News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

DFW Gunsmiths

Started by Zero Driver, March 09, 2011, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Driver

Hi guys!

I'm new here and looking forward to attending my first Appleseed just as soon as one lines up with a free weekend.  ;)

I'm wondering can any of you who are in the DFW area suggest a gunsmith to help me out with my LTR? Installing a new recoil buffer and working on the auto-bolt release mechanism were a big enough challenge for me. So I wanted to find someone who could complete the work on getting the tech sights and the sling studs on my 10/22.

Thanks for any help.

metalbot

You'll find that installing tech sites is actually really easy - far easier than anything you might do with the internals of your rifle.

How hard it is to install the sling swivel properly depends on what type of stock you have.  Sorry, I'm Austin based, so no DFW recommendations...
Davilla 1108

spitstickler

I agree with metalbot. If you've taken the trigger group apart and put it back together the studs won't be a problem. I personally have only used one gun smith in the area and it was a haul for me over in Ft. Worth and he primarily does AK stuff.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I have heard good things about this guy: http://www.docsgunshop.com/  You can also call the Bass Pro range in Grapevine and ask for a recommendation. They used to have a gunsmith on site, but ended up shutting that down.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

starfox

Ron at Ray's Hardware is a guy I've used and he's been involved with Appleseed.  Not sure if he would have to charge you Ray's prices or could do something on the side. 

The Tech Sights are relatively easy and the installation instructions are good.  I recommend some Uncle Mike's Gun Tite for the screws and a brass punch to remove the factory front site.

Sling mount installation is also straightforward on a wood stock.  Drill out a lead hole slightly smaller than the stud screw.  I've never tried mounting anything on synthetic stocks, so I don't know what would be involved there.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

Called a friend and he had a couple of suggestions (may be expensive):

Andrew McFarland - admgunsmithing.com

Scott Mays - Gunsmith for the Beretta gallery http://www.berettagallery.com
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

plinker

You could also try Ron over at McClelland's Gun Store.  He's the only one I trust with my High Standard pistol.

DanT

If you decide to have it done by others I recommend the smiths at Elk Castle in Fort Worth.  I've been quite pleased with the little things they've done for me & the cost has been quite reasonable. 

Elk Castle Shooting Sports‎
8240 West Freeway
Fort Worth, TX 76108
(817) 246-4622
elkcastle.com‎

Texas Rifleman

I'm in DFW. PM me and I'll help you get this done. We can do it ourselves.
Not hard at all.
Dave
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09