City area sometime this year.
I know there is one in Northwood in September, but another would be good too.

Also, has anyone checked with Brownells to see if one could be held at their ranges in Searsboro?
They have (as of last year anyway) two 50 yard, 100 yard, and 500 yard ranges.

Let's go shootin'...

Greg

Yankeedutch

Welcome Greg,

Congrats on earning Rifleman!!
There is a connection with Brownells and there was a shoot there in the past.  It is possible another will be scheduled there in the future.
Mason City would be a good idea.  Do you know of any ranges that would work there?  We would love to move into that part of the state.
There is a new shoot posted at Decorah April 30-May 1.  

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Burnett

There is a gun club out of Mason City that has a range but not sure if it could be done there.
There is water on sight (I think) and a single portapot.
The range shack is rather small.
The biggest problem there would be the range layout; there are three ranges and basically they are all tied together.
If AS were on the short range (left end) and someone was on the long range, they all have to stop shooting for anyone to go downrange on either range.
If someone is on the shotgun range (right end) it is even worse.
If no one is on the long range then the shotgun and short range are separate, but on weekends there is almost always someone there.
All they would have to do is finish the berm between the short range and long range and turn the shotgun range 90 degrees to the south but they seem to have absolutely no interest in doing so.
That is the major reason I did not renew my membership this year.
I keep looking for a place that'd be better, but not finding anything.
There is a tiny little gun shop between Charles City and Rudd right on HWY 18 that I might go talk to to see if they would be interested in doing something.

Greg

FreedomV

Welcome Greg, congrats on your rifleman patch! And interest in promoting the program-
Get that man an Orange Hat!
Illegitimi non carborundum

Yankeedutch

Hi Greg,

If you could find a farm with a suitable and safe 25 meters that could be turned into a range we could host an Appleseed.

The next step after finding a range is promoting the event and getting people interested.

Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

JustJeff

Hey Greg... just a heads up... Appleseed is only a 7 step program.... no one here will try to cure you of being a 'gun nut.'  **)
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Alex

It sounds like we would need the whole range for that weekend, but that is how it is done at all of the other ranges here in Iowa. If you still have an in at the club it never hurts to talk to them about Appleseed, and just plant the idea of hosting one. I would be willing to drive up from central Iowa to speak to the club if that would help.
Just remember when presenting Appleseed to a prospective new range you need to explain to them why it will benefit the range. Thing like it will allow people to see the range and hopefully bring in new memberships. Let them know that the program in Iowa is growing a lot this year, and they do not want to miss out on being the first ones in there are to host an Appleseed. Like anyone remembers who the second person to do anything is. Most importantly it is good PR for the club, because who doesn't have an AWESOME time at an Appleseed. If there is anything I can do to help, or if you want some literature or fliers let me know and I will get them to you. Thank you for your efforts.

PS
There is no such thing as barely being a Rifleman. You are or you are not. Congratulations O0
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Burnett

loves2hunt59

Hi Greg,  congatulations on the Rifleman score.  Alex is right, there is no such thing as "barely" a Rifleman. Most of the Appleseeds so far have been south of Des Moines but this year we are expanding northward to Decorah and Northwood with possible venues in Cedar Rapids and Dubuque.  The Searsboro range is wonderful, Iowa-Mark held the first two Iowa Appleseeds there, but at the moment I'm not aware of any future plans for a return.   Would be glad to see an expansion into the Mason City area.  Welcome aboard.  Look forward to meeting you on the Trail.

Vic  

TN_Dadx5

Greg,

There is a range that has two dates in Decorah, IA.  The dates are Apr30-May1 and Sep 17-18.  you can find the link at
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21292.0
There are also shoots in Rochester and Winnona MN.  Congrats on shooting Rifleman and I hope we hear about you accepting an orange hat soon.

Charlie
tn_dadx5
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Alex

I am east of Ames about 15 miles, so it is only and hour or so to get up there.

Alex
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Burnett

Alex-
I remembered today that there is a gun club just outside Nashua that might be a good place.
I don't know anyone there though.
If you are interested in contacting the Mason City club I can provide contact info.

Greg