News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Mexico Scoutseed

Started by TaosGlock, March 14, 2011, 02:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Boy Scout Shoot
March 12, 2011
Las Cruces, NM.
Butterfield Range

We did a one day Scoutseed for the BSA.
There were 20 Scouts from El Paso and Las Cruces ranging in age from about 12-17.
Jon Davidson was the Troop leader and was very well organized and great to work with.
In fact all these young men were attentive and responded very well to instruction.

We were asked to provide the "marksmanship" instruction for them.
This would satisfy one of the many requirements for them to earn their "Rifle Merit Badge".

We look forward to working with them again, as this is a yearly event for the BSA here in Las Cruces

Instructors present were:
TaosGlock-SB (Dan), BlueFeather(Gillian), Jerry Hall, staplegund (Scott), traveler(Al), and Bob-our newest IIT!

A huge thank you to my instructors for all of their dedication and hard work!

We used an abbreviated and modified Appleseed COF to match the BSA's specific needs.
Per their rules, for this shoot, they were to shoot in prone with a front support, no sling using only a single shot rifle.
They need 5, 5 shot groups that break the 1 inch square on our 25M drill targets.

There were 20 shooters rotated thru 2 groups of 10. This allowed  lots of personal attention (1 instructor for 2 Scouts) and
lots of down in the dirt instruction.
Each group had but 2 ½ hours of instruction before rotated.
Lunch time was an hour of history and all Scouts were present.
These young guys did not miss a beat.
This was a great opportunity to 7th step our 2 day NM and EP events and there was much interest among all the families and Scouts.
Here are some pics:
Jerry Hall did all the pre-shooting Safety Rules, etc. as BlueFeather and traveler look on.

BlueFeather and Jerry Hall do the steady hold factors for prone. These were slightly modified for shooting off some type of front rest.

BlueFeather and staplegund.

First group shoots prone on the firing line.

Group 2. BlueFeather and Jerry Hall instruct the 6 Steps to firing the shot.

Group 2 firing prone.

"Did you hear what BlueFeather just said about what happened on Lexington Green?"
"The front line of British Regulars, without orders, fired the first volley of the day into the backs of Captain Parker's
men as they were dispersing back to their families".

"Hey remember that story Jerry Hall just told us about the North Bridge of Concord?"
"About how our superior marksmanship made the Regulars turn tail and literally run for their lives!"
"I bet we can uphold America's rifleman tradition by cleaning that Redcoat target"!

"What do you mean we are done for the day"!

Yes, it ended all to soon.
I hope all of you Boy Scouts and Troop leaders read David Hackett Fisher's book, Paul Revere's Ride.
Thanks all of you who attended this shoot!
As always, it was an honor for all of us.

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Devnull

As a former boyscout it really warms my heart to see you all working with them!

Excellent work as always!  O0

You've got to share with us how you got them on board! I've been trying to convince the troops up here to do the same with no luck so far.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

hawkhavn

Great job Team New Mexico!

Innovative thinking, applied to meet BSA requirements.

Curious, what was the other group of 10 doing while the first group was on the line?

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

POP

Dan,

My thanks to you, BF, JH, LR, Al and Bob.  Like HH, I've been trying to get Scouts here in TX on Board ... with some success. Your report here will help.  The smiles on the Scouts' faces tell it all.

Well Written.  Well Done.   O0

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

TaosGlock

I will get an internal up soon.

The other group of non-shooting Scouts (that were rotated the latter half of the day) were with the other Troop leaders.
They learn gun care and cleaning. Also parts of the rifle and cartridge and how they all relate to the firing process.
They are taught simple firearm development from flintlocks to semi-autos.
They learn more safety related items, local gun laws and hunting safety/laws and related stuff.
It is a very complete package for these young guys.
Like us, it is all volunteer and the knowledge/passion of the Troop leaders really shine bright.

The BSA has a Merit Badge Series called Rifle Shooting.
Copies are available at used books stores and you may be able to find this info online.
For you guys setting up Scoutseeds, the book will give insight on how to adapt.

Their leaders are very willing to work with us as we share a common mission.
It was a very rewarding and fulfilling event for all of us to work with such attentive young men.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

oladcock

Good job crew!

"You've got to share with us how you got them on board! I've been trying to convince the troops up here to do the same with no luck so far."

TG, see if you can get those leaders to contact other councils about their experience. Like Devnull, I've had zero luck getting our local council motivated to do anything. That seems to be par for the course on any endevor in this area however no matter what group it is or it's a failure of leadership on my part.  ::) ...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

POP

OL,
I'll share with you my experience here at the BSA Council in Corpus Christi.

Marksmanship, whether Bow and Arrow, Rifle, Shotgun, or Black Powder, is one of many hats that the Council Leadership and other Scouters wear.  Needless to say they are passionate about their mission.  However, with so many irons in the fire it is really up to "me" to gitter done. 

Additionally, related to the BSA Rifle Merit Badge (you can also get copies at your local scout council), the BSA is and has been for many many years tied to the NRA which, as you know is a great program.  While we naturally believe the Appleseed program is the best of its kind, it is precisely because Appleseed is different, because our mission is different, that our program should appeal to BSA.  We don't need to list all these right now but, ...

BSA has no way really to approve an Appleseed event as an official BSA function.  They have told me that it is fine if individual troops wanted to do an Appleseed as a non BSA function.  I have placed Appleseed literature in the bulletin racks at the local council office (with permission) and have had a few scouts come out to several events here in Texas. 

So, I'm thinking a different approach is needed.  Appleseed can teach parts of Rifle Marksmanship and Citizenship in the Nation and, probably other merit badges. 

I bet we can figure it out ... how to market AS to BSA.
POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

oladcock

"BSA has no way really to approve an Appleseed event as an official BSA function."

Yep, but when we're willing to adapt to their needs, that takes away the arguement/excuse. I used to do the archery portions at day camps. Worked great and did so for many years. Always had crappy equipment, spent many hours fixing and replacing. Had to adapt to not enough time to follow the "book" they wrote. Bottom line is I'll put in as much effort as they will. I'm sure it all depends on local leadership but they sure make easy things difficult....O.L. 
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Devnull

I'm hopeful we can adapt to their needs and by the sounds of it BF and TG found a way!  O0

I recently had to join Del Norte so we would have access to the range for the five shoots were having here this year and I met two people who are scout leaders. Naturally I started 7th stepping the instant I entered the room (Hey, Appleseed is a passion! It just seeps out of my pours!) and they were both very interested in finding a way to do it. One thing they told me was I needed my NRA instructor credentials and that was why they were there. The prospect of us teaching them the scout way and still incorporating the history really lit these guys up! I haven't been able to verify that that the NRA instructor certification is required as of yet but I'm working on it. (I have done the NRA RSO class and have a pistol inst class on the 9-10th of april. I'm still trying to find a rifle inst class so hopefully if they do require that up here I'll at least have removed it as a road block!)

Talk about teaching the future leaders of America! It really warms my heart to see all those kiddos on the line. Again, GREAT job!
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

coloradomike

As a not so long ago Scout, I really wish I'd been introduced to Appleseed back then. I had my Rifle merit badge, and shot at both Camp Alexander here in Colorado and Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, but never had any instruction like Appleseed gives. I'll have to look into getting involved with the Pikes Peak Council here in Colorado Springs to see if I could get something like this going here.

hawkhavn

TaosGlock,

Thank you for the detailed answers, sounds like an elegant solution.

I have heard from other areas of the country that troops put on scout/parent weekends with AS.  A neat double score that brings the parent into the AS presentation as well as the scout and troop leadership.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com