News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any good ideas for a youth 10/22 stocks for a 8 year old girl?

Started by dugjeep, March 11, 2011, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dugjeep

Any good ideas for a youth 10/22 stock for a 8 year old girl?

2 clicks low

Check on EBAY.COM. I'll bet you can find a factory "take off" in the range of $20. Then just get a saw and some sandpaper. I wouldn't worry about a butt plate, just a little curve will do.. As she grows, you can go back to the factory stock, or if she needs something inbetween, it'll just be another $20.

2cl

DON"T FORGET PINK SPRAY PAINT
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

nyrasgt

Several possibilities (and, I suspect, lots more responses):
1)  Ruger 10/22 CRR compact model - may still be too long, but perhaps try in a gun store to see, or find friend/AS Instructor with one.
2)  Crickett rifle:  tiny (really) single-shot bolt-action rifle - may be too small (starting to sound the the Three Bears...)
3)  Henry Repeating Arms makes "Mini-Bolt," a compact, single-shot, bolt-action...and offers significant discounts for instructors of various programs, including AS RHIs and NRA...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Camljr

I have a few I have made from regular take-offs.

I used a miter saw to cut about 4 inches off.

I had to be sure to not allow the overall length be less than 30" due to California state "assault weapon" laws.

Buy some skateboard tape... the kind used on the top of skateboards. A sheet large enough for a skateboard costs $5.

It is made to stick to wood. Trace the outline of the cut stock and cut it out with a pair of scissors.

Don't use the missus' GOOD ones... Ask me how I know... ++)

You can also use the extra skateboard tape to cut 1x4" strips and stick them the butt end of any rifle.

This prevents the rifle slipping in the shoulder pocket. Works wonders...

Sticks real good to the Ruger stock plastic buttplates, too.

Hope this helps some of you...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

spitstickler

I have one rigged up with a Tapco T6 adjustable stock. It costs more than cutting down a stock, but easily adjustable for any size shooter. Most kids think it looks "cool" too. :)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

PHenry

+1 to what Spitstlicker said - I have same and it is a great LTR - works for near anybody. Easy to control and feels a bit like an AR - fun to shoot, and that's coming from a somewhat reformed "22 snob".
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

dalesp

Quote from: spitstickler on March 11, 2011, 03:16:57 PM
I have one rigged up with a Tapco T6 adjustable stock. It costs more than cutting down a stock, but easily adjustable for any size shooter. Most kids think it looks "cool" too. :)

I just picked up one of these in pink for my daughter.  I got the last one MidwayUSA had in stock - but there are other sources . .  about $100 - but it's all pink and my daughter is going to love it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=498227

Currently out of stock but expected to be available next week.

"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."
                          ~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)

Johnnyappleseed

If it fits , the Cricket 22 by Keystone arms is a neat little single shot rifle . Has  peep sight and a built in bolt lock which opens with a provided vending machine type key.
Mine needed a new extractor after approx. 20,000 rds --- cost was 12 bucks .

The little rifle is still a hit with younger shooters.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Castle Mountain

Got your jacket for you brother.  By the way, when you get that stock, have her hold the rifle butt stock in the inside of her elbow pocket (arm held out with hand in the air)
where her trigger finger is to reach into the trigger well like she were making an 'L'. If her hand is too short it will tell you the stock is too long by that much. Merely measure (be a little on the generous side
not to take too much off and saw off what you need on the end. You can get a rubber cap that is thin to make up the difference and grow the rifle length as she gets older
with an end cap. But for now she will have a nice fitting rifle.

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

CSHR

Info given above on measurements and modifications are good.

If you plan on modifications go to your local gun show and look around, ask the people as all the inventory is often not on display. You could also post on 'deals and steals'.

IF you plan on looking to a bolt/single shot look at the Savage Cub or the same in a "T" thumbhole stock(can be purchased in pink:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219978705 or directly from the shop: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=+Savage+CUB+T+22S%2FL%2FLR+AT+PINK&osCsid=f1im526dge9ijj1k7voe3h7rj2&x=20&y=8).
It acts like a regular bolt action and you don't have the extra step of the Cricket to pull back on the cocking bolt.

I'd also avoid the Henry youth rifle as the 4 that I've handled look and feel more like a toy(workmanship problems) than a rifle.

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

dugjeep

Picked up a stock at a local gun shop for 10 bucks, project is underway.  Need Input on good paints

Castle Mountain

BROWNELLS.  Then just had an ad on quality oil base stains
Fine steel wool and a piece of terry towel to rub and polish with and you are good to go.
&)
Quote from: dugjeep on March 15, 2011, 01:55:52 AM
Picked up a stock at a local gun shop for 10 bucks, project is underway.  Need Input on good paints
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

2 clicks low

Quote from: dugjeep on March 15, 2011, 01:55:52 AM

8 year old girl. Hmmmmmmm. Go to the paint department and ask what they have in spray Barbie Pink.
Pretty much anything durable. After you cut the stock to length, sand all over. You want to rough it up enough to easily hold the paint. Mask off the screw escuschent on the bottom and use several light coats.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Garand69

If you want to get fancy with the paint get a can of "Wrinkle Black" engine enamel. After you prep the wood and prime it, mask of everything except the palm area of the forearm and the pistol grip area. If you are not using a butt plate, you could leave that un-masked as well.

Then paint those areas with the wrinkle black. Have a hair dryer or heat gun handy as heat really increases the wrinkle. Once it is all dry, un-mask and then paint it with the color of your choice. You end up with a stock that is non-slip in all the right places. O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

mtmisfit

Quote from: dugjeep on March 11, 2011, 02:19:05 PM
Any good ideas for a youth 10/22 stock for a 8 year old girl?

Blackhawk AXIOM stock, fully collapsed it has a LOP of 9.75", a full inch shorter than the TAPCO.  Fully extended the AXIOM has a LOP of 13.5" vs TAPCO's 14.5".
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."